News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Relaxing hobby

Started by Mr.Obvious, January 10, 2021, 03:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Looking for a hobby that might help the gf and me relax. Concidered yoga, but the gf tried that once already but it wasn't her cup of tea. Nor does it speak to me really.
Might just turn to plain old meditation. Anyone have good experience with that?
I've been finding myself growing more easily irratable. And the gf has tics which have gotten worse over the past few years. And a lot worse over the last year in Covid. She really suffers from stress and can't deal with it.
I think something purely relaxing might help us both.
Any experiences? Advice?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 10, 2021, 03:41:31 PM
Looking for a hobby that might help the gf and me relax. Concidered yoga, but the gf tried that once already but it wasn't her cup of tea. Nor does it speak to me really.
Might just turn to plain old meditation. Anyone have good experience with that?
I've been finding myself growing more easily irratable. And the gf has tics which have gotten worse over the past few years. And a lot worse over the last year in Covid. She really suffers from stress and can't deal with it.
I think something purely relaxing might help us both.
Any experiences? Advice?
Painting?
If you want drawing and painting instruction, I know a guy that does lessons via zoom, btw   :hush:

Shiranu

Longboarding is my go-to relaxing activity, though I don't know if Belgium is hilly enough for it. You can obviously do it on flat surfaces but you are going to be doing alot more pushing and it becomes a little less relaxing at that point.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 10, 2021, 04:09:56 PM
Painting?
If you want drawing and painting instruction, I know a guy that does lessons via zoom, btw   :hush:
Funny thing that. My father is amazing at painting and drawing. So is one of his sisters. But I have a horrible sense of control on my finer motor-skills.
I apply the wrong pressure and perform motions incorrectky. My handwriting is simply appalling, due to it.
I think in part it is because of me being born with hyperflexing fingers due to being born 5 weeks too soon.

Though... Maybe. Bob Ross is quite calming indeed.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Shiranu on January 10, 2021, 04:22:32 PM
Longboarding is my go-to relaxing activity, though I don't know if Belgium is hilly enough for it. You can obviously do it on flat surfaces but you are going to be doing alot more pushing and it becomes a little less relaxing at that point.

Pretty flat country. Is that like skateboarding?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 10, 2021, 04:25:55 PM

:rotflmao:  Sorry, couldn't help it.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mike Cl

First, what do you find relaxing?  Try meditation, but that is not relaxing for everybody.  Give it a shot, tho--a real shot.

Try different things--bike riding, walking (a couple of hours at a time), swimming, or any other physical type activity.  Or something like counter cross-stitching, painting, or even painting by numbers, or quilting, or other crafts (jewelry making).  Or collecting--well, anything.  I used to collect baseball cards and it was relaxing and time consuming--but that can drive some bat-shit crazy; I loved it.  Oh yeah, photography--one can all kinds of stuff with that.  The key is to figure out what takes time and interest but does not drive you nuts.  Good luck in your search.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Shiranu

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 10, 2021, 04:25:55 PM

Pretty much, however the boards are significantly longer and more stable, as well as have larger wheels so they are built more for just riding rather than doing tricks. With soft, slick wheels and good bearings that are pretty loose you can ride it pretty easily on flat ground as well.

Mines in my car, but they are more like this...

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 10, 2021, 04:23:41 PM

I apply the wrong pressure and perform motions incorrectky. My handwriting is simply appalling, due to it
That is what I specialize in refining, in people. It's quite easy, but it is a bit of practice and work.

Hydra009

Swimming, hiking, card games, board games?

Mike Cl

I forgot camping.  I used to love it--back in the day. :)  Find anything and then embellish the hell out of it!  Remember, the key is to find something you like--and don't force it.  Then embellish it to death.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cassia

I love crafts. Very relaxing and satisfying. We pour candles and make concrete statuary, which I like to paint. We used to sell some at outdoor markets but now it is just for donations and gifts.

drunkenshoe

Making models? I want to do it but find it intimidating honestly. It's serious stuff. I have a ready kit one. A Leonardo Ornitopther. It shouldn't be too difficult for me.

I want to make one for Solomon. I mean for his memory...Not sure how you say that in Eng. Probably that one. He was brilliant at that. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mike Cl

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 10, 2021, 05:31:37 PM
Making models? I want to do it but find it intimidating honestly. It's serious stuff. I have a ready kit one. A Leonardo Ornitopther. It shouldn't be too difficult for me.

I want to make one for Solomon. I mean for his memory...Not sure how you say that in Eng. Probably that one. He was brilliant at that.
I used to love that!  I like putting military ships and loved making tanks and military vehicles.  I would then make a diorama out of several of them--battle scenes and the such.  Oh, I used to do bisque as well.  Made many chess sets and all kinds of stuff. 

drunkenshoe

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 10, 2021, 04:40:04 PM
That is what I specialize in refining, in people. It's quite easy, but it is a bit of practice and work.

Said the hyper realist. That's not easy. It's easy for you, and probably doing it with you, but it is a ton of hard work and practice for normal people just to get to a normal, passing level. :lol: