DoJ Says it can "Vigorously" Defend Funding Anti-LGBT Discriminating Schools

Started by Shiranu, June 09, 2021, 05:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

DOJ says it can 'vigorously' defend exemption to anti-LGBT discrimination laws for religious schools (msn.com)

QuoteThe Department of Justice (DOJ) said in a court filing this week it can "vigorously" defend an exemption to anti-LGBT discrimination laws for religious schools amid a lawsuit over funding for such institutions.

The filing Tuesday noted that the DOJ's "ultimate objective is to defend the statutory exemption and its current application" by the Department of Education (DOE), which is being sued by 40 LGBT students.

The students, who attend conservative religious schools, are suing the department for providing funding to colleges and universities that they say have discriminatory policies.

The schools in the lawsuit - Hunter v. Department of Education - argue that they have the First Amendment right to promote their own religious beliefs on sexuality and gender.

The Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU), which counts many of the schools named in the lawsuit as members, said in May that they could not trust the Biden administration to fully defend them and pushed to get involved in the case, The Washington Post noted.

Good to know our Justice Departments priority is in the right place. But hey, they don't pay taxes, they receive tax money and they aren't expected to follow the law... that's what freedom of religion is all about, right?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

"The schools in the lawsuit - Hunter v. Department of Education - argue that they have the First Amendment right to promote their own religious beliefs on sexuality and gender."

Seems like a pretty cut-and-dry case of "your right to swing your fists ends at my nose".  Dunno why this sort of thing wasn't settled decades ago.

Also, a rule of thumb: if there wasn't a cross on the side of the building, would this discrimination be acceptable?

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 09, 2021, 05:29:32 PM
"The schools in the lawsuit - Hunter v. Department of Education - argue that they have the First Amendment right to promote their own religious beliefs on sexuality and gender."

Seems like a pretty cut-and-dry case of "your right to swing your fists ends at my nose".  Dunno why this sort of thing wasn't settled decades ago.

Also, a rule of thumb: if there wasn't a cross on the side of the building, would this discrimination be acceptable?

Conservative logic 101: "Laws for thee, not for me."
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SvZurich

I hope Garland and Biden wake up and stop crap like this. Bernie would have.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.