News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Conspiracy theories

Started by Mike Cl, February 05, 2021, 03:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 07, 2021, 08:48:05 AM
And I'm hopeful we will benefit from this discourse. And from the billion+ dollar la suit against Fux News et al.
I read an article yesterday that said the business community is doing more to control the spread of conspiracy theory than the media.  I think it was phrased as "doing for truth what the media could not."  But a lot of the Trumpsters will see it as voting machine companies just bringing fraudulent law suits to cover up their fraudulent business practices by paying off fraudulent judges.  But it could start a small drift toward reason, and may have a slight chilling effect on politicians that spread false information.

SGOS

https://mail.yahoo.com/b/folders/1/messages/ANPGK9BQ65plYB_SJQkrqEWRLUE?.src=ym&reason=unsupported_browser&folderType=INBOX&showImages=true&offset=0

QuoteThe use of defamation suits has also raised questions about how to police a news media that counts on First Amendment protections. But one liberal lawyer said, “It’s gotten to the point where the problem is so bad right now there’s virtually no other way to do it.”

Mike Cl

Quote from: viocjit on February 07, 2021, 07:02:27 AM
Who is a former conspiracy theorist there ? I'm a former believer in these things.
That is interesting.  I like to think that I have not developed or believed in any conspiracy theory.  But I've always been skeptical of most things, until I've had a chance to figure something out for myself.  But I have a close friend who believes JFK was killed because LBJ wanted him dead.  We have talked about this at some length (I have tried not to attack him but tried to figure out what he thinks is proof) and he still persists that LBJ had it done. 

So, you believed in a conspiracy(s) theory.  What caused you to not believe it anymore?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cassia

Got a good laugh when I logged onto FB. It has been weeks. An acquaintance of mine who has never read a book in her adult life is now quoting Ayn Rand, LOL. She is screaming for to us to "wake up" to her new found truths. Apparently without the benefit of any post high school education, international travel or personal involvement in economics beyond shopping, she has become the go-to Yoda on macro economics and political science.

SGOS

Ayn Rand? Well, I guess you've got to start being gullible some place, so why not start with Ayn Rand?  You can move on to the Moonies from there, and then to Alex Jones.  Sounds like a whole new world has opened up for your Facebook friend.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on February 07, 2021, 10:18:03 AMShe is screaming for to us to "wake up" to her new found truths.
Imho, that's the mating call of "too far gone" people.  It's basically all over at that point.

QuoteApparently without the benefit of any post high school education, international travel or personal involvement in economics beyond shopping, she has become the go-to Yoda on macro economics and political science.
LOL.  While I do think lay opinions on that kind of thing are perfectly valid and important in a democracy, also it's very important to be able to cite authorities on the subject rather than just pretending to know-it-all.

I advocate for transitioning to green energy all the time, but I gotta tell you guys, if you handed me the power to do so, I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to begin and would probably melt from the pressure.  One wrong move and we're talking about serious human consequences.  But I can at least point to countries that have had success in this area and experts who do know what they're doing and could take us further down that path if given the chance.  So it's a fairly grounded idea, not a pie-in-the-sky wish.  Without these sorts of sanity checks, politics would be madness incarnate.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Cassia on February 07, 2021, 10:18:03 AM
Got a good laugh when I logged onto FB. It has been weeks. An acquaintance of mine who has never read a book in her adult life is now quoting Ayn Rand, LOL. She is screaming for to us to "wake up" to her new found truths. Apparently without the benefit of any post high school education, international travel or personal involvement in economics beyond shopping, she has become the go-to Yoda on macro economics and political science.

People read Atlas Shrugged and always believe they are the John Galts of the world and not the parasites. Looking forward to that stimulus check, Deborah?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 07, 2021, 03:53:44 PM
Imho, that's the mating call of "too far gone" people. It's basically all over at that point. ...

:rotflmao:  The series of scenes popping in front of my eyes... oh my...
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on February 07, 2021, 09:11:35 AM
I read an article yesterday that said the business community is doing more to control the spread of conspiracy theory than the media.  I think it was phrased as "doing for truth what the media could not."  But a lot of the Trumpsters will see it as voting machine companies just bringing fraudulent law suits to cover up their fraudulent business practices by paying off fraudulent judges.  But it could start a small drift toward reason, and may have a slight chilling effect on politicians that spread false information.
Deplatforming is important. If Facebook says "We're not going to allow that" the conspiracy freaks have one less audience. The Loud Boys will whinge about "my right to Freedom of Speech" without ever looking at what that amendment says.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

I lost a post due to momentary black out....Ooof

E: Power was off for e few min,lol.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Boss Lady sometimes says "Ctrl-Alt-Del" when I say something incomprehensible.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cassia

The next big date for QAnon followers is March 4 when they claim Trump will be inaugurated as the 14th president.... because the U.S. was "incorporated" in 1871 and all amendments passed after that are invalid.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on February 15, 2021, 04:50:24 PM
The next big date for QAnon followers is March 4 when they claim Trump will be inaugurated as the 14th president.... because the U.S. was "incorporated" in 1871 and all amendments passed after that are invalid.
Surprised that they implicitly include the 13th amendment.

Mike Cl

A fun date to mark on our calendars.  Maybe they can get Mike Pence this time.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

The Millerites:

The Millerites were members of a ​religious sect who became famous in 19th century America for fervently believing the world was about to end. The name came from William Miller, an Adventist preacher from New York State who gained an enormous following for asserting, in fiery sermons, that Christ’s return was imminent.

At hundreds of tent meetings around America throughout the summers of the early 1840s, Miller and others convinced as many as one million Americans that Christ would be resurrected between the spring of 1843 and the spring of 1844. People came up with precise dates and prepared to meet their end.

As the various dates passed and the end of the world did not occur, the movement began to be ridiculed in the press. In fact, the name Millerite was originally bestowed upon the sect by detractors before coming into common usage in newspaper reports.

The date of October 22, 1844, was eventually chosen as the day when Christ would return and the faithful would ascend to heaven. There were reports of Millerites selling or giving away their worldly possessions, and even donning white robes to ascend to heaven.

The world did not end, of course. And while some followers of Miller gave up on him, he went on to play a role in the founding of the Seventh Day Adventist Church.

Just like the Millerites, the Q people will not go away--break apart and form new organizations.  Apparently stupid can't be killed.