Charges the Capitol Seditionists Could Face

Started by Shiranu, January 24, 2021, 03:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

I'm glad I decided to watch this video, because I felt like the rioters were getting off way too easily (mostly just misdemeanors like trespassing or disorderly conduct).

Apparently it is just an appetizer for the real charges that will be placed against them, with sedition being pretty much word for word the crime they committed, but even potentially going as far as facing terrorism charges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct3XOs7nQ38
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

Will probably give the clip a view later tonight.
Will say, before watching: These are clearly things people deserve to go to jail for. Murder of an officer, threatening to kill others (mike pence and nancy pelosi), stealing mail from the speaker of the house, sifting through senators' documents, breaking and entering, threatening violence, enacting violence, ... the list goes on.
And I do want proper punishments, in accordance to the law, to be enacted here.
But I just hope they'll put in the effort too, to get these idiots to understand why they get these punishments. Many of them don't think they've done anything wrong. In their eyes, they are the good guys. They are the patriots. They need to understand that what they did was sedition and treason and that they are on the wrong side of history here. Or otherwise, if they go to jail for a year or two years or five years or whatever... If they can't be at least be made to understand that what they did was wrong, they  are going to see that as an injustice and proof of the pedophile monsters being in charge and just feed their hatred and anger for however long they are incarcerated. And then when they come out of jail, in a few years time, they will only be more extreme and more hardened in their ridiculous beliefs.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cassia

Quote from: Shiranu on January 24, 2021, 03:27:44 PM
I'm glad I decided to watch this video, because I felt like the rioters were getting off way too easily (mostly just misdemeanors like trespassing or disorderly conduct).

Apparently it is just an appetizer for the real charges that will be placed against them, with sedition being pretty much word for word the crime they committed, but even potentially going as far as facing terrorism charges.

Very interesting Shiranu...I underestimated the malice while watching it unfold live, but now I hope the Feds are rigorous against those fools.

Hydra009

Underestimated is right.

Initial reports just had them vandalizing the place and merely threatening representatives with death.  Then we saw zip-tie guy (dark implications there), a police officer running for his life, and another police officer beaten to death.  Suffice it to say this is not how protests normally work.

Recently, it has come to light that these - there's really no word to accurately describe this than domestic terrorists - planned on sealing representatives in the tunnels under the Capitol and then "turn on the gas".  I don't think I need to describe the full implications of "alt-right" nazi-wannabes gassing people.

We just barely avoided a massacre the likes of which we haven't seen since 9/11.  And who knows what dark designs Trump had to exploit that grim situation.  We came real close to the brink, folks.

These catspaws deserve whatever charges they get.

Shiranu

QuoteWill probably give the clip a view later tonight.

While the individual charges will vary from individual to individual based on their actions and the laws ability to prove they did it, the key felony they committed seems to be Seditious Conspiracy...

To paraphrase from the video, "Seditious Conspiracy, as defined by 18 U.S. Code Section 2384, 'it is a crime to use force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law.'" ... which was the expressed intent of the riot (to stop Congress from confirming the electoral votes).

The punishment is to be fined and up to 20 years in jail and again... that is just one charge they would be facing and if what they did doesn't qualify... then sedition literally means nothing because it was pretty much a word for word violation of this law.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

QuoteWe just barely avoided a massacre the likes of which we haven't seen since 9/11.  And who knows what dark designs Trump had to exploit that grim situation.  We came real close to the brink, folks.

Honestly, I think it would have been levels worse than 9/11, and likely the worst violent crisis in American history.

Our legislative branch would be immediately wiped out, which would throw the country into chaos. Hopefully the remaining government wouldn't just let the executive branch (Trump) do whatever they wanted, but... who knows? I am sure there are all sorts of crisis laws he could have forced through to seize power.

A few less honest and brave cops and a little less luck, and we sitting in a very different country and world today.

Shiranu

Not related to the punishment of these criminals, but I cant stop thinking about the interview with one of their victims, Officer Hodges, and his remarks at the end.

"If it wasn't my job, I woulda done that for free. It was absolutely my pleasure to crush a white nationalist insurrection... and I'm glad I was in a position to be able to help."

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 24, 2021, 05:02:43 PM
Underestimated is right.

Initial reports just had them vandalizing the place and merely threatening representatives with death.  Then we saw zip-tie guy (dark implications there), a police officer running for his life, and another police officer beaten to death.  Suffice it to say this is not how protests normally work.

Recently, it has come to light that these - there's really no word to accurately describe this than domestic terrorists - planned on sealing representatives in the tunnels under the Capitol and then "turn on the gas".  I don't think I need to describe the full implications of "alt-right" nazi-wannabes gassing people.

We just barely avoided a massacre the likes of which we haven't seen since 9/11.  And who knows what dark designs Trump had to exploit that grim situation.  We came real close to the brink, folks.

These catspaws deserve whatever charges they get.

Oh my god...ooof. Every time I read, watch something about the coup attempt, I realise more and more how serious it actually was. I hope this stops here at the nazi evoking mass murder plan. Wtf did I just write?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on January 24, 2021, 03:27:44 PM
These charges will be decided on by juries.  Almost half the population are Trumpsters, which means that half the juries will be trumpsters.  Some will be barred during Jury selection, as will some of those who oppose sedition and insurrection will also be tossed.  Most of the trials will end in hung juries, and the worst of the bunch will go free.

Unbeliever

I think they won't just go free, they will be seen as heroes. Then they'll be back.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Jason Harvestdancer

They desecrated a holy site.  Of course they should be punished.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

SGOS

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on January 29, 2021, 11:44:55 PM
They desecrated a holy site.  Of course they should be punished.
I don't consider the Capitol a holy site. And obviously, they don't either.

SGOS

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/29/nyregion/proud-boys-charged-with-conspiracy-in-capitol-riot.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20210129&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta&regi_id=129705843&segment_id=50670&user_id=33a2a6e6868fd65c48b0f219d16ed7c2

QuoteProud Boys Charged With Conspiracy in Capitol Riot

The conspiracy charges were the first to emerge against members of the extremist group in connection with the assault on Congress.

These are only among the first charges to be brought against them.