News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Did you know...

Started by _natas_, December 16, 2020, 02:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_natas_

that injury in one eye could cause blindness in both eyes.

It's called sympathetic opthalmia, but fortunately it's very rare as there is a 0.5% chance of it happening if you do injure one eye.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympathetic_ophthalmia#:~:text=Sympathetic%20ophthalmia%20(SO)%2C%20also,after%20a%20penetrating%20eye%20injury.

Baruch

My favorite is "Phantom limb syndrome".  The worst being when your head is missing but you still think it is there ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on December 16, 2020, 03:04:13 PM
My favorite is "fPhantom limb syndrome".  The worst being when your head is missing but you still think it is there ;-)

We say 'prosthetic brain' to that in slang. Lol it sounds so serious and real in English. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 16, 2020, 03:12:14 PM
We say 'prosthetic brain' to that in slang. Lol it sounds so serious and real in English.

Part of the psychology that challenges the idea of naive embodiment.  What you have in your head, as an adult, is a consequence of a model you have built up over decades of experience, in the context of being human and living in the society you are living in.  This is why different cultures actually experience pain differently.  What you think of as your body is a perception, not an objective fact.  Your physical body is an objective fact, but that is a qualia that you don't have direct experience of, you have to experience it thru your massive filtering system.  The phantom limb is like an "autocorrect".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

That saying is for calling people stupid, Baruch.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Unbeliever

I've heard of sympathetic pregnancy, but not sympathetic blindness. I wonder if something goes wrong in the optical cortex that affects the second eye?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 16, 2020, 04:10:14 PM
That saying is for calling people stupid, Baruch.

Which should be considered an auto-correct ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 16, 2020, 04:42:47 PM
I've heard of sympathetic pregnancy, but not sympathetic blindness. I wonder if something goes wrong in the optical cortex that affects the second eye?

Anatomy.  The optical cortex crosses over behind your eyes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

As a person who lost part of a finger....and thankful it was only that...phantom  feelings are quite interesting. And can be re introduced several years after disappearing with the help of an electronic charge. I know, I know...purely anecdotal, but I got bit by a live wire several years afterwards with my finger on the live end.....all over again for about 3 months.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust