News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Harry R Truman Was Vaporized

Started by Cassia, January 30, 2021, 04:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

300 miles??  Were you living in Washington then?  Where?  My grandparents farm was about 120 miles from Mt. St. Helens, in Oregon near a small town of St. Helens, Oregon.  They both heard the explosion and saw the ash clouds rising up.  The got so much ash that my grandfather had to climb the roof and shovel off the ash before it caused the roof to cave in.  The ash was very, very heavy.  On my next visit (I lived in CA at the time) they gave me a small round margarine tub of the ash--it must have weighed a couple of pounds--very heavy.  Even at that distance they were cautioned to wear a mask when going outside.  Inhaling that ash was a deadly thing to do.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

Oh wow. I'm loving this. More importantly, when did that happen?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mike Cl

Quote from: drunkenshoe on February 01, 2021, 09:49:02 AM
Oh wow. I'm loving this. More importantly, when did that happen?
In 1980.  My grandparents lived on a 10 acre farm about 20 miles north of Portland, Or.  Scappoose was the name of the tiny town they lived near--3 miles away.  St. Helens, Oregon was about 10 miles further north.  It's claim to fame was a wood pulp factory.  If the wind was blowing the right (well, wrong) way, the smell of newly created shit was heavy in the air until the wind shifted.  The factory was about 20 miles away as the crow flies.  Yeah, that's what wood pulp smells like when in production.  The only smell as foul as that was made my a sugar factory near Stockton, CA.  Anyway, this was a major happening for my grandparents.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 01, 2021, 09:39:55 AM
300 miles??  Were you living in Washington then?  Where?  My grandparents farm was about 120 miles from Mt. St. Helens, in Oregon near a small town of St. Helens, Oregon.  They both heard the explosion and saw the ash clouds rising up.  The got so much ash that my grandfather had to climb the roof and shovel off the ash before it caused the roof to cave in.  The ash was very, very heavy.  On my next visit (I lived in CA at the time) they gave me a small round margarine tub of the ash--it must have weighed a couple of pounds--very heavy.  Even at that distance they were cautioned to wear a mask when going outside.  Inhaling that ash was a deadly thing to do.
I was in Montana, just east of the Idaho border.  I actually checked the distance before my first post on my old "Roads And Trips" program that gives me the option to measure distance in a straight line.  It is 300 miles.  I remember on the news it was reported that the explosion was heard as far away as some Central Washington town, maybe Yakama (can't remember now), which would be like 60 miles away from St Helens.  I felt like I wanted to call the News channel, and tell them I heard it and I was more than 4 times farther away.  What a gyp.  But of course I didn't bother. 

I thought it was a mine about 20 miles from my house using dynamite, and I remember thinking they were probably dynamiting on a Sunday when the workers were gone.  The blast was a long thunder like rumble that lasted maybe 30 seconds.  Of course it was fairly well corrupted by the time the sound got to me.

Our ash, as you might guess was nowhere near as heavy as yours.  A margarine tub would have weighed ounces. and our accumulated depth was more like a heavy dusting, but it was everywhere. It may have been a quarter of an inch in some places.

Mike Cl

It is about 100 miles by road.  I'd guess it is more like 60 miles as the crow flies.  The dust that fell on my grandparents farm was very heavy and it began falling only an hr or two after the eruption.  I was very surprised at how heavy it was.  So was my grandpa.  He realized how heavy the stuff was and also realized 6/7 inches on the roof would not be good.  So, he shoveled it off.  Several outbuildings were okay, but they had much smaller roofs.

Unbeliever

I wonder how many people thought it was the former president who died in that explosion? Would he have even been mentioned if his name hadn't been so close to that of "the" Truman?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

He was a pretty colorful character, with or without the name, standing his ground and cursing nature and the elements without giving an inch.  Had he saved himself when the first ranger came by and told him to leave, then you NEVER would have heard of him.

Yeah, I thought the thread was about a president.

Gawdzilla Sama

I've lived or near five active volcanoes. Anyways entertaining.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

This story reminds me of alexander supertramp.

I fought nature and nature won.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Unbeliever

There was a great movie called Never Give an Inch, with 2 (count 'em) Fondas. Loved it!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

gawdzilla sama Jr.

I've see a few men killed in combat, "quick" didn't impress me much.