And the Democrats respond on Rape

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, February 19, 2013, 10:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackL1ght

I don't see how a gun is going to be more help than a tazer anyway. If they're trying to rape you, they're not going to run screaming at you from 100 yards. They're going to be right there. So taze 'em.
Vi veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Alaric I

The issue is the choice of words.  He worded it very poorly, had he said something like "We don't need to make these situations worse because the possibilty of rape exists", then there probably would not have been an issue.

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "BlackL1ght"I don't see how a gun is going to be more help than a tazer anyway. If they're trying to rape you, they're not going to run screaming at you from 100 yards. They're going to be right there. So taze 'em.
And I don't think that's any more effective than pepper spray. A tazer is still "a gun" and requires an aimed single shot or the cattle prod type that are melee weapons needing direct contact. Pepper spray has range and you can basically find your target cause you hold the button down for a continuous spray. It's also lightweight, convenient, and most college women just have it attached to their keychain and/or dorm key fob. I doubt the average female college student is likely to be terribly skilled with weapons or have the time and desire to go to a range regularly. Giving more deadly weapons (even tazers have killed) to untrained people is not going to fix anything. KISS. The guy in the OP article is right. Campuses these days have call boxes scattered around campus so that you're never out of site of one, most women carry whistles and/or pepper spray, and most walk in groups at night, so all that's going to prevent random attacks as much as anything. Adding guns won't help.

Something tells me a big portion of rapes on a college campus are more of the date rape variety anyways. None of these matter much in that case.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

Plu

Reading this makes me weep for the US. I don't know of anyone ever who carries anything here, even when a single female out at night. Either you guys have a culture built around fear, or your crime numbers are off the charts.

(But I think it's the former)

Mister Agenda

Quote from: "the_antithesis"You'd think an unconcealed weapon would be a better deterrent.

Only for the person carrying it. Concealed weapons raise the spectre that any victim might be armed.

Interestingly, both people who claim concealed carry laws will increase crime and those who claim it will reduce crime significantly seem to be wrong. There may be a very weak crime reduction effect, but if so it is too small or variable to be found consistently across studies.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fac ... _blog.html
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

SGOS

Quote from: "Plu"Either you guys have a culture built around fear, or your crime numbers are off the charts.

We like our guns.  They go good with our 10 gallon hats and spurs.  We like to swagger around and say things like, "I got me an itchy trigger finger," or "This town ain't big enough for you and me, Partner," and we're all headed out to Arizona Territory, where the railroad is comin' through, and they shoot varmints.

Plu

I don't know if you're trying to be demeaning or sarcastic or whatever. Your post is kinda hard to interpret.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"Colorado Democrat Under Fire For Suggesting Female College Students Fearing Rape Should Not Have Access To Concealed Guns

"It's why we have call boxes, it's why we have safe zones, that's why we have the whistles. Because you just don't know who you're gonna be shooting at. And you don't know if you feel like you're gonna be raped."

[youtube:1d1mqeal]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCvng-jSp60[/youtube:1d1mqeal]

I wondered how the Democrats were going to save the Republicans from themselves and thus preserve the duopoly.  It seems they're joining in the rape silliness. Girls, you you don't know what you feel.  If you feel threatened, you might not actually feel that.

ACKkkk!  Great (sarcasm)
Stupid squared.

I...just.......I'm so......it's ....but....... I can't...........

I just don't have words.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

SGOS

Quote from: "Plu"I don't know if you're trying to be demeaning or sarcastic or whatever. Your post is kinda hard to interpret.
I'm just having fun.  It was satire.

Plu

Ah, ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

Alaric I

Quote from: "Plu"Reading this makes me weep for the US. I don't know of anyone ever who carries anything here, even when a single female out at night. Either you guys have a culture built around fear, or your crime numbers are off the charts.

I'm sorry, being new here I don't know where you are from.  This would be helpful for me in this discussion.

widdershins

Quote from: "Alaric I"
Quote from: "widdershins"And now you're joining in the silliness, pretending that "feeling threatened" is the same as "about to be raped", which is exactly what the man in the story was trying to point out wasn't the case.

I'm pretty sure that the feeling like you are going to raped is feeling threatened.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's true.  However, I wasn't talking about "feeling like you are going to be raped", I was talking about "about to be raped".  One is a feeling, one is a reality.  One does not justify killing a man, one does.  There is a very big difference between "feeling threatened" and "being threatened".  A "feeling" does not necessarily reflect the reality of the situation, which, I believe, is the point that Jason, probably intentionally, ignored.
This sentence is a lie...

Plu

QuoteI'm sorry, being new here I don't know where you are from. This would be helpful for me in this discussion.

The Netherlands, so Western Europe.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Plu"Reading this makes me weep for the US. I don't know of anyone ever who carries anything here, even when a single female out at night. Either you guys have a culture built around fear, or your crime numbers are off the charts.

I think it's actually the politicians stoking fear in order to make themselves appear more useful.  It's hard to look like you're "solving a problem" unless there are problems around.

And if they're not around, then it's hard to appear useful, or so our politicians seem to think.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Alaric I

Quote from: "widdershins"
Quote from: "Alaric I"
Quote from: "widdershins"And now you're joining in the silliness, pretending that "feeling threatened" is the same as "about to be raped", which is exactly what the man in the story was trying to point out wasn't the case.

I'm pretty sure that the feeling like you are going to raped is feeling threatened.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's true.  However, I wasn't talking about "feeling like you are going to be raped", I was talking about "about to be raped".  One is a feeling, one is a reality.  One does not justify killing a man, one does.  There is a very big difference between "feeling threatened" and "being threatened".  A "feeling" does not necessarily reflect the reality of the situation, which, I believe, is the point that Jason, probably intentionally, ignored.

This is very true, which is why I say it is a bad choice of words by the representitive.  I really think that all states should require an extensive class in gun safety before they issue CCW permits so nobody goes off half-cocked and starts to shoot because someone is walking in the same direction they are.