And the Democrats respond on Rape

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, February 19, 2013, 10:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davka

Quote from: "the_antithesis"You'd think an unconcealed weapon would be a better deterrent.
That's called "flashing."

mykcob4

Quote from: "Alaric I"
Quote from: "mykcob4"1) Punish the criminal NOT the victim.

3) Women need to be smarter about where they go, how they go there and with whom they go there with.

So we shouldn't punish them but we should blame them?

"It's all your fault, just try not to let it happen again." sorta thing?  No......just, no.
Did I say anything about blaming the victim. I don't think we should blame the victims at all. What I did say is that women and people in general should protect themselves by not setting themselves to be victims. If they don't, that doesn't mean we should "blame" them for being victims!

commonsense822

I gotta say most of the time I find myself leaning towards the right for various reasons when it comes to gun control.  But as far as concealed carry goes I am actually a fan of tightening up concealed carry laws.  So looks like I'm siding with the majority of everyone else here this time around.

Alaric I

Quote from: "mykcob4"

3) Women need to be smarter about where they go, how they go there and with whom they go there with.

"It's all your fault, just try not to let it happen again." sorta thing?  No......just, no.
Did I say anything about blaming the victim. I don't think we should blame the victims at all. What I did say is that women and people in general should protect themselves by not setting themselves to be victims. If they don't, that doesn't mean we should "blame" them for being victims!

How are they setting themselves up?  By walking home?  By hanging out with friends and believing they won't get slipped a roofie?  You make it sound like these women are just being idiots nad walking through the middle of central park having never been there before.

mykcob4

Obviously I don't have all the answers, no one does. I don't want women to be restricted in any way but I think people should use common sense. You can't make people have common sense. I don't like the victims should ever be blamed, even if they wear a miniskirt walk home alone at 2:30AM through a dark alley. If they get raped then they can't be held accountable.
I just think people need a gun that won't do them any good to protect them from rape. In fact women that have guns that are targeted for rape will get raped and get that gun stolen and maybe even be killed with their own gun!

Alaric I

Quote from: "mykcob4"In fact women that have guns that are targeted for rape will get raped and get that gun stolen and maybe even be killed with their own gun!

And what is to keep them from getting a tazer or pepper stolen, getting raped, and killed by some other means?

Bobby_Ouroborus

The purpose of this thread was an epic fail to begin with. The purpose was to show us all that Democrats can say stupid things about rape too.

But there is no comparison between saying that women shouldn't carry guns and shoot people just because they "feel" they are going to be assaulted and saying that women have magical vaginas that stop rape sperm from entering the womb and if the vagina magic doesn't work and you do get pregnant from rape then you should be forced to carry the rape fetus to term.

No comparison at all, not even on the same planet or reality or plane of existence.

With the Democrat we have someone being  overcautious, with the GOP's we have people living in a fairy tale. See the difference or do you need further explanation?

Mermaid

Quote from: "Plu"Reading this makes me weep for the US. I don't know of anyone ever who carries anything here, even when a single female out at night. Either you guys have a culture built around fear, or your crime numbers are off the charts.

(But I think it's the former)
We are definitely a fear-based culture. It's very sad. But violent crimes are also far too commonplace.

I was walking alone in a secluded area when I was 15 and was apprehended by a guy who jumped out of hiding and grabbed me, dragged me a ways down a RR track for seclusion and raped me.

A weapon would have been useless in my case. It is true that most rape victims know their attackers and that it doesn't usually play out like what happened to me, I am just relating my own experience. If I'd had a gun, I believe I'd be dead now.

We are a culture of violence, misogyny and subjugation. It seems to be getting worse and as a result of what happened to me as a teenager, I am constantly vigilant and in fear of being raped. It's probably protected me from having it happen again, but it's certainly not ideal. I was single until I was 40 because, while I dated, I was really afraid of men and had a hard time finding any I trusted. While walking through a less populated area in Madrid one summer a man approached me making kissy noises and tried to engage me in conversation. I freaked the fuck out, screamed and ran. The guy probably thought I was a lunatic. Or maybe he recognized me as an American.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Quote from: "mykcob4"

You are blaming the victims in your third bullet point. Women need to be smarter about where we go? How about "Men need to not rape women"?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

FlatEarth1024

Quote from: "Plu"
Quote3) Women need to be smarter about where they go, how they go there and with whom they go there with.

Maybe we should put them in a veil and only allow them to go out when accompanied by a male?

Jesus H Christ.  Not this fuckin' argument again.  Women need to make smarter decisions about what, where and when they go and do.  In Fantasyland, anyone can go anywhere they want any time of the day and night, and with a cocked brow they will stop any attack because, you know...No Means No!!!

Unfortunately, Fantasyland does not exist anywhere but in the wishful imaginations of dreamers and the self-delusional.  There will always be dangerous places.  There will always be dangerous situations.  There will always be dangerous people.  The ONLY thing a woman can do to protect herself is to be conscious of where she is, who she is with, and the possible problems a particular circumstance may present.  It's an unfortunate imposition on one's freedom for sure, but stumbling into a honky-tonk all alone at 2 am on a lonely road is probably not the smartest thing in the world a woman can do to ensure her own safety.  That's a simple fact, not some male chauvinistic way of "blaming the victim".

Nonsensei

So either women can be aware of their surroundings and take precautions or we can attempt to alter the human race so that nobody ever rapes anyone ever again.

Feminism is the pursuit of the latter solution.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

GodvReligion

Quote from: "FlatEarth1024"

Quote from: "Plu"
Quote3) Women need to be smarter about where they go, how they go there and with whom they go there with.

Maybe we should put them in a veil and only allow them to go out when accompanied by a male?

Jesus H Christ.  Not this fuckin' argument again.  Women need to make smarter decisions about what, where and when they go and do.  In Fantasyland, anyone can go anywhere they want any time of the day and night, and with a cocked brow they will stop any attack because, you know...No Means No!!!

Yet nobody is saying anything about a "Fantasyland", we are merely pointing out the flaw in which he says it.

QuoteUnfortunately, Fantasyland does not exist anywhere but in the wishful imaginations of dreamers and the self-delusional.  There will always be dangerous places.  There will always be dangerous situations.  There will always be dangerous people.  The ONLY thing a woman can do to protect herself is to be conscious of where she is, who she is with, and the possible problems a particular circumstance may present.  It's an unfortunate imposition on one's freedom for sure, but stumbling into a honky-tonk all alone at 2 am on a lonely road is probably not the smartest thing in the world a woman can do to ensure her own safety.  That's a simple fact, not some male chauvinistic way of "blaming the victim".

Depends, if the honk-tonk isn't known to the woman and is in an unfamiliar area then yes, not the smartest place to go alone for anyone really.  If she is familiar with it and knows the people there should be no reason for her to believe there are any issues. The way he made it sound as if women were constantly going to unfamiliar areas with unfamiliar people.

Jack89

Quote from: "the_antithesis"You'd think an unconcealed weapon would be a better deterrent.
I disagree.  Open carry just makes people who are unfamiliar with firearms uncomfortable around you.  Out on the trail it's fine, but around town it seems a little rude.  

On the other hand, liberal concealed carry laws can benefit everyone since the bad guys aren't sure if you're carrying or not, and for the same reason no one is offended.

Plu

QuoteUnfortunately, Fantasyland does not exist anywhere but in the wishful imaginations of dreamers and the self-delusional. There will always be dangerous places. There will always be dangerous situations. There will always be dangerous people. The ONLY thing a woman can do to protect herself is to be conscious of where she is, who she is with, and the possible problems a particular circumstance may present. It's an unfortunate imposition on one's freedom for sure, but stumbling into a honky-tonk all alone at 2 am on a lonely road is probably not the smartest thing in the world a woman can do to ensure her own safety. That's a simple fact, not some male chauvinistic way of "blaming the victim".

Actually, Fantasyland does exist. There are no places and times where I live where I'd not advice a lone female to go, unless I'd advice nobody to go there. This whole "the woman is weak and everyone is out to rape her" culture doesn't exist here. There are safe places and dangerous places, but there aren't any places that are only dangerous for women.

That's the whole problem with this claim. Everyone should be aware of their surroundings and not go to dangerous places alone, but it's ridiculous to claim that the requirement of being safe and walking around with another applies only to women.

And if it does, that doesn't mean that places that have it better are "fantasyland", it means you're living in "shitholeland".

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca