Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is God slipping???

Started by Mike Cl, June 19, 2022, 08:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Number of Americans who believe in God drops to historic low: Poll

https://www.yahoo.com/news/number-americans-believe-god-drops-171000253.html

"The Values and Belief poll, conducted from May 2 to 22, showed 81% of people answered that they believe in God. That is down six percentage points from the 87% of respondents who said they believed in God in the 2017 poll. This year is the lowest percentage in Gallup's trend since the public opinion polling company first asked the question in 1944.

This year's poll found 17% of Americans said they do not believe in God.

When asking the question first in 1944, again in 1947, and twice each in the 1950s and 1960s, a consistent 98% of respondents said they believed in God. When Gallup asked the question nearly five decades later, in 2011, 92% of Americans said they believed in God."

Slow slide down in believers--but better than nothing.  I see it a bit different--I think of it as a slow climb up the mountain to the top, which is reasonable thinking.  Not realistic, but this climb up is way to slow for me--but I do think it will continue.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Considering how insane certain Republicans make Christians look, it doesn't surprise me. They just keep getting worse, with their flat earths, Jewish space lasers, and attempted coups.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

aitm

It has always been my contention that as we get smarter, intelligence leads to skepticism, skepticism to doubt. Doubt to heresy, which leads eventually to dis-belief...unfortunately, the smarter part of the equation has taken a serious blow in the last 8 years.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Quote from: aitm on June 21, 2022, 06:32:41 PMunfortunately, the smarter part of the equation has taken a serious blow in the last 8 years.
Quite the understatement!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

ferdmonger

Is god slipping?  Oh man, for a long, long time. In fact, since we invented it.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 19, 2022, 08:04:51 PMSlow slide down in believers--but better than nothing.

That's 'cause you have to wait for them to fucking die.

ferdmonger

Pretty much.  And their brain-washed kids in a lot of cases... and their kids. 

Many of the kids - like me - want nothing to do with this bogus shit.

Rationality is slowing winning out. (I think and hope.)

Unbeliever

I took a poll of me, and 100% me is an unbeliever!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman