And the Democrats respond on Rape

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, February 19, 2013, 10:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Harvestdancer

Colorado Democrat Under Fire For Suggesting Female College Students Fearing Rape Should Not Have Access To Concealed Guns

"It's why we have call boxes, it's why we have safe zones, that's why we have the whistles. Because you just don't know who you're gonna be shooting at. And you don't know if you feel like you're gonna be raped."

[youtube:2r0i3ozg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCvng-jSp60[/youtube:2r0i3ozg]

I wondered how the Democrats were going to save the Republicans from themselves and thus preserve the duopoly.  It seems they're joining in the rape silliness.  Girls, you you don't know what you feel.  If you feel threatened, you might not actually feel that.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

the_antithesis

I'm not sure if concealed weapon permits are are not just replacing one problem with another.

[youtube:2a7bwsxj]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unWBr88wytc[/youtube:2a7bwsxj]

widdershins

Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"Colorado Democrat Under Fire For Suggesting Female College Students Fearing Rape Should Not Have Access To Concealed Guns

"It's why we have call boxes, it's why we have safe zones, that's why we have the whistles. Because you just don't know who you're gonna be shooting at. And you don't know if you feel like you're gonna be raped."

[youtube:21mnvpho]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCvng-jSp60[/youtube:21mnvpho]

I wondered how the Democrats were going to save the Republicans from themselves and thus preserve the duopoly.  It seems they're joining in the rape silliness.  Girls, you you don't know what you feel.  If you feel threatened, you might not actually feel that.
And now you're joining in the silliness, pretending that "feeling threatened" is the same as "about to be raped", which is exactly what the man in the story was trying to point out wasn't the case.
This sentence is a lie...

the_antithesis

You'd think an unconcealed weapon would be a better deterrent.

Alaric I

Quote from: "widdershins"And now you're joining in the silliness, pretending that "feeling threatened" is the same as "about to be raped", which is exactly what the man in the story was trying to point out wasn't the case.

I'm pretty sure that the feeling like you are going to raped is feeling threatened.

Plu

Feeling threatened is like feeling you are going to be raped.

Feeling you are threatened doesn't imply that you are going to be raped though.

That said I have not yet watched the video, and I'll do so later when I have the time.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"Colorado Democrat Under Fire For Suggesting Female College Students Fearing Rape Should Not Have Access To Concealed Guns

[youtube:246n3rwd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCvng-jSp60[/youtube:246n3rwd]

Oh here we go again with "you can prevent a violent crime with another violent crime" bullshit. The fact is that women carrying concealed weapons are every bit as vunerable as those who don't to a surprize attack. Most rapes are committed by people whom the victims knows. Weapons won't deminish rapes. The repukes have had a war on women forever and they have up'd that war in the last tens years.
To prevent rape you need to do several things.
1) Punish the criminal NOT the victim.
2) Take every rape allegation SERIOUSLY.
3) Women need to be smarter about where they go, how they go there and with whom they go there with.
4) "NO" means "NO!" and everyone should know that and made to know that!
5) The culture has to change. Men need to quit objectifying women and see them as human beings. This primal urge nonsense is way out of control.

Plu

Quote3) Women need to be smarter about where they go, how they go there and with whom they go there with.

Maybe we should put them in a veil and only allow them to go out when accompanied by a male?

Alaric I

Quote from: "mykcob4"1) Punish the criminal NOT the victim.

3) Women need to be smarter about where they go, how they go there and with whom they go there with.

So we shouldn't punish them but we should blame them?

"It's all your fault, just try not to let it happen again." sorta thing?  No......just, no.

the_antithesis

Nonsensei

I think his point is a fine one. Some women really do see rapists around every corner and behind every bush, and I don't want those women to have guns. Primarily because I don't want to be shot.

Her right to not be raped does not trump my right to not be shot for being perceived as a potential rapist.

Get a tazer. Get some mace. Giving women the power of life and death and allowing them to exercise it based on their imperfect perceptions of men is a mistake. No rapes will be prevented. The only thing that can come of this is some poor motherfucker walking behind a woman at night takes two to the chest because he "looked creepy".
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Thumpalumpacus

Well, I think if carrying is allowed, women should be able to carry too.

If carrying is not allowed, then an exception ought not be carved out for women.

So far as I know, Colorado allows open carriage of weapons without a permit so long as the municipality doesn't bar it.
<insert witty aphorism here>

BarkAtTheMoon

This whole thing is also about college students, generally places that are gun free. Should we really have a problem with someone suggesting the women on campus not be allowed concealed carry because they might get raped? Almost every woman I knew in college had pepper spray already anyway and that was years ago. Why add guns?
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

the_antithesis

Quote from: "BarkAtTheMoon"Should we really have a problem with someone suggesting the women on campus not be allowed concealed carry because they might get raped?

Or for any reason? They keep saying rape because it's a hot button topic and elicits an emotional response. It's disrespectful to those who have been raped to use this tactic.

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "the_antithesis"
Quote from: "BarkAtTheMoon"Should we really have a problem with someone suggesting the women on campus not be allowed concealed carry because they might get raped?

Or for any reason? They keep saying rape because it's a hot button topic and elicits an emotional response. It's disrespectful to those who have been raped to use this tactic.
Yeah, no different than the hubbub for concealed carry on campus after V Tech or any other mass shooting including Sandy Hook. Using emotional arguments for pushing for new laws generally leads to bad laws being written.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard