News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Brains hardwired to follow celebrities?

Started by Smartmarzipan, June 26, 2013, 03:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "FrankDK"> I can't think of anyone that doesn't admire some sort of a famous person.

No one has ever heard of the people that I admire.

Frank

Goddamn hipsters.
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

Johan

Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"I can't think of anyone that doesn't admire some sort of a famous person.
Admire? Sure. But that doesn't mean I want to meet them or that I would acknowledge them if I saw them trying to make their way through an airport.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

hillbillyatheist

i would! There's nothing wrong with wanting to meet people you look up too.

I'm still tickled by meeting Richard Dawkins, and Suzy Bogguss, and got thier autographs. I'm glad I chatted with Dan Barker and David Mills on the phone.

And if Alison Krauss, or Barak Obama, James Randi or Michael Shermer, or Nanci Griffith, or Emmylou Harris or Patty Loveless came to Denver and I could meet them, I would be thrilled. I'm not gonna lie.

Now folks like Beiber and Ke$ha, you couldn't pay me to meet them. But then as I said we must think more broadly by what celebrity means.

you tellin' me if Obama was in the store and you could walk right up to him and get a picture with him, you wouldn't?
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

Nonsensei

I feel a viscous revulsion for television and movies these days.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Johan

Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"you tellin' me if Obama was in the store and you could walk right up to him and get a picture with him, you wouldn't?
Nope, I probably wouldn't.

I've met a few celebrities and most of them were very gracious. But every time I've come away from the experience feeling like an annoying asshole. I can pretty much guarantee that no celebrity I've ever met or interacted with would remember the experience if I were to meet them again today. IOW meeting me had zero impact on them. So the whole event was really just me taking up their time for my own benefit with zero benefit for them. Yep its just something they have to put up with as a result of being a celebrity but it doesn't make me feel like any less of an asshole for wasting their time. I don't want to be that guy so no, I most likely would not approach Obama or any other celebrity.

Its important to note that I'm not knocking anyone who would. If it means a lot to you, then you should do it. More power to you. But I've always ended up feeling like a dick when I've done it so I don't do it anymore. But that's just me and I'm the first to admit that I'm just weird about some things.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

hillbillyatheist

They don't remember the meeting, but you do. LOL how many people have you met in your life? (I mean every human you ever met?)

don't remember 'em all, do ya?

bet'cha remember every meeting you had with a celebrity though.

nobody is above the fray. some of us just hide it better. LOL
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

Johan

Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"bet'cha remember every meeting you had with a celebrity though.

I do. I also remember feeling like a dick who wasted their time afterward. Its not a feeling I enjoy. Like I said, that's just me.

hillbillyatheist

I suppose it depends on the sitation. I met Dawkins in an autograph line and Suzy Boggus after her concert. She's now my favorite singer because she takes time after every show to meet her fans and spends a few minutes with each one and makes them feel special. a class act all the way.  Dawkins just signs your book and off you go. not even a picture. (unless you do what I did and recruit a buddy to take the picture of him signing your book) LOL still neat to shake his hand.

David Mills came on my internet radio and we did a two hour interview. He liked it so much, he sent me a free autograph book, that I didn't even ask for. Barker was giving me advice on how to deal with a threat from a theist in Ada.

so I wasn't being a pest interrupting their dinner or something. I wouldn't even do something like that. I'd hate a hero to know who I am, but as that asshole who interrupted my sons birthday party screaming for an autograph. LOL

just click here

FrankDK

> I've met a few celebrities and most of them were very gracious. But every time I've come away from the experience feeling like an annoying asshole.

I had dinner with the previous Chinese ambassador, and several people were interrupting his dinner to have their picture taken with him and his wife.  He was very gracious and posed for everyone who asked.  I preferred to let him enjoy his dinner.

Frank

AllPurposeAtheist

My brush with fame and celebrities: Lou Rawls once bummed a smoke from me when I was standing right outside the unification church (Sun Myung Moon fame) which was next to a loud jazz club.
The conversation was like this.. Hey buddy, got a smoke?
Sure...(took a minute to register)... You Lou Rawls?
Yep.
Cool..

I left, he did too..
/exciting tale of adventure, fame and fortune

Gosh! I hope he remembers that moment! 8-[
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

FlatEarth1024

Quote from: "Plu"I must be brain damaged, then. :P
Me too...because I don't give the faintest shit.  

The only time I bothered with a celebrity of any kind was the time former NY senator Al Damato physically grabbed me at work for a photo.  It was a fantastic picture...him with his best politician fake-smile, ten people from the office with star struck "I'm with Al Damato!!!" smiles, and me with an exaggerated "WTF?!?!" look as I'm being groped by the good senator.  Good times all around.  Wish I had that picture.

FlatEarth1024

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"My brush with fame and celebrities: Lou Rawls once bummed a smoke from me when I was standing right outside the unification church (Sun Myung Moon fame) which was next to a loud jazz club.

Gosh! I hope he remembers that moment! 8-[
Somehow I sincerely doubt it.