News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Atheists with mental issues

Started by Paolo, February 18, 2021, 03:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paolo

I at least ''consider'' myself an atheist (despite the accusations on that thread), but I suffer from a lot of mental disorders. I have been unemployed since I reached ''legal age''. I realize that there's not much a random message board can do to help me, but I wanted to ask nevertheless: if I don't have faith in ''God'' to help me, how I will overcome these problems and diseases? I've tried everything, and religion seems to be the last resort, but I have serious doubts/conflicts about it.

So, this thread's question is this: if atheists don't have God, what is their last measure for dealing with seemingly incurable illness?

I don't know if I should post that here, but it seemed the most approppriate place. Mods can move it over. Or delete the thread if it doesn't fit anywhere on the forum.
Oh noes...I think I’m dead....

Mr.Obvious

Let me first ask, how does faith in god help in the first place?

One of my former clients, as a social worker, has severe mental retardation. His Christian mom is fighting the care set up for him, making him worse off. All because she believes god will one day miraculously cure him.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

drunkenshoe

Paolo? You've somehow started to doubt and question all this... god, religion...etc; it has arrived to a tipping point, and now, while you cannot go back, you also feel depressed and intimidated about the position you are in? Atheism looks, sounds lonely, cold, depresif and dark, most importantly unclear? Is that what you are going through?

Is that the reason why you are using the word atheism in a very alienated manner? Use the word unbeliever instead of atheist; unbelief instead of atheism. Forget the a word. It doesn't mean anything in an individual level.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Paolo

Quote from: drunkenshoe on February 18, 2021, 05:24:01 AM
Paolo? You've somehow started to doubt and question all this... god, religion...etc; it has arrived to a tipping point, and now, while you cannot go back, you also feel depressed and intimidated about the position you are in? Atheism looks, sounds lonely, cold, depresif and dark, most importantly unclear? Is that what you are going through?

Yes, exactly.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Paolo on February 18, 2021, 06:13:06 AM
Yes, exactly.

Ah...Paolo, this is not some sort of a test. You should give yourself a rest. You don't need to do anything. Just relax. This is not a religion. You are not expected to do anything. It's going to take some time. Don't force yourself into anything. Let it go.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

aitm

Ah...but the bigger question is which god do you think will help you? Of all the gods they all seem to offer the exact same chances of giving you what you want. Odd that eh? I mean....what are the chances that all the gods offer the same success rate? And what exactly is that success rate? Doesn’t take a lot to realize the chances of the answer being no before you even ask is extremely more likely than yes. Lots of people claim god answered their prayer, but an awful lot won’t admit that ole god was retry silent.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cassia

The fact that you are even studying alternatives (other than faith) suggests that you are smarter and more rational than most. Give yourself some credit. Understanding the realities of life may not give me false comfort of an eternity but I am free to understand the true value of every day I AM alive and to make the most of it. The beauty becomes so real, every moment is something that can be cherished and not diminished by empty promises of infinite life. A bird singing from a branch, the sounds of Mozart, the understanding of Newton's Calculus...that is my heaven. Human compassion is real too. I wish you wellness, Paolo !

The brave dying Hitchens really hit the point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDTObha5lUE

SGOS

There is no way to verify that a god is responsible for the good in your life or getting rid of the bad in your life.  I believe that some data shows that a belief that this is true sometimes facilitates a feeling of well being and may even help.  But this is not saying that there is a being that actually does this.

I wish you a productive journey, no matter what you decide.  For myself, I'm not confused about any of it.  I don't worry about my soul, or what's going to happen when I die.  Instead of sin and damnation, I follow a system of ethics that I believe is far more powerful and useful than a set of commandments for hypocrites to worship while they violate them.

Blackleaf

As someone with untreated major depressive disorder that began in my teens (Jesus Christ, I'm 31 now, and I still haven't found help), I was no better off with religion. I believed that if I leaned more heavily on God, he would heal me. Well, I leaned, but I just ended up tipping and falling over, because religion can offer nothing but empty promises. Rely on things that actually do help, like medical professionals. And yes, I should be following my own advice, I know. One thing that sucks about depression is that it makes it harder to seek the help you need. I tried once and got put on a three month waiting line. This was during Covid, so they were likely busier than normal, but Jesus Christ. I finally get the motivation to call, and they don't call me back for months?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Paolo

Thanks for the answers. I think most have been helpful to me. I may have additional comments at a later point.

SoldierofFortune

Like a father figure superior than you in your childhood that you can trust because he will provide protection for you, this is no difference from a god figure. because god is all-powerful etc.

there is no relation between believing a god and being without mental disorders, other than god can make you feel safe.

Believing a god or not is an intellectual issue, it has not to do with feeling safe from the cathastrophic world outside home.

There and back

I was a Christian for a long time (30+ years), and there were times when my belief in this system helped me with major depressive illness. But overall, it did not help at all, and more often than not made it worse. Leaving theism was one heck of a mental battle and I ended up in hospital after a failed attempt at bailing out. But now that the dust has settled, I feel freer and am happier than I have ever been, though I still have my moments. Why? Because I am now certain that none of the people I have loved are in hell. I am also free to encounter people as people regardless of their beliefs, sexuality, hangups, theology, and so on. A wanker is a wanker and a decent person is a decent person regardless of their baggage. I am reasonably convinced that once we die that that is it - I am 100%  happy to become dust. I didn't exist until 56 years ago, and it didn't bother me a bit, I have no evidence that my death will be any different.

PickelledEggs

Sounds like op is definitely not an atheist... or at least someone with an underlying urge to believe in the supernatural, to explain and resolve their issues.

Re your question "if atheists don't have God, what is their last measure for dealing with seemingly incurable illness?"
Last measure?
Doctors. Even if there is not a cure, there usually is remedies for pain and symptoms.

Even when there is none of that either, the only thing we can do is come to terms with what reality is. Sometimes the comfort is in recognizing reality.

Gawdzilla Sama

NB I'm 70 and life-long atheist. I've been in constant pain for 18 months now. My wife holds the morphine bottle so I don't lose track of how much I've taken. When it wears off I'm very careful not to move. But, of course I have to move sometimes. The doctors have other things to do so I don't see a resolution to this other than death. I am, however, not scared or worried about "what comes next". I don't believe anything comes next.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

He is wating for something extraordinary to happen [to him] in this process. :lol: