News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Boulder shooting, Colorado

Started by Mr.Obvious, March 23, 2021, 04:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 25, 2021, 02:55:39 PM
She knew he was dead, but she didn't want to see the mess. "I could remember him as he was the last time I saw him alive."

Thanks, lady.

That is what law enforcement and EMS are for. I'm sorry you suffered due of her incompetence and complete lack of empathy.

drunkenshoe

So, she perfectly knew what she was doing. Didn't they ask her to identify him officially in the end? Well, who knows how it worked then... Call the authority, run to the neighbours. Scream, cry... Who thinks about going and finding a child for this? Fucking piece fo shit.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 25, 2021, 03:22:24 PM
That is what law enforcement and EMS are for. I'm sorry you suffered due of her incompetence and complete lack of empathy.
She had no clue the police should be called. The upshot of that was a 13 yo calling the police and being asked to describe the scene. (They wanted to be sure it wasn't a prank call.) They got to listen to me power puking.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on March 26, 2021, 04:56:02 AM
So, she perfectly knew what she was doing. Didn't they ask her to identify him officially in the end? Well, who knows how it worked then... Call the authority, run to the neighbours. Scream, cry... Who thinks about going and finding a child for this? Fucking piece fo shit.
She was just a person who was faced with circumstances she wasn't equipped for. Until you're tested you don't know how you'll react.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 26, 2021, 07:57:01 AM
She was just a person who was faced with circumstances she wasn't equipped for. Until you're tested you don't know how you'll react.

Oh, I'm sure I'd be terrible. I'd scream and faint, try to run away, hide... have a panic attack. But I know I wouldn't go and look for a minor to ask him to go in there, if I can walk and talk.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on March 26, 2021, 12:14:44 PM
Oh, I'm sure I'd be terrible. I'd scream and faint, try to run away, hide... have a panic attack. But I know I wouldn't go and look for a minor to ask him to go in there, if I can walk and talk.
Thinking wasn't involved.
PZ Myers

aitm

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 25, 2021, 12:23:23 PM
I was thirteen when our neighbor blew his brains out with a shotgun. His wife came over and ask me to check on him. (I was the oldest male in easy reach I guess.) Still remember the splatter pattern on the wall.
Yeah. Some memories linger in the back of your mind quietly, unheard, until something like this brings it back. My best buddy and roommate had his feet crushed in a construction accident, unable to get his infection under control they removed both legs to the knee. He was pretty depressed for awhile but started to get more optimistic after about four months. Asked me to build him a small paint booth so he could work on his paint designs for car hoods. I did, two weeks later on the day where he was supposed to have married my sister he took my grandfathers shotgun into the booth. He was a nice guy like that.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 26, 2021, 01:03:52 PM
Thinking wasn't involved.

Could she have looked for an adult for help instead of you? From what you said it sounded like she could have, but looked for you deliberately. Asking for help in those kind of situations is something people do reflexively if they are able, without thinking. We run for help, scream, cry, get in shock, freeze, faint, shit ourselves...whatever. In that case, we don't choose who to go, or esp. look for someone least likely to help us, and ask them to enter somewhere to check a dead body because we don't want to remember the dead person that way. Esp. when we know what happened most likely. If somebody is acting that way, there is probably thinking involved.

Yes, I get that it was 60 years ago; a completely different world, time and place. But her thinking of looking for a male child seems like a very specific kind of concern to me. An adult going in there first, a neighbour likely, would talk about it afterwards many times, but a child is different. A child doesn't tell a story from first hand to everyone who would listen over and over again. I doubt if he would talk about it. Even if he did, it is again different. Adults are completely a different matter. They would repeat and elaborate, illustrate, add to the story. An adult doing the same thing has different consequences. Have you ever thought about it that way?

I'm sorry. I don't find her reaction as 'natural' as you do.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: aitm on March 26, 2021, 01:28:17 PM
Yeah. Some memories linger in the back of your mind quietly, unheard, until something like this brings it back. My best buddy and roommate had his feet crushed in a construction accident, unable to get his infection under control they removed both legs to the knee. He was pretty depressed for awhile but started to get more optimistic after about four months. Asked me to build him a small paint booth so he could work on his paint designs for car hoods. I did, two weeks later on the day where he was supposed to have married my sister he took my grandfathers shotgun into the booth. He was a nice guy like that.

Oh...that's very sad. It must have been very painful for his family and all of you.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on March 26, 2021, 02:15:25 PM
I'm sorry. I don't find her reaction as 'natural' as you do.
I was there.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Another one tonight, Virginia Beach, 3 dead and 9 in critical condition.

Like clockwork. A routine common enough it's just an afterthought.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

I used to keep my guns in gun safes. When my mother moved in with me I evaluated the situation.

1. Old lady with ALZ.
2. Me, not a perfect human being.
3. Possibility Mom would get hold of a gun eventually. (She was avid hunter and dead shot.)
4. Distance was needed.
5. I offered my collection to the Smitty. (All guns connected to the USN in some fashion with a bias toward guns that had known action in the Civil War, WWI and WWII, Korea and Vietnam.) They accepted them on a "trade forward basis", free to trade for items they were missing in their collection.

If every gun owner kept their guns safely there would be a dearth of "illegally obtained" guns.
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Shiranu on March 27, 2021, 05:04:34 AM
Another one tonight, Virginia Beach, 3 dead and 9 in critical condition.

Like clockwork. A routine common enough it's just an afterthought.
Shootings are simply part of the landscape of our society.  Hardly any notice--a one or two day interest.  Hardly any offers of even thoughts and prayers and no serious thoughts of gun control of any kind; just part and parcel of living in the USA.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mermaid

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 23, 2021, 05:54:41 PM
Yes. Additionally, nothing is going to change unless the culture changes. There are Americans whose sincere response to this shooting is for everyone to be armed. Many Americans feel it is perfectly acceptable to stand their ground and shoot people if they perceive themselves to be threatened. It's the first response to a perceived physical threat. I've asked people who own guns for protection if they considered non-lethal weapons and the answer is often no. I've asked if they have a home security system or motion sensor lights or security doors. Nope... but they have a gun. How many times when gun control measures in other countries are proposed in the US the response is "that won't work here."
All of this.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 27, 2021, 09:14:31 AM
Shootings are simply part of the landscape of our society.  Hardly any notice--a one or two day interest.  Hardly any offers of even thoughts and prayers and no serious thoughts of gun control of any kind; just part and parcel of living in the USA.

4 people, including a child, dead in shooting at Southern California office building; suspect injured

Four people, including a child, are dead after a suspect opened fire at an office building in Southern California, according to police.

Details were scarce late Wednesday regarding the incident in Orange, California, but Orange Police Department Lt. Jen Amat told reporters at the scene four people died and the suspect in the shooting was injured and taken to a local hospital and is in critical condition. Officers recovered one gun, she said.

One woman was injured and hospitalized in critical condition, Amat said. Both the woman and the suspect suffered gunshot wounds, Amat said. She added she didn't know if the suspect's wound "is self-inflicted or not."

There was no additional information about the suspect or the victims. Amat stressed there was no ongoing threat to the public and had no information about weapons found at the scene.