Gohmert, GOP Sue Pence for Right to Choose Which EC Votes Count

Started by Shiranu, December 28, 2020, 02:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassia

Yes..the internet really delivers in so many good ways as well. I regularly thank house and senate reps via twitter tweets when they sponsor a bill I like. Let them know that I am grateful when they actually care. You might be surprised by the number of responses/likes I get back !!! You can follow their moves (and media links) here: https://www.congress.gov/

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 28, 2020, 07:43:55 PM
You have an endless supply of bullshit don't you.  You and Baruch simply make shit up and expect others to lap it up.

Noticing a difference between tedious legal challenges and black block violence is bullshit.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Mike Cl

Quote from: CrowTRobot on December 28, 2020, 09:00:00 PM
Never underestimate the power of the crazies.  My nursing friends have colleagues who are medical professionals and loudly denounce wearing masks, socially distancing, and even the seriousness of COVID.
Yeah, I'm having my nose rubbed in that--underestimating crazies.  My step-daughter is an RN who has never stayed home--does wear a mask, but not often and does not like to social distance.  She is trying to figure out how to keep from taking the vaccine--her hospital will require all personnel to take it (them) sometime in the not too distance future.  I can't figure that out!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 28, 2020, 06:28:22 PM
It also allows skeptics to link up and spread fact-checking.  The internet can both exacerbate and fight off alternative thinking.

Yes, however, the problem is there is nothing titillating about fact-checking, reasoned conversation, or the truth. Social media is not a level playing field.

Lies spread faster online than the truth: study

In a paper published March 8 in the journal Science, researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology found that untruths posted on Twitter spread more rapidly and reached many more people than true information.

“We found that falsehood diffuses significantly farther, faster, deeper and more broadly than the truth in all categories of information and in many cases by an order of magnitude,” said Sinn Aral, a professor at the MIT Sloan School of Management and co-author of the paper. ...

False information on politics dominated the study, but the researchers also looked at false information in the areas of terrorism, business, science and entertainment.

“False news stories are 70 percent more likely to be retweeted than true stories are,” said an MIT news release on the study.

“It also takes true stories about six times as long to reach 1,500 people as it does for false stories to reach the same number of people.” ...

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 28, 2020, 05:51:14 PM
I've been thinking about that lately, how the previously scattered and isolated wingnuts can now, through the internet, find like-minded wingnuts and boost each other's wingnuttery and feel fully vindicated by the hordes of alternative facts they can generate together.

And enables enablers of the CCP in the West ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 28, 2020, 06:05:35 PM
For some silly reason, I used to think that the internet would do away with most of these type of thinkers.  But it seems to have turned out to be the opposite.  Sane thinking seems to have taken a huge hit!

You are assuming that you are sane, and that everyone should be just like you ;-)  There no such thing as truth.  Just monkey people jerking ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 28, 2020, 07:43:55 PM
You have an endless supply of bullshit don't you.  You and Baruch simply make shit up and expect others to lap it up.

You love your Chinese stir fry, don't you Fang Fang?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: CrowTRobot on December 28, 2020, 09:00:00 PM
Never underestimate the power of the crazies.  My nursing friends have colleagues who are medical professionals and loudly denounce wearing masks, socially distancing, and even the seriousness of COVID.

But medical professionals are ... gods, aren't they?  I worked with military medicine for 22 years, doctors are normal shits.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on December 28, 2020, 09:33:43 PM
Noticing a difference between tedious legal challenges and black block violence is bullshit.

The Lefties are the Master Race, but somehow aren't like Nazis ;-)  They would never go back in time and strangle Baby Lenin ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on December 28, 2020, 07:39:58 PM
This is a far cry from burning down major sections of cities.

Liberals riot in the streets, conservatives riot in the voting booth.

Woke up in your clown make-up today I take presume...

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

"That last one was possibly a legal citizen's arrest and not at all terrorism, according to trustworthy right-wing sources.  Also, that group was infiltrated by secret deepstate federal agents and crisis actors.  Conservatives are good people unlike those fascist Californian lieberals!" - a guy who is definitely not a closeted conservative

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

The book Cassia posted and the comments about the negative impact of internet on human culture remind me a scene from a documentary on human brain. Probably you guys know about it and again probably they have gone beyond that already. (It's been years and I forgot the name, what it was...etc.)

They ask questions to important neuroscientists in the field and one of them (I think he was Dutch) tells the reporter something like 'Extend your arm, make a thumb up and draw a circle around your body. Your brain is naturally programmed not to think outside of that circle without extra effort. Every time you think outside of that circle, it costs to your brain'.

I was atonished because although I get how crucial and natural for us to ignore or forget in every sense -kudos to our evolution- this base sounded so scary for a highly social animal to me as a layman.

But then I also remember what a group of anthropologists in a site were trying to explain to people who come there to ask questions. (There were RL scientists from other fields too.) The main point was what kind of a severely high maintenance organ the human brain is and therefore why its development is related to meat consumption and 'self centric' traits, if you will. (They were a humurous lot, they also called the level of human intelligence among animals as some sort of a 'glitch' with a pityingly affectionate manner, lol.)

Anyway, it seems that we have every thing ready and available for us, humans not to think about beyond at some point, or be selective about it unless we force ourselves. Yet, they do it all the time, and have done since the beginning or we still would have been living in caves. So we also have a natural drive to do this.

So, what is it? Obviously, it can't be one thing. But there is something or some process at work that results differently at least for some people and they become different than others. I'm of course not using terms like 'good', 'evil', 'moral' or 'immoral' and I'm aware that there are countless variations that shape every person's life in billions. And while that level of complication is mind breaking, for some reason I started to think that whatever the cause and effect mechanism here, it must be something very simple.

Why, when some people subrscribe to an idea, they tend to see nothing else, can't get enough of it going in the deep end, while others automatically feel uncomfortable with any idea, the moment it starts to confirm/conform itself?

I don't have anthing to offer other than the usual foolish starting point, myself. I automatically get suspicious of any idea, thought or opinion esp. if I like it, and find it sensible because I automatically think that as a human being, highly likely -consciously or unconsciously- I find some benefit in it and this goes the same way in opposite too. (We are not talking about facts, needlessly to say.)

And what happens? I keep trying to catch myself out -and others- all the time when thinking or reading or listening about something. So, compartmentalisation is not an option for me, it's been a complete failure, and naturally I was diagnosed with clinical depression around 30. It's a pretty exhausting, tragic situation. (I even started to feel natural closeness to clinically depressed people and feel cold for 'healthy' others because in a very silly, foolish way, it feels like something is wrong with anyone who can compartmentalise and feel content -that's happy in new age I guess-  in this day and age and automatically I think they must be subscribed to some abhorrent self centered idea to be able to do that.)

I'm giving myself just as an example, naturally I don't know any other mind. But is there a way out of this? Is there even a middle way in all this with the point we've arrived from the internet, mass social media, to the decline in understanding of knowledge and information; all the bullshit at one side, and the real development; science flying and dissapearing from sight up away in the horizon at the other? I don't see it. We are trapped.

PS This thread is a scary one, did you notice? LOL

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Communists aren't scary - Joseph Stalin.  WWII was the victory of Stalin and Mao against the capitalists.  And they are still winning.  Won't y'all be relieved when the world is under communism?

"Escobar: Turkey Pivots To The Center Of The New Great Game" ... "When it comes to sowing â€" and profiting â€" from division, Erdogan’s Turkey is quite the superstar." ... Turkish delight

"Bass Blasts "Deeply Corrupt" EU Over Imminent Landmark China Investment Deal" ... èµ,,本主义çš,,猎狗
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on December 28, 2020, 07:39:58 PM
This is a far cry from burning down major sections of cities.

Liberals riot in the streets, conservatives riot in the voting booth.
Here we go again--those fucking liberals are at it again!!

Proud Boys’ Hotel Hangout Shutting Down On Jan. 6 ‘Wild Protest’ Day.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/hotel-harrington-closed-proud-boys-january-6_n_5feaac94c5b66809cb33a510

The Washington, D.C., hotel and bar where the white nationalist Proud Boys hang out when they’re in town for protests has announced it will be closed Jan. 6, the day Congress is scheduled to certify the Electoral College vote for President-elect Joe Biden.

It’s also the day of a planned “Wild Protest” in Washington to rail against Donald Trump’s reelection loss. The president is urging his followers to turn out that day in his desperate, last-ditch effort to stay in the White House.

It is amazing how much damage the left does in this country with all the bombings, riots, stabbings, property damage, kidnapping attempts and armed demonstrations they cause all the damn time!  Proud Boys are liberal--right????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?