Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Like system

Started by Mike Cl, February 14, 2021, 12:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 15, 2021, 05:11:30 AM
Discord is too lively for me as well.
Yeah, I like to have a chance to think before I respond.

aitm

Years ago....sheesh, like 20, if you can believe that, About.com had a site that had chat forums. The atheist board was pretty lively, I enjoyed that much more than forums as it was my nightly relaxation. I thought forums were too slow reacting to the fun I was having
There was a Christian one as well and from time to time about 5-7 of us would crash their site and we actually had light-hearted banter with the, and once in awhile they would do the same. It was all feigned outrage and joked about plundering their fridge or stealing the ladies undergarments. I really enjoyed that until the site decided to go all forums. Can’t remember the host name, but at that time he was one of the more vocal net atheist. We started to get heated over some new childish rules he installed and his mod, gal eventually got cancer and became a raging bitch, eventually sliding to the dark side. Oh well....those were the days.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

@ aitm
Yeah, some people are chatters and others not so much.  Chat rooms often have a more party like atmosphere, well not all the time, but moreso than a forum.  But even at regular parties, I tend to feel alone and disconnected.  Again, not all the time, but I'm more likely to feel that at a party than other group settings.

Austin Cline is the guy I think you might be trying to remember, and I remember that forum.  I think it went belly up or something.  I've looked for it a couple of times recently, but about.com seems more like it's an information outlet than a discussion center now.

drunkenshoe

I honestly don't get what's the big deal? A chat platform is somewhere you can get in and out whenever you want it. Is it because it is 'live'? So what? If you don't like it, you go out. If somebody doesn't respect simple boundaries, tell them to fuck off. 

I mean there are people here who lived through eras when people didn't have any other mass media than TV and couldn't even dial back to see who called them, and was completely OK with pressing a button on something called an 'answering machine' without knowing/seeing who called and said what.

Why do you conform social media and its trends? Who cares about what people think about what you write. Because that's been the trend recently. Chat or anything like it... is 'bad' because it is random and out of control. Because you don't see what is coming in advance... Because you don't know who is going to say what when. Guys...it is crazy. :lol: It's not real to begin with.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

It's not a big deal at all.  It's not like I feel like I want to go there or need to go there to better myself.  I don't feel any sense of an approach/avoidance conflict. If I decide to go there, I'll go there, and it will be fine.  Now I know the resource is there, and I can use it if I want.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on February 15, 2021, 12:10:40 PM
...It's not like I feel like I want to go there or need to go there to better myself.  ...

Yeah, it is not. But you are acting as if it is going to harm you by deault. Actually, I want to know what you are defending? What is going to happen to you when you chat there? Just cruious.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

aitm

Quote from: SGOS on February 15, 2021, 07:28:01 AM
@ aitm
Yeah, some people are chatters and others not so much.  Chat rooms often have a more party like atmosphere, well not all the time, but moreso than a forum.  But even at regular parties, I tend to feel alone and disconnected.  Again, not all the time, but I'm more likely to feel that at a party than other group settings.

Austin Cline is the guy I think you might be trying to remember, and I remember that forum.  I think it went belly up or something.  I've looked for it a couple of times recently, but about.com seems more like it's an information outlet than a discussion center now.
Ah yes. Austin. We got into several heated arguments. He was good enough about our disagreement to not ban me but I think he told his mod “Dessa” to make it happen. Meh. It was fun.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Not...enough...button...pressing...need...good...chemicals....*collapses*

drunkenshoe

Something is wrong. This is not normal.

Mike Cl

Quote from: drunkenshoe on February 16, 2021, 01:40:16 AM
Something is wrong. This is not normal.
In this society, 'something is wrong' is quite normal.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

Maybe he is just working on something with a close deadline, and turned off everything.

PickelledEggs

Let me check it out a little later. Just woke up.
Sorry I didn't see this sooner, was in the process of moving.

PickelledEggs

I'll have to talk to @wolf39us about it. I see it installed, and it doesn't look like it has an update, but I have to make sure that there is not a separate "notification" mod that needs to be installed/reinstalled.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Mike Cl

Pickles, I'd give you a 'like' if I could. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

PickelledEggs

I still can't figure it out. I uninstalled and reinstalled the mod. I want to try everything I can, outside of  borking the entire forum and deleting all associated files to the mod. I have an option to delete all the files associated with the "likes" mod, but I am not certain it will actually fix the problem, and it will most likely also lose the likes, which some of us have racked up a lot of. I imagine you guys hold those near and dear, so I will avoid nuking them, if I can.

Maybe @wolf39us or @Naru can help me with this...