Another Species of Human

Started by SGOS, June 26, 2021, 04:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/25/science/dragon-man-skull-china.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_20210626&instance_id=33979&nl=todaysheadlines&regi_id=129705843&segment_id=61846&user_id=33a2a6e6868fd65c48b0f219d16ed7c2

It was years ago studying physical anthropology that I learned about this "Man" or that "Man".  It was one of the most enjoyable classes I ever had, and as a Freshman, I considered changing my major, but then what would I do with a degree in anthropology?  We know less about ourselves than we do the truly ancient dinosaurs, and since my college days, much of what we knew has been reorganized, with a more refined chain of human ancestry.

Now this new fellow comes along.  We no longer hear about the missing link, as if there is only one of them that needs to be discovered to prove we came from the apes.  I guess that argument has run it's course, but this one may do nicely.  Dragon Man is not part dragon.  He was discovered in Dragon Valley, just so that that the anti-evolution folks don't get confused.

And at this time, it's interesting, but we still need to see what the scientists actually think after the media is done with it.  It does seem like a rather important find, however.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cassia

I think I ran across one drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. Every hair was perfect.

SGOS

150,000 years of human progress, 98% of which happened in the last 200 years.  No doubt these early humans progressed but it's hard to compare rates.  Was harnessing fire as big a step as HTML?  Assuming we have always had the same mental capacity, it seems like we didn't do much for the first 148,000 years.  I know brain size does not determine intelligence.  Do you think Dragon Man communicated with language, or did he just grunt and snuffle?  And why did he take so long to invent writing?

We humans created by God have only been here for 6,000 years and could talk immediately upon creation and were writing on stone tablets a thousand years later.  But these others seemed awfully lazy or dumb.

viocjit

We Homo Sapiens are only the one species that survived among the genus homo.

What is this genus ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo

SGOS

Quote from: Cassia on June 26, 2021, 08:05:15 AM
I think I ran across one drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. Every hair was perfect.
I remember my anthropology professor commenting, "If you ran into an actual Neanderthal on the street today, you wouldn't go running away screaming in fear.  You would probably just think he was a professional wrestler."

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on June 26, 2021, 09:12:29 AM
I remember my anthropology professor commenting, "If you ran into an actual Neanderthal on the street today, you wouldn't go running away screaming in fear.  You would probably just think he was a professional wrestler."
Or a Fox News commentator.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers