Biden Has Approved the Most Federal Oil/Gas Permits Since Bush

Started by Shiranu, August 13, 2021, 10:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Despite a Pledge to Ban It, Oil and Gas Permitting Is Up Under Biden | Audubon

QuoteOn the campaign trail, President Joe Biden made a bold promise to ban oil and gas permitting on federally owned land. Then, just days after taking office, he laid down a federal leasing moratorium, part of a set of sweeping executive orders on climate change.

The pause would give the administration time “to review and reset the oil and gas leasing program,” Biden said at the time.

How that program is run has big stakes for the climate; the U.S. Geological Survey estimates that roughly a quarter of all U.S. carbon emissions come from federal oil, gas, and coal extraction. As this week’s report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change makes clear, burning those fossil fuels has caused dangerous global warming, and the window to avoid catastrophic consequences is closing fast.

And yet, the White House is on pace to hand out more oil and gas drilling permits this year than any under President Trump and the most since George W. Bush left the Oval Office. The boom, first reported by the Associated Press, undercuts the president’s climate agenda and infuriates environmentalists demanding more aggressive action. It also exposes what activists say are fundamental legal and bureaucratic problems in the federal fossil fuel program that predate Biden by decades.

Wait, you mean to tell me the system that is rigged to make sure the corrupt and treasonous asshole or the incompetent asshole who pledged to get us back to "business as usual" are our only options doesn't actually work for the people?

We are actually watching an act of global genocide of the aristocracy against the proletariat, and yet we still have a third of the nation, half of it's ruling party, arguing that the scientists are lying that it's even happening (as they watch their own country and the rest of the world burn to ash around them).

As for the other half, they promise that they will return us to what got us in this mess in the first place so things can go back to normal. Yaaaaaaaayyyy.

Even by dystopian standards our leaders are fucking garbage.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Draconic Aiur

Well outright banning it will not solve the problem. Of course Biden lied about that because that would help kill the economy he's trying to save.

Shiranu

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on August 13, 2021, 03:40:17 PM
Well outright banning it will not solve the problem.

Yeah, but increasing pollution isn't going to solve the problem either, which is exactly what he is doing.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

But...but he has an all-electric fleet.  That wouldn't be all for show, would it?

would it?

Hydra009

https://www.businessinsider.com/biden-climate-change-crisis-gas-prices-oil-opec-un-report-2021-8

QuoteThe United Nations on Monday released a harrowing report saying some of global warming's effects will be "irreversible for centuries to millennia."

Two days later, President Joe Biden called for an increase in the production of fossil fuels to help with the economic recovery.
LMAO.

QuoteBiden continues to tout his infrastructure plan as a win for the climate, and when asked about Biden's OPEC-related comments during a press briefing, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said: "We know that they have supply that's available that can be accessed, and that's what we're really referring to here."
???

SGOS

This is something that is coming into public view, and is not going to go well for Biden.  Two months, ago the Montana Wilderness rejoiced over the cutting back of oil and gas permits under Biden.  They other day I received information that it was a false hope.  While this will keep global warming speeding along, it also wrecks a lot of public lands, which is the Wilderness Association's main issue.  It's just environmentally bad on all levels.

NPR talked about Biden's environmental dance yesterday.  They neither applauded it or criticized it.  They just explained it and avoided criticizing Biden.  But it is a two faced politician's game.  Biden is a moderate.  This is one of the reasons he was my last choice as a nominee.  He's better than Trump, but that is such a low standard, that it's well below positive territory, and he's still creating a disaster.  He's trying to compromise between smart and stupid and erring towards really stupid, while doing the worst possible thing for the future of the country and the world.

Shiranu

One massive disappointment for me was that I really bought into Deb Haaland being nominated for Secretary of the Interior as a sign that Biden and his admin would be listening to Native voices on the environment... and full respect to what she has achieved, but my guess is she has little to no real power over the corporations and firms that run the oil industry.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/08/09/magazine/winona-laduke-interview.html

QuoteRight now in northern Minnesota, the Canadian oil-and-gas-transport company Enbridge is building an expansion of a pipeline, Line 3, to carry oil through fragile parts of the state’s watersheds as well as treaty-protected tribal lands. Winona LaDuke, a member of the local Ojibwe tribe and a longtime Native rights activist, has been helping to lead protests and acts of civil disobedience against the controversial $9.3 billion project. “I spend a lot of time,” she says, “fighting stupid ideas that are messing with our land and our people.”

“I have had the highest hopes for the Biden administration,” LaDuke says, “only to have them crushed.” Not long after we spoke, LaDuke was arrested and jailed for violating the conditions of her release on earlier protest-related charges, which required her to avoid Enbridge’s worksites. She has since been released.

"He’s hellbent on destroying Ojibwe people with this pipeline. Why do we get the last tar-sands pipeline, Joe? It’s kind of like when John Kerry went and testified to Congress against the Vietnam War and said, Who’s going to tell that soldier that he’s the last one to die for a bad war? Who’s going to tell those Ojibwes that they’re the last ones to be destroyed for a bad tar-sands pipeline? What’s right about this? I organized people to vote for Biden. I drove people to the polls through seas of Trump signs. I drove Indian people to vote who hadn’t voted in 20 years. And what did we get from Joe? A pipeline shoved down our throats. ...

...I think it’s a trade-off for him: I canceled Keystone, and so we’ll just let this one go through, because it’s a replacement pipe. It’s not. It’s a new pipe. It’s horrendous. It’s a violation of not only the treaties but also every ounce of common sense. It’s a drought right now. But Enbridge put in an amendment: They get five billion gallons of water out of a region where rivers are 75 percent below normal.

Shiranu

QuoteNPR talked about Biden's environmental dance yesterday.  They neither applauded it or criticized it.  They just explained it and avoided criticizing Biden.  But it is a two faced politician's game.  Biden is a moderate.  This is one of the reasons he was my last choice as a nominee.

Exactly the same problem I had with voting for him. What we call a "moderate" is anything but; being a moderate means you see a side that is right, a side that is wrong... and say you don't want to offend either so you'll give the side that is wrong what they want.

Wanting a clean environment is not "radical". Wanting people to be treated fairly is not "radical"... but we have reached a point where things that 80%+ of the population believe is right is considered "too radical" for politicians to support. What type of bullshit is that?

I don't remember the quote being, "A government of the aristocracy, by the aristocracy, for the aristocracy.".

Cassia

-Yeah, it's wonderful. The young (and old morons) can't be bothered with a mask to save old people's lives and the old people can't be bothered with green policies to stop the world from exploding in 40 years. It's all about me, my moment, the now. Live in the now was all I heard for 30 years. The great causes are all really about if they apply to me right now or not...or making me feel good about myself, right now. Fucking Americans...shoveling meat in our fat faces while petting our comfort cats. It is all very comical, really. Guilty as charged right here. Takes a while.

Cassia

Biden really is having a hell of a month or 2...Vaccine slowdown, delta variant going viral and Afghanistan of course going super fast to where it really wants to be and his son Hunter is a real trip. And a whole shit-ton of people (especially Southern state Governors) crazier and stupider than ever. Ahh but infrastructure bill !!!

The same lesson to unlearn again concerning 'helping' to pacify and democratize another country???

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cassia on August 14, 2021, 07:37:35 PM

The same lesson to unlearn again concerning 'helping' to pacify and democratize another country???

The Afgan war was what Cheney (read as 'corporations') wanted and got.  It was doomed from the start--except corps made a shit-ton of money from it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Biden is probably not doing this to win some Republican votes.  They won't vote for him anyway.  It's more likely that he's just "old school" and in still in bed with the oil industry.

Shiranu

Quote from: SGOS on September 07, 2021, 06:17:56 AM
Biden is probably not doing this to win some Republican votes.  They won't vote for him anyway.  It's more likely that he's just "old school" and in still in bed with the oil industry.

I know, I know... these charts are not necessarily accurate and where they fall varies based on test used, but 9/10 times you will find Dems like Biden where he is on this graph (the "official" political compass test puts him closer to authoritarian and right-wing, and I would be prone to agree with that) and I think that the general message is still conveyed...

While Biden and the DNC are slightly less authoritarian than the GOP (and I would like to stress the word "slightly"), on economic policies the two are generally the same party. The difference is far more one of social policy than economic.

Blackleaf

When Biden was elected, I pretty much expected him to do little to disturb the status quo. I hoped for better, but I guess he's not going pleasantly surprise me. I mean, at least he ended our pointless War on Terror...in the messiest way possible.

As a nation, we seem to be stuck between two shitty options. We have Republicans who try to drag us back to the Stone Age, and Democrats who aspire for normalcy. We have no party for positive change. No viable options, anyway, thanks to our two party system.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

Update: After cancelling it once for backlash in March, and cancelling it another time in August after being sued, the United States will now be auctioning off 80 million acres of the Gulf of Mexico for oil drilling; all while being in the middle of the COP26 conference talking about how we need to become more environmentally friendly.

This is larger than the area Trump had offered and will be the largest oil lease in US history; to give some context, it is an area larger than the state of New Mexico.

http://redgreenandblue.org/2021/11/13/biden-admin-launching-huge-fossil-fuel-lease-sale-middle-cop26/

Quote=November 17 auction is the subject of a lawsuit filed by Earthjustice on behalf of Friends of the Earth, Healthy Gulf, Center for Biological Diversity, and Sierra Club.

The groups’ letter notes that next week’s lease sale “will result in the production of up to 1.12 billion barrels and 4.4 trillion cubic feet of fossil fuels over the next 50 years.”