News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Health Care in America

Started by SGOS, April 28, 2021, 08:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

To all the rest of you uppity outsiders, the US has the wealthiest healthcare insurers in the world.  So there!

GSOgymrat

Good video. I work in healthcare, so I know exactly how misaligned the incentives are, but I wonder if typical Americans really understand how bad it is. Do CFOs of companies understand how much money they would save they didn't have to pay for healthcare for their employees? For example, the annual cost for my health insurance is $2116 out of my pocket $6655 out of my employer's pocket. A single-payer plan would mean higher taxes but not $8771, plus everyone would be covered whether employed or not. Americans act like single-payer, universal healthcare is radical but most leading countries are doing it and getting better health outcomes!

Cassia

Really shows the contrast. Too bad right wing fanatics never ever see this stiff. If they did by some odd chance they would say it was fake.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on April 28, 2021, 10:00:38 AM
For example, the annual cost for my health insurance is $2116 out of my pocket $6655 out of my employer's pocket. A single-payer plan would mean higher taxes but not $8771.
Years ago, I read a report from a conservative outlet that did the same math and came to the same results, and then concluded that universal healthcare was too expensive, when the bottom line, their own bottom line, showed the opposite.

Such is the inertia of polarization.  My now dead cousin railed against health care with arguments that were not true, and where he got those arguments I don't know.  Sources of data were not important, and he had not one qualm about quoting an untruth, or making one up.  I don't know which was which.  His position felt unassailable.  He was right and facts were irrelevant. He was a fine opponent to healthcare.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: SGOS on April 28, 2021, 11:26:02 AM
He was a fine opponent to healthcare.

I don't get why any American would oppose improving healthcare. Who thinks paying more money for poor outcomes is acceptable? Medicare for All isn't the only option. There are several models we could emulate, such as the system in France.

https://youtu.be/MHzUCToycks