And the Democrats respond on Rape

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, February 19, 2013, 10:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

commonsense822

Quote from: "Bobby_Ouroborus"You can't see the difference between saying women have magical vaginas that prevent rape sperm and if they do get pregnant from rape it is God's will and they have to keep the rape baby and some guy saying that having a gun just because you feel you are going to get rape is bad? Both are stupid statements but the statements that the Republicans made regarding rape are stupid in such a magnitude it borders on the obscene.

But you probably cannot see the difference.

I never said that what the Republican Party has said on rape isn't detestable.  I'm not arguing who has made the worst comments on rape here.  My entire point, which you seemed to have completely missed, was that liberals tend to ignore the stupid shit said by their own party leaders just the same as conservatives do, all in the interest of feeling morally superior than the "other side"

Quote from: "Bobby_Ouroborus"So what you are saying is that a few loudmouth Republicans make a stupid statement about rape and we shouldn't paint all of them with a broadbrush? Right?

Well isn't it the platform of the ENTIRE Republican party to banned abortions period with no exceptions? I didn't see any exceptions to rape or incest in their 2012 platform. Did you?

You're clearly misunderstanding the difference between the views of politicians pandering to their majority voting block, and the views of the entire constituency of the Republican party.  I live in Massachusetts, and it's a pretty liberal state.  There are still a good amount of Republicans up here, and you would be hard pressed to find one that agreed with the Republican's 2012 platform on rape.  So yes, I am saying that we shouldn't paint them all with a broadbrush, because that would be the ignorant thing to do.

By the way again just want to point out the hypocrisy.  The majority of liberals will tell you that profiling and stereotyping is a horrible thing.  Although this rule is allowed to be broken when it comes to being able to profile and stereotype the opposing party.  None of them are suburban Republicans, or libertarians.  They are all ignorant, white, southern Christians.  That's the hypocrisy.  Don't stereotype people, well....except for the people we don't like.

Mermaid

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Can I talk you into shots of Jameson sometime?
*grin*
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmaybe.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Alaric I

Quote from: "Bobby_Ouroborus"
Quote from: "Alaric I"
Quote from: "Bobby_Ouroborus"Actually the legal definition of murder is the killing of a person with intent and malice aforethought with no legal excuse or authority.

A woman should have authority over her own body. So abortion =/= murder.

Which is thus defined as a human being. SO are unborn children not human beings?

Edit, I forgot to address your point of the change in wording.  You are correct, it does say person.

No. Unborn fetii are human fetii not human beings. You are a human being when you exhibit the attributes of personhood, of acting human. A fetus can't really act.

Fair enough.

Alaric I

Quote from: "Aroura33"
Quote from: "Bobby_Ouroborus"
Quote from: "Alaric I"Yes, but the seed has been planted, I have heard many democrats say that the 2nd amendment is out of date and should be repealed.  I might take some time, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did end up being their national platform.

There is a difference between amended and repealed.
To add, there is also a difference between might (become a platform) and is (a platform).  

I could argue might, maybe, and if a lot of things, but we are talking about things that are, not the many things that might be.

Yet to ignore what could be a very real threat is foolish.

Aroura33

Quote from: "Alaric I"
Quote from: "Aroura33"
Quote from: "Bobby_Ouroborus"There is a difference between amended and repealed.
To add, there is also a difference between might (become a platform) and is (a platform).  

I could argue might, maybe, and if a lot of things, but we are talking about things that are, not the many things that might be.

Yet to ignore what could be a very real threat is foolish.
Only if I view it as a threat. Maybe I agree that the 2nd amendmend could use an amendment.   :-D
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

The Non Prophet

Quote from: "mykcob4"1) Punish the criminal NOT the victim.

which was fine until you said..

3) Women need to be smarter about where they go, how they go there and with whom they go there with.

Punish the victim by limiting what she does? Where I live, that's called tyranny.