News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The stupid, it burns...

Started by trdsf, December 15, 2020, 11:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

So while I was waiting for the bus home tonight, guy at the stop asks me about my bike (it's an unusual make -- electric folding model) and we chat for a minute or so about the advantages and disadvantages of biking over having a car.

And then out of the blue he asks me why I think the news is ignoring all the "election cheating".

I said, "Because there isn't any meaningful cheating to report on."

He looked at me like I had unexpectedly turned paisley.  And launched into a rant about Dominion voting machines.  I pointed out that for his "theory" to be true, the Republican governor and the Republican secretary of state of Georgia would have had to collude with the Democratic party to make that happen.

He looked like I slapped him.  And then the really scary thing happened.

You could see him formulating the necessary lie to save his precious conspiracy.  And he said, "They were paid off," and went on about the CEO of Dominion being way high up in the Biden campaign.

I pointed out that the chairman of Diebold, who made our voting machines back then, had been the chair of Dubya's re-election campaign in Ohio, therefore by his reasoning Dubya cheated.

His eyes blanked.  It was the human equivalent of a pinball machine going *TILT*.

And he promptly rebooted and launched into Obama birtherism, completely ignoring what I had just said.  I was talking to a Black guy accusing Obama of being born in Kenya.  Oh, and that Snopes was founded by a buddy of Obama's from the Weather Underground.

I felt stupider just from being within ten meters of him.

Holy fucking Bob, we have a lot of work to do to fix the damage to this country.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Ralionalizers are like alcoholics they can't smell their own bad breath.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Yeah this is a good example for the conversation on 'the stupidity' in terms of what I mean in the Science vs Religon thread.

The man tries his chance on bullying OP into some brainwashing by openly lying and trying every cliché on the spot and he calls him stupid. That man is not stupid. He couldn't care less about what is he saying, if it is accurate or true or clever or stupid as long as it serves someone agree with him and make his world feel real a bit more. Maybe even get a contact. Exactly like almost half the country who highly likley voted for the same candidate. He just found something common and took a chance. He had no idea of the OP's position and probably he will tell this conversation all his life in his community, lying and changing it completely. 

The more interesting part for me is that nonbelievers and secular people are far less likely to take those kind of chances. Because they are less likley to be herded and most importantly they are the traditional unwanted minority.

The worst part, it seems that these kind of attempts actually work in our age more than any other time becuse everyone is looking to be included in some group, to be heard/seen, deem as a valuable for some cause. Most people are isolated by choice in mostly made up paranoia and fear.

On an extreme level, e.i. some Islamic groups do this with women and jobs. Imagine that you are a man with no prospects; no education, looks, you have nothing. You come from the lowest obscure background and the chances that you will have a job, family is almost zero. But if you get included in a religous group and become one of them you can have all of that and maybe even then some. You don't have to do anything out of the norm, just live the way they want you to. That's why radical groups take root without alarming anyone in the West. And they just approach you with the simplest things, casual conversations.

Well, I find this picture very scary. E: I mean, finding it stupid looks very trivial, as if it is accidental or something tragic. It's not. It's perfectly calculated and it works. 

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Good thing, when the Chinese Army comes, you will all die ;-)  Your arguments over how many angels or commies can dance on the head of a pin (because I am intelligencia) won't matter anymore, if it ever did.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on December 16, 2020, 10:24:51 AM
Good thing, when the Chinese Army comes, you will all die ;-)  Your arguments over how many angels or commies can dance on the head of a pin (because I am intelligencia) won't matter anymore, if it ever did.

I'm nominating that statement for the best projection award of the year.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 16, 2020, 10:32:49 AM
I'm nominating that statement for the best projection award of the year.

Turkey is the Western slave terminal of the New Silk Road.  The Chinese Army will arrive sooner where you live.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on December 16, 2020, 10:34:20 AM
Turkey is the Western slave terminal of the New Silk Road.  The Chinese Army will arrive sooner where you live.

Turkey is too little fish for China. They're in love with America though. :lol: 

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 16, 2020, 10:44:53 AM
Turkey is too little fish for China. They're in love with America though. :lol:

We have an ocean and a Navy.  Erdogan wants to play China/Russia into a New Ottoman Empire.  That isn't the Chinese plan.  The Chinese have hated Turks for how many centuries?

In Chinese, America = Bei Gwo aka Beautiful Land.  They want to use the US, not occupy it, or they wouldn't bother putting Biden (former Ukraine vice-roy) in the WH as the US vice-roy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cassia

An old acquaintance just keeps saying "drain the swamp, drain the swamp". I check her FB page once in a while. She says she yanked all of her investments out of the market when Biden won. I calculate that had to cost her thousands already. She mentioned she tried to buy a "purse gun", but they were all sold out. She claims she hates wearing masks and "who they hell do those people think they are?".

She lives on a exclusive oceanfront island with millions invested in real estate and the island floods more and more on spring and fall tides and is getting smaller every year. Her name is actually Karen. OMFG
!

Baruch

Yes, Bet On Biden ... he has China's back (see Billionaire Bloomberg who financed all that).

I have deliberately kept my investments pat.  Let the cockroaches run around on the burning ship as it goes down.  Trading on insider info or on volatility is a fool's game.

Not only is Biden the world's greatest candidate (more votes than anyone ever before in the US), he is also an economic genius (Hunter gives him half of all the money he defrauds).

Diversify and don't day-trade.  Blue chips are better than today's fads.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on December 16, 2020, 11:10:46 AM
We have an ocean and a Navy.  Erdogan wants to play China/Russia into a New Ottoman Empire.  That isn't the Chinese plan.  The Chinese have hated Turks for how many centuries?

You mean Huns? Natural enemies. Thousands of years. Which is far away from 21st century global politics,lol.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Cassia on December 16, 2020, 11:52:14 AM
An old acquaintance just keeps saying "drain the swamp, drain the swamp". I check her FB page once in a while. She says she yanked all of her investments out of the market when Biden won. I calculate that had to cost her thousands already. She mentioned she tried to buy a "purse gun", but they were all sold out. She claims she hates wearing masks and "who they hell do those people think they are?".

She lives on a exclusive oceanfront island with millions invested in real estate and the island floods more and more on spring and fall tides and is getting smaller every year. Her name is actually Karen. OMFG
!

OK. I enjoyed that too much. :lol:

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 16, 2020, 12:35:17 PM
You mean Huns? Natural enemies. Thousands of years. Which is far away from 21st century global politics,lol.

Your countrymen are Uiygers to the West of Sikiang.  Huns were just an early part of it.  Manchus = Mongols = Turks = Huns ... all cousins.  History is irrelevant?  According to Marx it drives everything, in a progressive way.  So are you ready to join the expedition to the Avatar planet to mine unobtainium?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knqg9tHDWWQ

I consider the Siberian Turks, Koreans and Japanese as Altaic influenced, not ethnically Altaic.  Like Hopis and Navajos are not Pueblo people, they are Nahua and Apache people who adapted to a higher cultural level.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on December 16, 2020, 12:49:32 PM
Your countrymen are Uiygers to the West of Sikiang.  Huns were just a part of it.  Mongols = Manchus = Turks = Huns ... all cousins.

You mean Oghuz? Everybody is a mutt here...between us,lol.

E: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oghuz_Turks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengrism

Baruch

Being anthropologically oriented, I don't play favorites.  The Turkic peoples are fine by me, I don't see them as more or less civilized than their victims.  When on horseback, they were free spirits, like Cowboys and Indians in the US.  The Byzantines were rotten to the core.  The Umayyads were rotten to the core.  Pre-Yuan China and Ming China were rotten to the core.

In that series of languages of the world, illustrated by those teen daughters ... they are all cute to me, in a fatherly way.  In that sense I am cosmopolitan, though obviously I prefer my own country and language.  I felt really sorry for China in Jan-Feb of this year, because it wasn't clear yet that Covid was a bioweapon.  Now I see them as Germans of the 1930s.

And since linguistics is one of my favorites in anthropology ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N08bZ7M3FNw
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.