News & General Discussion > News Stories and Current Events

Boulder shooting, Colorado

<< < (3/7) > >>

GSOgymrat:
Many Americans only think of gun ownership in terms of rights and not public health. Organizations such as the NRA have promoted legislation to specifically prevent gun violence being studied as a public health issue. The NRA pushed through the Dickey amendment a provision inserted a rider into the 1996 United States federal government omnibus spending bill which mandated that "none of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) may be used to advocate or promote gun control." Enforcement of this has gone back and forth. Fortunately, in 2018 Congressional negotiators reached a deal for the fiscal year 2020 federal budget included $25 million for the CDC and NIH to research reducing gun-related deaths and injuries, the first such funding since 1996. In 2011 Florida passed a law restricting doctors from discussing firearms with patients, which has fortunately been found to be unconstitutional. There are other examples of how a segment of Americans are concerned with protecting the right to own firearms regardless of the consequences for public health.

On the topic of guns and public health, according to the CDC, 62% of gun deaths in the US are suicides. When it comes to suicide, having a gun in your home is essentially like having a suicide pill. It’s a pill that doesn’t require a prescription and you can buy as many as you like. People often leave their suicide pills on nightstands or unlocked cabinets where anyone, including children, could get them. In fact, suicide pills could be used to kill other members of the household—have a fight with your wife and slip it in her morning coffee. If you asked a sensible person if it is a good idea for people who suffer from depression with suicidal ideation, a history of suicide attempts, or impulse control issues to have suicide pills readily available they would probably agree this isn’t a good idea. Yet many people don’t think of guns this way.

Gawdzilla Sama:
I was thirteen when our neighbor blew his brains out with a shotgun. His wife came over and ask me to check on him. (I was the oldest male in easy reach I guess.) Still remember the splatter pattern on the wall.

GSOgymrat:

--- Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 25, 2021, 12:23:23 PM ---I was thirteen when our neighbor blew his brains out with a shotgun. His wife came over and ask me to check on him. (I was the oldest male in easy reach I guess.) Still remember the splatter pattern on the wall.

--- End quote ---

That's horrible for anyone but especially at your age.

drunkenshoe:
Yeah...it is horrible. I wondered if she was scared he'd shoot her, but she should have heard the sound I guess. Maybe she thought in any case, he wouldn't harm him or something like that.

Gawdzilla Sama:

--- Quote from: drunkenshoe on March 25, 2021, 01:43:47 PM ---Yeah...it is horrible. I wondered if she was scared he'd shoot her, but she should have heard the sound I guess. Maybe she thought in any case, he wouldn't harm him or something like that.

--- End quote ---
She knew he was dead, but she didn't want to see the mess. "I could remember him as he was the last time I saw him alive."

Thanks, lady.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version