Is the bible and jesus really true?

Started by luke, June 09, 2021, 05:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassia

Quote from: SGOS on July 29, 2021, 07:59:01 AM
I always assumed the Greeks believed in their Gods.  There would be skeptics of course.  But I have no knowledge to support my assumption.  On the other hand, who is to say the writers of the Bible actually believed what they were writing?
I do think they believed in their gods but I thought the stories about them were for education and entertainment and the religion did not hinge on the accuracy of the myths; only the existence of the gods. Homer decided when the gods will intervene and how the events will happen by using his creative genius and poetic talent. In the Iliad we have gods and heroes siding up for a historical war that took place. As Homer was writing after the fact... and as his readers were reading it... did they take it historically or philosophically? These stories were not claimed to be from the lips of the gods and perfect like the Bible or Koran.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on July 30, 2021, 12:28:46 AMIn the Iliad we have gods and heroes siding up for a historical war that took place. As Homer was writing after the fact... and as his readers were reading it... did they take it historically or philosophically?
Unknown.  I presume a mixture of both, as some religions allow their *cough* "simple" audiences to take a more direct and literal interpretation and more philosophy-inclined audiences to have a more metaphorical interpretation.

Sometimes I wonder if future historians will unearth some treasure trove of comics and assume that 20th century humans had revived worship of Thor after centuries of neglect.

Mike Cl

The way the bible is constructed is a clue for me.  Most think the bible simply dropped from heaven in it's present form.  They don't care to look deeper to understand there is no 'the bible' for there are hundreds of forms of what is called the bible.  The gospels as they stand now, was constructed from at least 85 gospels.  The same for the rest of the bible.  It was constructed by the 'early church fathers' from a vast amount of writings, with those materials not chosen destroyed by them.  They were mainly interested in developing and maintaining power, both political and financial.  They were master propagandists; one can 'prove' any point of view from those chosen writings.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cassia

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 30, 2021, 09:19:25 AM
The way the bible is constructed is a clue for me.  Most think the bible simply dropped from heaven in it's present form.  They don't care to look deeper to understand there is no 'the bible' for there are hundreds of forms of what is called the bible.  The gospels as they stand now, was constructed from at least 85 gospels.  The same for the rest of the bible.  It was constructed by the 'early church fathers' from a vast amount of writings, with those materials not chosen destroyed by them.  They were mainly interested in developing and maintaining power, both political and financial.  They were master propagandists; one can 'prove' any point of view from those chosen writings.   
I much prefer the angel Moroni and Smith's gold plates written in "reformed Egyptian" as the source of all that is important, LOL.

SGOS

Quote from: Cassia on July 30, 2021, 09:27:34 AM
I much prefer the angel Moroni and Smith's gold plates written in "reformed Egyptian" as the source of all that is important, LOL.
Me too. That makes so much more sense than the Bible. And there were actually gold plates to read it from, rather than just hersay, although Joseph Smith misplaced the plates, which could happen to anyone,  but he remembered everything that was on them, especially the part where he should have more wives.  But being the prophet that he was, he already knew that's what he wanted, so there wasn't really any need for the gold plates, anyway.

aitm

The poor gods….beset with having to deal with the pitiful what is their creation. “ I have known you in the womb”, I know when the first robin shall fall”, “ I know what day and hour thou shall cease………..what do you mean you lost my shit?”

Of all the peeps to choose from, they can’t hold a tablet, keep a secret, or remember where they put the chariot keys…..lol
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

The only respectable entity iz da KRAKEN!  I mean, just the way of calling her... RELEASE THE KRAKEN!
Ok, yes I know she gets released and all that, but still pretty able than the rest, no? And better looking.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mike Cl

Quote from: aitm on August 05, 2021, 12:22:43 PM
The poor gods….beset with having to deal with the pitiful what is their creation. “ I have known you in the womb”, I know when the first robin shall fall”, “ I know what day and hour thou shall cease………..what do you mean you lost my shit?”

Of all the peeps to choose from, they can’t hold a tablet, keep a secret, or remember where they put the chariot keys…..lol
I have always wondered how the perfect god can only create flawed creatures on Earth????? Does that not make god imperfect???? and if the perfect god is imperfect...........................how can these whitless wonders worship he/she/it?????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 05, 2021, 01:07:35 PM
I have always wondered how the perfect god can only create flawed creatures on Earth????? Does that not make god imperfect???? and if the perfect god is imperfect...........................how can these whitless wonders worship he/she/it?????
Don't forget, he created us in his own image.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on August 05, 2021, 01:44:23 PM
Don't forget, he created us in his own image.
That, he apparently did.  Except the first chpt. of Genesis tells us that man and woman were created in 'our' image and 'they' pronounced it good.  So, I guess god is actually a committee.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cassia on July 30, 2021, 09:27:34 AM

Actually, the claim was that the plates came from the Native Americans, who descended from the Jews, and to whom Jesus appeared before long ago in his second coming.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cassia

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 05, 2021, 06:07:55 PM
Actually, the claim was that the plates came from the Native Americans, who descended from the Jews, and to whom Jesus appeared before long ago in his second coming.
That's because the Native Americans were actually Egyptians, LOL
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reformed_Egyptian

SoldierofFortune

I have never seen my paternal grandmother. She is said to have lived before i was born.

There are speculations that she lived for some time on earth.

Because I have never seen her, how can I be so certain of her existence?

It is weird.

Hydra009

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on August 05, 2021, 07:12:09 PM
I have never seen my paternal grandmother. She is said to have lived before i was born.

There are speculations that she lived for some time on earth.

Because I have never seen her, how can I be so certain of her existence?
Hmm...did our ancestors exist?  Gee, that's a tough one.  *takes a big science book off the shelf to figure out how humans are made and get to the bottom of this mystery*