News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New place to nest

Started by OrangeDon, April 11, 2021, 11:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OrangeDon

Greetings.  I was referred to this site by another Yahoo! Answers user. 
I live in the Midwest.  I work in higher ed.  Have a MS in Education and an MA in Religious History.
I enjoy conversation about religious topics.  I don't much appreciate the religious, however.
Having an educated understanding of religion and its origins made religion itself that much easier to reject.
And to make sure there's no confusion...my avatar is a joke about Trump the Deficient.
That photo is his wax figure at DisneyWorld.  It started as Hillary then was remolded into Orange Don.
ORANGE refers to his usual fake-tan pallor.  And I understand he hates being called DON. 
I just don't want anyone thinking I'm a fan of the whore-buying White Supremacist. Prison is too good for him.
I'm a happily married 55yo white guy with two post-college age kids who are also critical thinkers (thank goodness).

Cassia

Welcome. Nice to have an expert in religious history around. I always wondered how anyone who studies that field could still believe a particular set of tales.

aitm

Welcome to our little place. Always good to have one familiar with the babble to keep us on the straight and narrow
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Greetings. What do you think of Bishop Usher's timeline? (You may want to start a thread on that.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Welcome!  This band of heathens can always use more.  Thanks for the intro.  Look forward to more threads from you.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Okay, the real test, Don!  Are you a baseball fan, and a Yankees fan in particular?  And do you absolutely love ice cream?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Welcome to our little band of heathens!
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 11, 2021, 05:58:02 PM
And did you bring tacos?

There were tacos, but I ate them all. Not sorry. Oh, also, welcome to the server, Don. lol
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

OrangeDon

"Welcome. Nice to have an expert in religious history around."
Thanks Cassia, but to clarify... shortly after the program and still fresh, I could've debated with the best of them.  But that was 30 years ago, and since then, I've not exercised a lot of the Religious History muscles save for conversation and such.  I've retained a good piece, but like anything else that gets used very little, it collects a lot of rust that needs to get knocked off.  :D  I'm sure some of you will stand to correct me from time to time...  I've read a lot of posts here so far, and I'm enjoying the depth of knowledge that many participants here are sharing. 

OrangeDon

"Are you a baseball fan, and a Yankees fan in particular?  And do you absolutely love ice cream?"

LOVE baseball.  Only sport I tend to watch, actually.
Yankees - I actually don't have a "team fave" but I enjoy watching the Yankees play.  They're a great ball club.
Ice Cream...  love it almost as much as I love pizza (unfortunately)...   :D

SGOS

Quote from: OrangeDon on April 11, 2021, 11:58:56 AM
Greetings.  I was referred to this site by another Yahoo! Answers user. 
I think you're and OK guy and everything, but you avatar makes me puke.

Mike Cl

Quote from: OrangeDon on April 22, 2021, 08:35:18 AM
"Are you a baseball fan, and a Yankees fan in particular?  And do you absolutely love ice cream?"

LOVE baseball.  Only sport I tend to watch, actually.
Yankees - I actually don't have a "team fave" but I enjoy watching the Yankees play.  They're a great ball club.
Ice Cream...  love it almost as much as I love pizza (unfortunately)...   :D
Wow!  Must be long lost brothers!  And I love pizza almost as much as ice cream!  I lived in Alabama from the 5th thru 8th grade and became a Yankees fan then.  But mostly because I was given the label of 'Yankee' because I was from Oregon.  So, I took it to heart and rooted for the Yankees and have rooted for them ever since.  But I live in CA now (and for a long time) and have followed the SF Giants for a long, long time.

Hydra009

Quote from: OrangeDon on April 22, 2021, 08:35:18 AMIce Cream...  love it almost as much as I love pizza (unfortunately)...   :D
What's your favorite flavor?