News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Bring Back the Firing Squads

Started by SGOS, May 07, 2021, 01:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on May 08, 2021, 08:57:24 PM
The idea that the state should have the authority to take someone's life away is a little too despotic for my taste... even throwing people in prison for anything more than intentionally violent crimes, when you look at it objectively, is an extremely immoral practice by most people's definition of the word.
If the crime was violent and they're still an active threat to the community, they pretty much have to be separated from the community for its safety.  Otherwise, I don't see why they can't be gradually eased back into society.  Prison -> work release -> transitional housing -> general populace

We don't need to reinvent the wheel, just take note of what works (Norway comes to mind) and do that.  It beats doing the same thing and getting the same result.

As an aside, I was watching a scifi show where defeated warriors are honor-bound to loyally serve whoever defeats them in battle.  This cultural norm is foreign to their adversaries, so naturally, the defeated warriors become POWs and are put in prison cells.  They consider this treatment barbaric, honorless, and incredibly insulting (akin to treating a human as an animal).  They contemplate escape despite the shame, reasoning that their captors left them little choice.

Gawdzilla Sama

Traditionally firing squads had one rifle loaded with a blank. This was a sop, "I had the blank so I didn't really kill anyone."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Yeah, I don't think the blank justification would be that satisfying.  The bigger question would be, "What were you doing on the firing squad to begin with?"

I knew a guy in Montana who volunteered to be on a firing squad in Utah.  They sent him a polite letter saying they did not accept volunteers from out of state.  I wondered after that how they pick the firing squad.  Do they accept "walk ins?"  Would they require a resume?  Do you have to pass an eye exam?

Mermaid

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 09, 2021, 08:03:54 AM
Traditionally firing squads had one rifle loaded with a blank. This was a sop, "I had the blank so I didn't really kill anyone."
Yup. Further evidence.

It disgusts me.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Quote from: SGOS on May 09, 2021, 09:58:42 AM
Yeah, I don't think the blank justification would be that satisfying.  The bigger question would be, "What were you doing on the firing squad to begin with?"

I knew a guy in Montana who volunteered to be on a firing squad in Utah.  They sent him a polite letter saying they did not accept volunteers from out of state.  I wondered after that how they pick the firing squad.  Do they accept "walk ins?"  Would they require a resume?  Do you have to pass an eye exam?
A person that volunteers to participate isn't mentally all there.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Gawdzilla Sama

I had no trouble pulling the switch when I was asked to act as a stand-in for the father of dead twin 2 year old girls.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mermaid

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 09, 2021, 03:50:28 PM
I had no trouble pulling the switch when I was asked to act as a stand-in for the father of dead twin 2 year old girls.
What? Really? How does that work? Do people actually get to do the execution?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mermaid on May 09, 2021, 04:01:56 PM
What? Really? How does that work? Do people actually get to do the execution?
At that time, yes. Haven't asked since then. Not much in Indiana for me these days.
PZ Myers

Mermaid

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 09, 2021, 06:15:41 PM
At that time, yes. Haven't asked since then. Not much in Indiana for me these days.
WHOA.

trdsf

Quote from: Feral Atheist on May 08, 2021, 05:51:35 PM
What is stopping the use of opioids for lethal drug executions?  It works, every community across the country has multiple overdose deaths every month.
Now that is the way to be 'stoned' to death.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: Feral Atheist on May 08, 2021, 05:51:35 PM
What is stopping the use of opioids for lethal drug executions?  It works, every community across the country has multiple overdose deaths every month.
Opioids are addictive.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on May 14, 2021, 09:45:26 PM
Opioids are addictive.
Some are for some people. At one point I was taking 270 mg. of oxycontin daily, for over a year. Then I stopped. No heebeejeebees. The only addiction I've had that was bad for me was tobacco. Stopped that cold turkey. Things were ugly for a while.
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 15, 2021, 09:01:29 AM
The only addiction I've had that was bad for me was tobacco. Stopped that cold turkey. Things were ugly for a while.
I've been there.

Gawdzilla Sama

The sizzle was the most annoying thing.
PZ Myers

Cassia

I had a valium when I was getting Lasik done to correct my eyesight. I felt like butter. Oh...is that my eyeball I smell burning? LOL. No problem. I love you.