Religion 'Cause Of Evil Not Force For Good'....

Started by Youssuf Ramadan, June 27, 2013, 02:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youssuf Ramadan

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/06 ... reloaded=1

QuoteReligion 'Cause Of Evil Not Force For Good' More Young People Believe

More young people in Britain believe that religion is a cause of evil rather than a force for good, according to a new YouGov poll.
The place of religion in the lives of 18-24 year olds is smaller than ever, with politicians, brand names and celebrities having more influence than religious figures in the day-to-day decisions of young people.
Additionally, the YouGov poll for The Sun showed the reputation of religion amongst young people is actually more negative than neutral: 41% agree that "religion is more often the cause of evil in the world" and only 14% say it is a cause for good.

The 2011 Census showed religion was declining, with those identifying themselves as having no religion has increased by 10 percentage points from 15%, 7.7 million people, in 2001 to 25%, 14.1 million, last year.
Around 59% of the population described themselves as Christian and only a quarter reported having no religion. However amongst young people, the YouGov poll found only 25% believed in God.
This was considerably less than the 38% who professed to not believe in any God or spiritual power whatsoever, while 19% said they believed in some non-Godlike "spiritual greater power."
A Church of England spokesperson said: "It is unsurprising that this sample of less than 1,000 people gives a different result than a Census of tens of millions of people. Even then these figures show more people choosing belief over non-belief. "

QuoteEven then these figures show more people choosing belief over non-belief.

It depends on your definition of 'belief', I guess.  I know a plenty of people that would broadly term themselves as 'Christian' as a matter of heritage rather than any supernatural belief.

Glenifir

this is very interesting... if figures continue to rise like this hopefully the majority will be free from religion in the next 20 years :D

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "Glenifir"this is very interesting... if figures continue to rise like this hopefully the majority will be free from religion in the next 20 years :D

Mate... that would be awesome!  :afro:

Voskhod

This reminds me of a quote I had heard long ago that I honestly think is spot on. Forgot who said it though.
"With or without religion, evil men will do evil things, and good men will do good things. But for good men to do evil things...That requires religion."
[size=100]
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." -H.P. Lovecraft
[/size][/b]

Solitary

I agree, and I would to that---"that requires military training."  :shock:   Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

LikelyToBreak

Voskhod, I believe the quote is from Steven Weinberg.  At least according to Yahoo.
And from another newbie Welcome!

Solitary wrote:
QuoteI agree, and I would to that---"that requires military training." :shock: Solitary

Having had military training, I can't help but wonder what you mean by that.  Could you elaborate on that?  I don't see the correlation.  :-s

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: "Voskhod"This reminds me of a quote I had heard long ago that I honestly think is spot on. Forgot who said it though.
"With or without religion, evil men will do evil things, and good men will do good things. But for good men to do evil things...That requires religion."
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." —Stephen Weinburg.

Yes, THAT Stephen Weinburg, of Salam, Glashow and Weinberg fame.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu