News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Being a Youtuber

Started by SoldierofFortune, May 29, 2021, 11:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoldierofFortune

Ä° am now working as a lowest-rank officer at a government department and wondering what is the prospect to earn more than my current  salary, by being a youtuber.

Because of the dolar and Turkish lira exchange difference, i earn about 500 dolars a month. is there a chance for me to exceed that number?

Another thing is, by being a youtuber, Ä° will be able to be interested in and spend time with my hobby issues and topics.

What do you say?

Hydra009

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on May 29, 2021, 11:40:28 AM
Ä° am now working as a lowest-rank officer at a government department and wondering what is the prospect to earn more than my current  salary, by being a youtuber.
Do you have ___ ?
1) a time machine
2) a complete lack of scruples
3) a huge following already

If not, being a youtuber for monetary gain is so unlikely that you'd have better odds walking to the local airport parking lot and holding a bowl above your head and waiting for riches to fall from the sky.

Cassia

https://influencermarketinghub.com/youtube-money-calculator/
A million views a month will earn $22,627 - $37,712 a year if you are monetized.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on May 29, 2021, 11:59:32 AM
https://influencermarketinghub.com/youtube-money-calculator/
A million views a month will earn $22,627 - $37,712 a year if you are monetized.
When the issue of pay came up during the ongoing adpocalypse, several Youtubers I follow said online calculators like social blade tend to inflate their real earnings significantly (1.5x to 2x their actual earnings IIRC)

Youtubers famously have side hustles to make up for poor ad pay, demonetization (forgetting to say heck instead of hell), frequent DMCA/copywrite claims, etc.  It's really popular to have sponsors (raid shadow legends) and/or to sell merch.  I have no idea how much they pull down from that, but they sometimes say that the sponsorship covered the cost of producing the video, the costs of which vary considerably so I still have no idea lol.

Also, bear in mind that a lot of the bigger Youtubers operate in teams ranging from a modest two-man band to a team of animators.  So these meager profits are further divided.

Cassia

Yeah, you gotta have something really strong to make a decent living but like anything there are the 1% who have found the formula and are doing very very well. A few YT'rs just go to Disneyworld or other theme parks and blog like everyday, LOL. I noticed that they get special treatment from the parks so there are perks but that is about it for benefits.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on May 29, 2021, 12:49:28 PM
Yeah, you gotta have something really strong to make a decent living but like anything there are the 1% who have found the formula and are doing very very well. A few YT'rs just go to Disneyworld or other theme parks and blog like everyday, LOL. I noticed that they get special treatment from the parks so there are perks but that is about it for benefits.
That's true, though I wonder how much of this conspicuous consumption is just movie magic.  I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of unboxing videos become refunds the next day.

There was a hilarious episode of Boondocks where a rapper has Cribs come to his mansion, showing off gold statues and water slides and other signs of wealth.  The next day, all that stuff was packed up and carted away because it was only rented.  The rapper and his crew still live at a mansion, but it's not that extravagant.  Later on, money problems cause him to sell the mansion, quit rapping, and become a UPS driver.  He seemed genuinely happy about it, so good for him.  :D

And about special treatment: there are cases where video game reviewers get free copies of games or get free plane tickets to meet the developer and have an exclusive interview or get a sneak peak of the game.  The developers aren't *technically* bribing reviewers for positive coverage.  But ask yourself if Jake from Activision paid for you to go out to California to see their game, tell me that wouldn't color your review.  He seems like a nice guy who was so very nice to you and he really cares about the game.  You wouldn't let Jake down, would you?  So whadda say, 9 out of 10?

Eventually, these companies figured out it was easier to just DMCA bad reviews or scrub review bombs from Steam, so it's not as important to curry favor with reviewers to ensure good press when you can just make bad press disappear.

GSOgymrat

May your YouTube venture be less stressful than running a pet lizard's Instagram account.

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 01, 2021, 08:51:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D-Ax1ewZLc

I would love to send these sorts of videos 200 years in the past and gauge the reactions while eating popcorn.  Did they have popcorn back then?  Pop onions or turnips or whatever, then.

SGOS

I have to wonder how you found this Utube video.

GSOgymrat

I have no insight into online trends-- I'm probably the opposite of an influencer. For example, the idea that watching other people play video games is a multibillion-dollar industry strikes me as crazy. I'm also the guy who in the 70s said, "Who is going to pay the price of a soft drink for bottled water when you can get it from a water fountain, restaurant, or the tap for free?"

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on May 29, 2021, 06:36:41 PMI have to wonder how you found this Utube video.
It made the popular section on Imgur.  I thought it was funny and posted it here.

Sometimes I dredge the dark corners of the internet for some truly memorable material.  This was not that time.

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on May 29, 2021, 07:58:41 PMFor example, the idea that watching other people play video games is a multibillion-dollar industry strikes me as crazy.
I can't speak for other genres, but I LOVE watching pro-level strategy games.  Think of it like chess, but with explosions.  And this game has frequently shifting fortunes, so the outcome is rarely assured.  Occasionally, there's a gigantic upset - a 4v4 match turning into a 4v1 match and the survivor somehow swiftly launched a punishing assault against his overconfident rivals, crushing them one by one in quick succession.  That's one of the few times I emotionally react to a game.

QuoteI'm also the guy who in the 70s said, "Who is going to pay the price of a soft drink for bottled water when you can get it from a water fountain, restaurant, or the tap for free?"
I'm with you there.  I despise bottled water, especially after learning about arguable water theft from some vulnerable communities.

Though I previously and still do grab a Gatorade bottle, so I admit to being a bit of a hypocrite.  In my defense, I refill that with powder mix and tap water for a convenient reusable drink.

Still, I will never understand why people would prefer oodles of tiny plastic bottles over simply grabbing a gallon jug and using it to refill a travel mug.  Takes like 2 seconds longer and saves all sorts of money, not to mention plastic.

Shiranu

For anyone who wants to be a YouTuber, I recommend only one thing... give it a shot, see how it goes.

You're going to find out it is a lot more work and a lot more expensive to get started than you realized without any guarantee of having a very high rate of success.

And that's just getting started... once you reach a point you are expected to meet deadlines and deliver quality content consistently no matter how mentally drained you are, while engaging in your community and hearing hundreds of people tell you how shit you are, that you sold out, you were never good?

I'll pass.

Art as a job is something I'm not interested in, and running a professional YouTube channel is 100% a full-time job that, for me at least, would suck the fun out of whatever I was doing.

Amateur channel? Sure, 100% think that would be fun.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur