Reddit Shoots GameStop Stock up 2,752%

Started by Blackleaf, January 29, 2021, 11:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Cassia on January 30, 2021, 09:16:58 AM
...The only reasonable alternative to this (as I see it) is a slow democratic revolution towards a socialized democracy where all people can benefit more equally from the economy. The 'Nordic' model appears to work well.[/color]

This sounds good to me.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on January 30, 2021, 03:37:55 AM
If that doesn't raise some red flags, I don't know what will.
Broken clock?  I mean, this issue got AOC and Ted Cruz to agree.  Maybe there's a small amount of common ground between two very divergengent political ideologies.  At least, before we go back to wealth mistakenly equated with success/acumen, like I saw a lot of in 2016.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 30, 2021, 01:14:33 PM
Broken clock?  I mean, this issue got AOC and Ted Cruz to agree.  Maybe there's a small amount of common ground between two very divergengent political ideologies.  At least, before we go back to wealth mistakenly equated with success/acumen, like I saw a lot of in 2016.

Yeah, I was really surprised seeing Ted Cruz of all people, and even some Fox News personalities, taking the side of the little people. These people practically worship the rich, based on their trickle-down-economics philosophy. I mean, these people got Trump elected. Trump says, "I pay these other guys to do what I want. So just vote for me instead." Which to me sounds like being told that the wine is poisoned, and then drinking the poison directly instead of the wine. Just...complete nonsense. And Cruz is one of those spineless people who works for his investors rather than any principals or beliefs of his own. You'd think he'd be on the side of these 1%ers, and maybe he will later vote to bail them out when they lose their money, but I'm just so confused by this behavior.

I hear that AOC is upset with having Cruz agree with her, and yeah, I understand that sentiment. Typically, if someone like Cruz agrees with you, that's a pretty good sign you're on the wrong side. But AOC should remember, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. If they can work together to bring some good out of this situation, she should do it, and then go back to fighting later.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 30, 2021, 01:31:49 PMI hear that AOC is upset with having Cruz agree with her, and yeah, I understand that sentiment. Typically, if someone like Cruz agrees with you, that's a pretty good sign you're on the wrong side. But AOC should remember, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. If they can work together to bring some good out of this situation, she should do it, and then go back to fighting later.
Jason (as usual) left out some pretty major info about that.  It wasn't that she was mad that he agreed, she was mad that a guy who supported a deadly insurrection to topple American democracy and essentially install a dictactor waltzes back into the office like nothing happened and acts like he's still doing the people's work.  I'd be weirded out by that, too.  Definitely a strange (and slightly hostile) work environment.

drunkenshoe

I don't understand why any of you think Cruz's actions are weird or interesting. Bullying 101 and creepy, yes, but isn't it actually shooting a few birds with one stone for the politics these people make? Why does anyone assume he wants to do any good by -almost- injecting himself into the investigation? First thing with tweeting is brazenly saying that 'doesn't matter what happened or not, we are here.' Orange can't tweet, remember?

This man has no intention of taking any responsibility of his actions with the coup attempt. His ruse -a common one it seems- to push an agenda by turning anything possible into 'angry democrats wants revenge, but we should forget this and move on quick, look this is hurting our country'.

So anything that would impact the daily media, esp. something about the common people, esp. an event like this is an amazing opportunity to be affiliated with in any capacity on social media. PR 101. Do you really think he is that stupid to think she would not react to this?

But what happened now from the cult minions' point of view? While she is perfectly right and correct both from personal and lawful points in reality, she 'refused' Ted Cruz's 'help' because all democrats care about is 'revenge'. And he is the perfect actor for this stunt because he is not a filthy rich billionaire. His profile is a Texas family man who became successful on his own and made a few millions for his family and working for his country, for good old American values. He is the very poster boy of the 'American dream', with a perfect dose for this.

Furthermore, besides all that if it were you -at any side with the real wealth- wouldn't you want someone in an investigation of an unprecedented event like this? I would.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Jason Harvestdancer

The response of the political class is predictable.  There is now a movement to create a transaction tax that is supposed to stop the hedge funds but will actually stop the day traders.  In the name of stopping the corruption of the hedge funds, the peasants will be forced out of the market.

Both those supporting the aristocracy of the hedge funds, and the support for the people actually engaging in capitalist activity, is bipartisan.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

SGOS

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on January 31, 2021, 11:38:43 AM
Both those supporting the aristocracy of the hedge funds, and the support for the people actually engaging in capitalist activity, is bipartisan.
It was the same with "saving" the banks 15 years ago.  Beware of laws with names like "The Forest Protection Act" or "Affordable Healthcare."  They don't often describe what they actually do.

Cassia

Well, just hope too many Grandmas and college kids in debt didn't buy Gamestop shares with their piggy bank money when it was $350 because it dropped to below $90 this morning. Wall Street is brutal and the hedge funds probably banned together in a huge "ladder attack" to drive down the price while lots of the "hold till death" reddit crowd got scared and sold off.

SGOS

Hold to death?  I don't think that's supposed to be a financial strategy when arbitrarily driving up a fundamentally worthless stock.

Cassia

Quote from: SGOS on February 02, 2021, 11:12:28 AM
Hold to death?  I don't think that's supposed to be a financial strategy when arbitrarily driving up a fundamentally worthless stock.
Now it is going up again ~$140...madness I tell ya !!!

SGOS

By the time I figure out how to use that app they all seem to be using, I will have missed my chance to even place my bet, and fortune will have passed me by one more time.

Cassia

Quote from: SGOS on February 02, 2021, 11:47:41 AM
By the time I figure out how to use that app they all seem to be using, I will have missed my chance to even place my bet, and fortune will have passed me by one more time.
Hope you didn't buy..it's down in the $50s now. A bunch of first time "investors" may be turned away from the markets; but maybe some others will learn there is a sensible approach to long term investments.

Hydra009

Yeah, the boom is over.  Anyone still holding is likely to take a loss.

Still, some good did come from it: a 20-year-old donated to a children's hospital.

SGOS

Quote from: Cassia on February 04, 2021, 06:51:39 PM
Hope you didn't buy..it's down in the $50s now. A bunch of first time "investors" may be turned away from the markets; but maybe some others will learn there is a sensible approach to long term investments.
I saw a headline someplace yesterday that read, "Wall Street Wins!"  Is that good or bad, I wonder.  Actually, I was kind of rooting for the upstarts.  I hope they at least dented the short sellers.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 04, 2021, 07:03:46 PM
Still, some good did come from it: a 20-year-old donated to a children's hospital.
Not only is that downright unAmerican, but he will never make it as a big time investor.  You don't do good with you're money.  You use it to make more money and to gain personal power and wealth.