News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

da History Quiz Thread

Started by Cassia, March 18, 2021, 10:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

Naturally, he has his hand on his sword.....😏
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cassia

I think it was sweet. The idea of "bundling" was to talk all night and get to know each other. And also the trust the parents had in their kids. If the best you could do was stare at the ceiling you might be "out". Better have a few sonnets ready, LOL.

Gawdzilla Sama

Actually, in bundling they sewed the young man into a bundle so he couldn't do ... anything. Allowed for "pillow talk" and not much else. One hopes he remember to hit the chamber pot before that.

The open door is another part of the gimmick. "No proper lady should ever be behind closed doors with her suitor."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 06, 2021, 08:39:13 AM
Actually, in bundling they sewed the young man into a bundle so he couldn't do ... anything. Allowed for "pillow talk" and not much else. One hopes he remember to hit the chamber pot before that.

The open door is another part of the gimmick. "No proper lady should ever be behind closed doors with her suitor."
The good old days.  How we all yearn for a return to normality.  <sigh>

Gawdzilla Sama

As I understand it the young lady secreted a needle and a bit of thread so as to close  up any holes that mysteriously form in the bundle during the night. I'm sure the place where the hole would form could be found easily in the dark.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cassia

Her bust is located in the Walhalla memorial along the Danube. Who, Why?

Mike Cl

Was she a member of The White Rose?  I don't remember her name.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Yes, Sophie Scholl.  Executed along with her brother and friend by the nazis for distributing antiwar leaflets.

Cassia

Brave gal. Sometimes I wonder what I would have under the same circumstances.

Mike Cl

She was not as heroic as it seems.  After all, she is antifa!!  It was right to execute her--just a rabble rouser.

Hydra009

Her last leaflet was smuggled out of Germany and dropped by allied planes.  Aside from making the students widely known in Germany, it didn't have much of an effect on the actual war.

Hydra009

Here's a question for you history buffs, which hat(s) did historical cowboys actually wear?

aitm

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 02, 2021, 03:38:49 PM
Here's a question for you history buffs, which hat(s) did historical cowboys actually wear?
Don’t know the name of it, but I think it’s the type that is associated with Bat Masterson. Kind of a derby thing?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cassia

Quote from: aitm on May 02, 2021, 04:07:52 PM
Don’t know the name of it, but I think it’s the type that is associated with Bat Masterson. Kind of a derby thing?
Another case where Hollywood movies define our collective idea of history.