News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

satanism

Started by bob nelson, December 27, 2020, 07:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob nelson

What or who would qualify as a "satanist" in your opinion? I'm 61 years old, was born and raised catholic, and have known for 4 + decades that I've never believed in any GOD. I have always been attracted to the "dark" aspects of life and death, which is the polar-opposite of my wife and kids. I've always loved horror movies and horror literature, it started when I was 4 or 5 years old with FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND magazine at the barber shop my mom took me to. I've rejected all of the christian beliefs that were shoved down my throat for 20+ years and would now call myself a "satanist" instead of just an atheist. There are 2 basic types of satanists, theistic and non-theistic. I don't believe in anything or anyone. Death is just the end of life, nothing more, nothing less. I do however, love the imagery and philosophy of satanism. Anton Lavey started "the church of satan" in the '60s and wrote the SATANIC BIBLE to state what the "church's" beliefs were, and I agree with most of them. They do however practice "ritual magic", putting curses on people and seeking revenge for being wronged. That's where they lose me. But I love the fact that satanism uses christianity's own images to mock and deride their beliefs. I started getting tattooed about 20 years ago, and my very first one was simply a headstone with the words THE END on it. Since then, I have collected several  "anti-christian" or "satanic" tattoos, and I love the reactions that I sometimes get when out in public. People never fuck with me or my wife. When we go to the store, I always push the shopping-cart, and my wife gets behind me and we just go. People always move out of the way, my wife calls it "parting the red sea", it's pretty funny. Anyway, I  was just wondering what your definition of a "satanist" would be. Real "theistic" satanism is pretty rare, and I don't fit that mold anyway. I just like to live this way because people leave my family and I alone, and I'm okay with death. We ALL will die one day, and I'm not afraid of it, I will welcome it.

Hydra009

Quote from: bob nelson on December 27, 2020, 07:00:43 PMWhat or who would qualify as a "satanist" in your opinion?
The biggest group is probably the LeVeyan Satanists (atheists who don't believe that Satan exists and whose philosophy is in many ways inverted Christian norms - self-indulgent rather than self-denying, carnal rather than puritanical, etc).  For LeVeyan/atheistic Satanists, Satan is a potent symbol, someone who stood up to arbitrary authority and encouraged humans to learn and to improve themselves.

The related Satanic Temple is the one that frequently makes the news because of activism meant to protest Christian theocratic attempts to undermine the secular Republic - for example, attempting to have a statue of Baphomet on government property to challenge the appropriateness of having the Ten Commandments on the same government property.

There may also be theistic Satanists who do literally believe in and venerate Satan, though I have yet to personally come across one.

And finally, there are various Left-Handed occult groups who practice magical rituals and take considerable inspiration from Satan/Satanism and may or may not actually believe that Satan exists.

QuoteI have always been attracted to the "dark" aspects of life and death, which is the polar-opposite of my wife and kids.  I've always loved horror movies and horror literature, it started when I was 4 or 5 years old with FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND magazine at the barber shop my mom took me to.
As it should be with a fellow metalhead.

QuoteI've rejected all of the christian beliefs that were shoved down my throat for 20+ years and would now call myself a "satanist" instead of just an atheist. There are 2 basic types of satanists, theistic and non-theistic. I don't believe in anything or anyone. Death is just the end of life, nothing more, nothing less. I do however, love the imagery and philosophy of satanism. Anton Lavey started "the church of satan" in the '60s and wrote the SATANIC BIBLE to state what the "church's" beliefs were, and I agree with most of them. They do however practice "ritual magic", putting curses on people and seeking revenge for being wronged.  That's where they lose me.
I don't see why you can't just pick and choose.  I doubt they'd object as long as your heart's in the right place.

QuoteWhen we go to the store, I always push the shopping-cart, and my wife gets behind me and we just go. People always move out of the way, my wife calls it "parting the red sea", it's pretty funny.
I have noticed that if I'm on a mock collision course, people are more likely to give way than if I were to politely ask.  And if I were to hang back and wait, I'd wait for a very long time.  Definitely a few glitches in the human psyche.

QuoteAnyway, I  was just wondering what your definition of a "satanist" would be. Real "theistic" satanism is pretty rare, and I don't fit that mold anyway.
Yeah, theistic satanism is vanishingly rare imo.

SGOS

I suppose part of the appeal is calling on evil spirits while wearing black robes until the group is commanded by the leader to disrobe.  It's also fun to freak people out, especially your churchy neighbors like Ned Flanders.  Yeah, I can see the appeal.

Baruch

There is the polemic and there is the theology.  Catholic Satanism is upside down Catholicism.  Protestant Satanism is Libertinism (upside down puritanism).  Most Americans are fallen Protestants, and so are libertines.  Protestants view Catholics as goths ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Bat shit crazy is just as bsc in any school of "thought".
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on December 27, 2020, 09:01:01 PM
Bat shit crazy is just as bsc in any school of "thought".

Patients at the asylum say ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cassia

I have always been a darkling but in a Victorian fashion. Our house is something between the set of a horror flick and a natural history museum. Satan is just alright by me. Satan is just alright,  oh yeah. Beware those who have names that may not even be mentioned.

Mike Cl

Satan, Jesus, Angels, God, Allah, heaven, hell, Pecos Bill----all are the same.  Fictions. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Cassia on December 27, 2020, 09:47:30 PM
I have always been a darkling but in a Victorian fashion. Our house is something between the set of a horror flick and a natural history museum. Satan is just alright by me. Satan is just alright,  oh yeah. Beware those who have names that may not even be mentioned.

So Halloween is a normal day for you ;-o
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cassia

Quote from: Baruch on December 27, 2020, 10:05:22 PM
Exactly..I remember when my hard-core alcoholic father used to call New Year's Eve "amateur night"

Baruch

Quote from: Cassia on December 27, 2020, 10:50:45 PM
Exactly..I remember when my hard-core alcoholic father used to call New Year's Eve "amateur night".

My father and your father are one (Holy Father) ... both alcoholics aka Bacchus.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

bob nelson

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 27, 2020, 07:42:48 PM
The biggest group is probably the LeVeyan Satanists (atheists who don't believe that Satan exists and whose philosophy is in many ways inverted Christian norms - self-indulgent rather than self-denying, carnal rather than puritanical, etc).  For LeVeyan/atheistic Satanists, Satan is a potent symbol, someone who stood up to arbitrary authority and encouraged humans to learn and to improve themselves.

The related Satanic Temple is the one that frequently makes the news because of activism meant to protest Christian theocratic attempts to undermine the secular Republic - for example, attempting to have a statue of Baphomet on government property to challenge the appropriateness of having the Ten Commandments on the same government property.

There may also be theistic Satanists who do literally believe in and venerate Satan, though I have yet to personally come across one.

And finally, there are various Left-Handed occult groups who practice magical rituals and take considerable inspiration from Satan/Satanism and may or may not actually believe that Satan exists.
As it should be with a fellow metalhead.
I don't see why you can't just pick and choose.  I doubt they'd object as long as your heart's in the right place.
I have noticed that if I'm on a mock collision course, people are more likely to give way than if I were to politely ask.  And if I were to hang back and wait, I'd wait for a very long time.  Definitely a few glitches in the human psyche.
Yeah, theistic satanism is vanishingly rare imo.
I'm actually a member of the satanic temple, I love the way they challenged oklahoma city's display of the 10 commandments by bringing their statue of baphomet to the site just to rub their noses in their own hypocrisy.

bob nelson

Quote from: Cassia on December 27, 2020, 09:47:30 PM
Fear those that fear him.

bob nelson

Quote from: Baruch on December 27, 2020, 10:05:22 PM
HALLOWEEN is my favorite day(night) of the year.

Baruch

Quote from: bob nelson on December 28, 2020, 09:49:05 PM
I'm actually a member of the satanic temple, I love the way they challenged oklahoma city's display of the 10 commandments by bringing their statue of baphomet to the site just to rub their noses in their own hypocrisy.

No wonder you have trouble with Catholicism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.