News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Happy, happy, happy worldwide

Started by Mike Cl, March 20, 2021, 08:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassia

Quote from: SGOS on March 23, 2021, 09:41:29 AM
This pretty much sums it up for me, and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with age. I look back on life as a gradual but bumpy road toward more and more contentment. In that regard, now is a good as it gets.
It was pretty liberating when I ceased caring very much about the opinions of others (especially about me). That attitude came with age and maturity. And then people want to be around you more, LOL. I overhear someone talking about their church and I'll say "you still believe in that stupid shit?". Its the best.

GSOgymrat

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 23, 2021, 11:35:40 AM
Sick people generally are not happy people.

https://youtu.be/aNghg1Y-WIc
But, but, but we have Obamacare, so were good right?

Cassia

Obamacare is working pretty well for us. Debt-free, living from mostly fixed-income investments (and day-trades) but still too young for Medicare/Social Security ;) ...... We fall in that sweet spot to get decent coverage for a reasonable cost. Deductible is a little high but at least we won't get 'wiped out' like so many. Of course if I didn't sell my 6,000 shares of Gamestop stock for a whooping $250 gain last Fall, I'd be up a extra few million today, LOL.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Cassia on March 23, 2021, 01:29:10 PM
Obamacare is working pretty well for us. Debt-free, living from mostly fixed-income investments (and day-trades) but still too young for Medicare/Social Security ;) ...... We fall in that sweet spot to get decent coverage for a reasonable cost. Deductible is a little high but at least we won't get 'wiped out' like so many. Of course if I didn't sell my 6,000 shares of Gamestop stock for a whooping $250 gain last Fall, I'd be up a extra few million today, LOL.

My husband will start living on his investments next month. I will be working at least until I'm on Medicare. My employer-based insurance, which is good, costs $226 a month for both of us. Because of our medical history, it would be exorbitantly expensive to buy health insurance independently. Fortunately, I enjoy my job and have no desire to retire at this point.

A population that I have noticed is suffering right now is adolescent girls. I spoke to staff at a local psychiatric hospital that recently expanded their female adolescent unit because they have 60 adolescent girls compared to 10 adolescent boys.

drunkenshoe

Both articles from 2019.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/teen-suicides-increasing-at-alarming-pace-outstripping-all-other-age-groups/2019/10/16/e24194c6-f04a-11e9-8693-f487e46784aa_story.html

QuoteTeen suicides are increasing at an alarming pace, outstripping all other age groups, a new report says

For many years, suicide among youths was relatively rare and its frequency relatively stable. But from 2007 to 2017, the number of suicides among people ages 10 to 24 suddenly increased 56 percent â€" from 6.8 deaths per 100,000 people to 10.6, the new report shows.

Suicide has become the second-most common cause of death among teenagers and young adults, overtaking homicides and outpaced only by accidents.

The report released Thursday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also showed homicides among ages 10 to 24 increasing 23 percent from 2014 through 2017 after a long period of decline. This trend mirrors a similar uptick in homicides across other age groups, said CDC statistician Sally C. Curtin, who compiled the new report.

Firearms are one factor looming over both worrisome trends. The United States has more guns per capita than any other country. It also has by far a higher rate of gun deaths than any other wealthy country. And while violent homicides often grab headlines, more gun deaths every year are attributed to suicide.

The sharp increase in teen suicides has especially frustrated and puzzled researchers, who have struggled to explain its causes. Some have attributed it to changing social structures, lack of community and the rise of social media and smartphones. Others have pointed to bullying and less sleep.

Suicide attempts using poison have surged among young people, particularly girls

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/suicide-attempts-using-poison-have-surged-among-young-people/2019/04/30/a980c98c-6b8d-11e9-a66d-a82d3f3d96d5_story.html
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

"If you hang long enough you because accustomed to being hung."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers