Is Charles Coughlin the origins of fake news

Started by Svein8, December 29, 2020, 11:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Svein8

The reason news in USA are like the way it is. Is because they comment on news, but never document on news. If you want to read on the guy, here is a link to it. Its very interesting honestly. Very important part of history
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Coughlin

Baruch

I have a few degrees of separation from the 1930s.  My father's father supported fascism.  My ex is an ex Catholic.  I like Senator Huey Long, but FDR is the master of fake news (Pearl Harbor attacked?  Who knew?).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 29, 2020, 02:34:23 PM
So you're not that far from Coughlin.

That grandfather I am sure hated FDR, and probably Churchill and Stalin.  But I am not him, I prefer another grandfather.  I like FDR and Churchill on the democratic side of the Allies, because they were hard headed.  The Soviet Union could have had a better dictator, but they had to use the one they had.  I am not sure Trotsky (founder of the Red Army) would have been tough enough, since he couldn't even manage to kill Stalin.  It is possible that under Trotsky, the Red Army officers wouldn't have been purged, but before the war they were too close to the Wehrmacht (the Germans did war games in Russia to hide from the Versailles restrictions).  This is why Stalin purged them.  Had Stalin not, or Trotsky not, it is possible that a pro-German coup would have overthrown the Soviet Union in favor of the Third Reich.  The Axis was brutal, but they had their reasons.  The Allies were only more selective in their brutality.  There are no good wars, nor good guys (other than one's own).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Most people who hated FDR did so because he wasn't a Republican. They didn't have anybody to run against him. Even Wendell Willkie, that proud son of Elwood, Indiana, went to work for Roosevelt during the war, and did a very good job until he died.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 29, 2020, 03:06:34 PM
Most people who hated FDR did so because he wasn't a Republican. They didn't have anybody to run against him. Even Wendell Willkie, that proud son of Elwood, Indiana, went to work for Roosevelt during the war, and did a very good job until he died.

Yes, Republicans are Satan worshippers, everyone hates them ;-)  I don't think that grandfather liked Republicans per se, though my dad did (small business, not international corporations).  His father definitely liked small business also.  Of course that is what the Walmart/Amazon dictatorship is destroying.  Neither would like Trump.  My dad considered Nixon a traitor.

Hoover also went to work for FDR.  Not much of an accomplishment IMHO.  Since FDR was pro-South and anti-North, he was acceptable to the Southern Democrats.  If he was anti-South even as a Democrat, he wouldn't have had a big tent.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

You sound like an intern at Fox News. Not getting paid and worth every penny.
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 29, 2020, 06:13:53 PM
You sound like an intern at Fox News. Not getting paid and worth every penny.
:))))!!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

The trick with non-quoted replies is ... snickering in the dark?

Since Disney took over, Fox News has been even more US News (supermarket tabloid) and little connection with Tea Party/Trump.  You can't tell a neo-Con from a neo-Lib when they are both into war mongering and war profiteering.

My point elsewhere, y'all are mostly American Puritans who have lost their faith.  Looking for (political) witches everywhere, to burn them.  You can't stop being American and Christian in spirit, just black and white version, color blind.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Doesn't really matter who is. A man died in the late 20th century is not the origin of fake news in the US.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

aitm

I’ll look into it. I have to finish “war and peace” first though. Well, actually I have to find a copy, then go to get it.....then buy it....then.....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust