News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

da History Quiz Thread

Started by Cassia, March 18, 2021, 10:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I remember Tom Poston, but haven't thought about him for years.  I can't imagine Sick doing a story on him.  Was it satire?  I didn't follow Sick or Cracked.  If one was laying around, I would read it of course, but I was loyal to Mad.  It was a almost a devotion.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on March 19, 2021, 11:29:14 PM
I remember Tom Poston, but haven't thought about him for years.  I can't imagine Sick doing a story on him.  Was it satire?  I didn't follow Sick or Cracked.  If one was laying around, I would read it of course, but I was loyal to Mad.  It was a almost a devotion.
I have that issue around here somewhere--have to dig it out.  Yeah, it is a satire publication, but a bit darker than MAD, I think.  It was not a story about Poston, but I don't remember what it was about.  MAD was cartoons.  Sick was with pictures of actual people.  I agree, MAD was/is the gold standard.  Sick and Cracked were clearly trailing behind--but funny in their own ways.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cassia

Somebody is apologizing. Why? (love the hats)

SGOS

Orson Wells, for scaring the shit out of everyone.

Mike Cl

Orson Welles, had a radio show in the late 30's.  The War Of The World was broadcast and many thought it was for real.  The Martians were here!!  He is talking about the show and its effects it had.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

And I grew up with those hats.  I never had one, because they were for adults.  When I got to be that age, the hats were out, and long hair was in.

Cassia

Quote from: SGOS on March 20, 2021, 09:00:28 AM
And I grew up with those hats.  I never had one, because they were for adults.  When I got to be that age, the hats were out, and long hair was in.
When you look back at historical film and photos of people out-and-about I am often struck by how "well dressed" they are. The shift towards casual attire seems to have started in the 1960s. I guess we can view dressing up as just a superficial act, however when I do dress-up, perhaps I behave with just a bit more care, maybe subconsciously. I am sometimes accused for "overdressing", LOL. If you dress like a slob, do you act the part, I wonder?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cassia on March 20, 2021, 10:39:01 AM
When you look back at historical film and photos of people out-and-about I am often struck by how "well dressed" they are. The shift towards casual attire seems to have started in the 1960s. I guess we can view dressing up as just a superficial act, however when I do dress-up, perhaps I behave with just a bit more care, maybe subconsciously. I am sometimes accused for "overdressing", LOL. If you dress like a slob, do you act the part, I wonder?
I wonder that, too.  It has been shown in studies, that if one is in a bad mood and do forced smiles, that after awhile your mood will improve to the point where you want to smile.  Is dressing up sort of like that?  If you dress well, do you feel better about yourself?  Off the top of my head, my guess would be that it does.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 20, 2021, 08:55:10 AM
Orson Welles, had a radio show in the late 30's.  The War Of The World was broadcast and many thought it was for real.  The Martians were here!!  He is talking about the show and its effects it had.
Every commercial break included a statement that this was a dramatization of H.G. Wells' "War of the Worlds." The UFO nuts didn't care about that awkward taint of reality.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 20, 2021, 11:57:14 AM
I wonder that, too.  It has been shown in studies, that if one is in a bad mood and do forced smiles, that after awhile your mood will improve to the point where you want to smile.  Is dressing up sort of like that?  If you dress well, do you feel better about yourself?  Off the top of my head, my guess would be that it does.
If you look at photographs from the era you see men dressed in suits doing jobs that would call for t-shirts and blue jeans today. Getting caught "just in his vest" meant he took his jacket off to do something. So glad I missed that era.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

My father was a mason. He did everything associated with that trade. Almost always dirty when he came home. Obviously, he did not dress up for work but he told me that in the past masons and the laborers would wear a jacket ties, and slacks to work as if to church. Removed the jacket during work, dusted themselves off and put the jacket on to return home.

But aside from that story, Dad was usually a jovial person, at the worst in fair spirits, don’t remember him ever being angry or bitter or just down. But on the occasional weekend where he and mom were dressing important, it felt like he was getting dressed to get an award. Whistling, singing, joking, everything about just putting on nice clothes was like a soul lifting experience. Although we rarely went to church, when he did, the same reaction, just putting on nice clothes seemed like it was an escape from the worn, stained, faded clothes that made his persona him, into a completely new person. He was no longer just a mason, he got to be himself.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: Cassia on March 20, 2021, 10:39:01 AM
When you look back at historical film and photos of people out-and-about I am often struck by how "well dressed" they are.
My grandfather died in the late 60s at the age of 90.  He owned a two flat apartment, lived upstairs and rented the downstairs to my family, so I saw a lot of him.  I cannot remember him not wearing a suit and tie.  If he was working in the basement with his tools, he may have taken his jacket off, although I can't remember seeing him like that.  Just sitting in the house smoking his cigar, he would have a suit and tie on, even after he retired.

My father always wore a suit and tie to work.  He was a commercial artist, but I suppose he took off his jacket at work, and he dressed casual on weekends (the transition generation), but my grandfather never did that.  My father owned two or three of those hats too.  They were made by the Stetson company, who is now known only for cowboy hats.  My grandfather had similar hats, but they were woven straw or straw like material.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on March 20, 2021, 10:39:01 AMWhen you look back at historical film and photos of people out-and-about I am often struck by how "well dressed" they are. The shift towards casual attire seems to have started in the 1960s. I guess we can view dressing up as just a superficial act, however when I do dress-up, perhaps I behave with just a bit more care, maybe subconsciously. I am sometimes accused for "overdressing", LOL. If you dress like a slob, do you act the part, I wonder?
I doubt they affect how people act as much as how people are perceived to be acting.  You can take a homeless person, clean them up, and put them in a nice suit and you'd be surprised how differently they're treated.

Personally, I dislike formal attire and actively avoid ties.  Not comfortable, constrict at odd places, and impair mobility.  And practically a death sentence in the increasingly hot Southern USA.  I'm glad we went more casual, though I draw the line at Juicy pants, crocs, and whatever the Idiocracy people wear.

Cassia

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 20, 2021, 04:06:43 PM
I doubt they affect how people act as much as how people are perceived to be acting.  You can take a homeless person, clean them up, and put them in a nice suit and you'd be surprised how differently they're treated....
That's an interesting point. I bet both the homeless persons ~and~ the people they encounter will behave differently based on the upgraded attire. I think uniforms of all kinds, for example carry high expectations for behavior.

Sometimes I will give up comfort for impact (even on a hot day) but yeah at the rate the planet is heating up...we may very well see clothing get even more casual as the norm.

Cassia