Yale Psychiatry Professor talks about "Unloading a Revolver" Into White People

Started by arch warmonger, June 06, 2021, 03:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: arch warmonger on June 06, 2021, 09:31:15 PM
Wouldn't financing people who violate the First Amendment be in its own way a violation of the First Amendment? How much do you care about the First Amendment?

Speaking of "free speech," how does this image make you feel?

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cassia

There is a trailer park other side of town full of old dumbass MAGA/Q/Trumpers living on FDR's Social Security and Medicare. Otherwise they barely have a nickel. How fucking clueless can  you get? They are the ones with confederate flags our front, bought them with their government check.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 06, 2021, 10:09:47 PM
Speaking of "free speech," how does this image make you feel?

The First Amendment is very short.  It reads:
Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

For more detail see:  https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/first_amendment

It seems to me that Kaepernick was using his First amendment rights to freedom of speech, the right of people to peaceably assemble and to petition the govt. for a redress of grievances.  The orange monster didn't like it, which is not surprising because he doesn't know nor care what the constitution says.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Shiranu

Quote from: arch warmonger on June 06, 2021, 09:31:15 PM
Wouldn't financing people who violate the First Amendment be in its own way a violation of the First Amendment? How much do you care about the First Amendment?

Strawman + Red Herring.

Yale did not violate anyone's First Amendment rights, ergo providing Yale with government money is not in any way funding violations of the First Amendment.

Clearly I care about it more than you do, since only one of us appears to have actually read it. It is in the very first line; "Congress shale make no law..". Congress, not private enterprise.

QuoteConstitutional scholar and Lincoln Memorial University law professor Stewart Harris confirmed employers can generally fire workers over posts they make on personal social media accounts.

“The First Amendment does protect our right to free speech,” said Harris. “But it only protects us against the government. If there’s a private employer involved and a private employee, there is no First Amendment protection. So the only question would become a matter of labor law, under which employers are generally allowed to fire people for just about any reason.”

https://www.wjhl.com/news/local/can-employers-fire-workers-for-offensive-social-media-posts/#:~:text=Constitutional%20scholar%20and%20Lincoln%20Memorial%20University%20law%20professor,%E2%80%9CBut%20it%20only%20protects%20us%20against%20the%20government.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 06, 2021, 10:40:16 PM

It seems to me that Kaepernick was using his First amendment rights to freedom of speech, the right of people to peaceably assemble and to petition the govt. for a redress of grievances.  The orange monster didn't like it, which is not surprising because he doesn't know nor care what the constitution says.

I think this is an important point; as much as I utterly disagree with the NFL's decision and believe it was a massively immoral and wrong one, I don't believe they violated the First Amendment. What they did was legally okay, even if by every other metric it was wrong.

However when Trump thought it should be banned, that was a violation of the First Amendment.

Interestingly, I believe one of the Supreme Court rulings actually says that states have the authority to restrict freedom of speech; it is only the federal government, not state, that is beholden to the 1st. I would be interested to see if they would rule that since it says Congress that that Executive branch also has the right to limit free speech... though I hope we never reach a point where that actually needs to go to the SC.

Here in Texas we have recently passed a law that makes it illegal for teams to not sing the "Star Spangled Banner" before games, and apparently it is constitutional.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

arch warmonger

The US government is financing Yale and every other university in America. That makes the US government partly to blame for any abridgments of freedom of speech and anything else they do, especially as a direct result of regulatory compliance and other factors. Yes, the 1st amendment regulates the government, and US government funding is a huge part of why the US university system is as big as it is.

Also, sports aren't federally funded. They're state/locally funded, although I would say they shouldn't be.

Shiranu

Quote from: arch warmonger on June 06, 2021, 11:10:18 PM
The US government is financing Yale and every other university in America. That makes the US government partly to blame for any abridgments of freedom of speech and anything else they do...

Which, again, did not happen so you are crying over imaginary spilt milk.

arch warmonger

What do you even mean by that? The government's financing every college in America, Yale gets like 12% of its yearly budget from government funding, how stupid would I have to be to fall for such weak obfuscation?

Shiranu

Quote from: arch warmonger on June 07, 2021, 12:35:40 AM
What do you even mean by that? The government's financing every college in America, Yale gets like 12% of its yearly budget from government funding, how stupid would I have to be to fall for such weak obfuscation?

Let's see if third times a charm.

1. The 1st Amendment prevents Congress from passing any laws that infringe on free speech.
2. This only applies to Congress; even States are granted the right to limit free speech because the Supreme Court has decided that the 1st amendment literally means only Congress.
3. Yale is a private institution; it's employees are not elected officials or government appointees but rather privately hired citizens who answer to shareholders instead of elected officials. Additionally Yale never made any attempt to pass any laws.

Now, given that 1 and 2 are correct both as cited from Constitutional scholar Stewart Harris above and by basic common sense, then 3 means that Yale logically cannot be violating the First Amendment; they are not Congress, they are not a subsidiary of Congress, they are not passing legislation.

Which part is it you are disagreeing with?

If step 1, I invite you to read the First Amendment.
If step 2, then I invite you to read the citation of Harris' or look into the National Labor Relations Act; it is the only real federal legislation regarding what companies can and cant prohibit you from saying and it only protects your right to discuss your working conditions.
If step 3, then either you need to look up what private vs public sector means or look into the fact that Yale is not, infact, a branch of Congress.

arch warmonger

So how is the government not violating the 1st amendment by financing colleges who violate the 1st amendment? If I hire an assassin to kill somebody I'm still culpable for murder even if I didn't pull the trigger.

I think you're attacking a point I didn't attempt to make, my focus pretty much since 10 posts back has been on government malfeasance in financing organizations that suppress speech.

QuoteWouldn't financing people who violate the First Amendment be in its own way a violation of the First Amendment? How much do you care about the First Amendment?

What's that one logical fallacy from that one list that 105 IQ nerds like to use to seem smart? Oh right, the "straw man fallacy".

Shiranu

QuoteSo how is the government not violating the 1st amendment by financing colleges who violate the 1st amendment?

*Sigh*

In what way did Yale violate Khilalani's First Amendment rights?

arch warmonger

Quote from: arch warmonger on June 07, 2021, 01:18:50 AM
I think you're attacking a point I didn't attempt to make, my focus pretty much since 10 posts back has been on government malfeasance in financing organizations that suppress speech.

QuoteWouldn't financing people who violate the First Amendment be in its own way a violation of the First Amendment? How much do you care about the First Amendment?

What's that one logical fallacy from that one list that 105 IQ nerds like to use to seem smart? Oh right, the "straw man fallacy".

Shiranu

Cite me an example where Yale violated Khilalani's First Amendment rights.

arch warmonger

Again, try to keep up, my main point the US government is breaking the 1st amendment by directly financing censorious institutions. But I stand by my assertion that Yale is only partly a "private" institution due to the amount of government funding it gets, which does and should create confusion.

Shiranu

Quote from: arch warmonger on June 07, 2021, 01:44:03 AM
Again, try to keep up, my main point the US government is breaking the 1st amendment by directly financing censorious institutions.

The First Amendment does not protect you from "censorious institutions"; it protects you from Congress passing legislation that prevents your right to free speech.

Give me a specific example where Yale violated the First Amendment.

I've been "caught up" with your position this entire time, it's you who doesn't understand the stipulations of the First Amendment, to which I have posted quotes from a Congressional Scholar explaining how it doesn't apply in this situation as well as Federal legislation that addresses what free speech a private entity is or isn't allow to censor you on.

QuoteBut I stand by my assertion that Yale is only partly a "private" institution due to the amount of government funding it gets.

I can assert that fire is cold, but that doesn't make it true. Yale is, by definition, a private institution; that is not my opinion, that's not my feelings, that is literally what it is... and even if it was a government institution, so long as it was not a Congress-funded organization that was attempting to pass legislation to limit free speech the First Amendment does not apply to it.

You are free to have your own opinions of what the First Amendment may or may not *really* mean, but at the end of the day the Supreme Court has never found your position to be accurate (both Progressive and Conservative S.C.s) nor do constitutional scholars.