News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TATTOOS

Started by bob nelson, December 15, 2020, 05:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob nelson

As long as I can remember, I have always wanted to get tattooed. My mom told me years ago that even as a kid, I talked about it. Problem is, as I became an adult, got married, had kids, and worked 40-50 hours a week, there was never any extra money in our budget for that, getting tattooed is expensive. In '94, we moved our family to a different state, one that was more financially friendly. We bought a house, and our finances got to a point where I could afford to do it. 2nd problem, my wife was against it, she's christian, and I'm not. The idea that I talked about for my first tattoo was not "GOD" friendly. It was simply a grave marker with the inscription THE END on it. We talked about it, and we agreed to wait a little while. Then on my 40th birthday, my wife gave me a gift certificate for the tattoo studio I had talked about going to. She realized that it was very important to me, and that it wouldn't change who I was. Well, as they say, the rest is history. What they say about getting tattooed is true, once you get 1, you can't stop. I'm 61 years old now, and have gradually added to my collection of ink, about 120-150 hours of work in total. I just got worked on for about 3 hours last friday, have to go back on feb. 4th to finish this piece. Some people like to "collect" tattoos from different artists, mine have all been done by the same artist, my friend Brandon. He was still an apprentice when I got my first one, I've stuck with him because he's very good at what he does. He's had his own shop for almost 20 years now, and I'll never go to another artist.

Being an atheist has definitely affected my choice of artwork. I have some Celtic imagery, a lot of Halloween artwork, several Latin inscriptions, and several "heathen" images. My entire back is a Cemetery/Pumpkin Patch piece that took 2 1/2 years and about 40 hours to complete. I have 3 memorial tattoos on my chest, 1 for my mom, 1 for our stillborn granddaughter, and 1 for my older sister who died in AUG.  Both of my arms are covered, but not by "sleeves", those are usually 1 large image or theme, I have gradually added to them in the last few years. I'm starting to run out of room, nothing on my neck or legs or hands. I can hide it all if I need too(weddings/funerals).

The whole point of this long story is this, I have several anti-christian tattoos that drive my wife crazy, but she's figured out I 'm still a decent person and has accepted it. Is there anyone else out there that is not afraid to show the world that you're a heretic or a heathen or an atheist? I love the reactions that I get when I'm out in public, no one ever fucks with me or my wife. So, do you have any "anti-christian" artwork that you're proud to show off?

Gawdzilla Sama

If they don't get the message it's not my fault.

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Can't say I have any anti-Christian artwork, the only non-geometric tattoo I have so far is "Om Mani Padme Hum" on my right arm.

I cant really think of any "atheist" tattoos I would want to get; not because I would feel ashamed or scared of one, just cant think of any that speak to me.

That's pretty cool though, can't say I've seen many tattoos that I would considered anti-Christian/theist. And 120+ hours is crazy, i think I'm still at just about 8-10.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GSOgymrat

I've never had the desire to get a tattoo but if I got an atheist tattoo it might be this:

Baruch

Dad got two tattoos on each arm, in the Navy.    He tried to have them removed because they weren't OK in white collar society.  I have never had that need.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Personally never cared for them. I would rather have a good steak.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 15, 2020, 05:26:40 PM
If they don't get the message it's not my fault.

It's a cobra and I also see infinity symbol in it. I don't get the message. What is it?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 16, 2020, 07:34:48 AM
I don't get the message. What is it?

That he was a big fan of Don "The Snake" Prudhomme?

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

drunkenshoe

But his snake doesn't look like Gawdzilla's.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

PopeyesPappy

Close enough for government work.

drunkenshoe

LOL Yes I did. But Gawdzilla's snake has a completely different pose. It has an infinity symbol too. (Maybe it means Prudhomme forever?) I think it is too common as a tattoo and I keep looking for some striking accuracy.

So it is a 'he is so famous, it's definitely him' kind of generational thing?

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 16, 2020, 08:39:31 AM
LOL Yes I did. But Gawdzilla's snake has a completely different pose. It has an infinity symbol too. (Maybe it means Prudhomme forever?) I think it is too common as a tattoo and I keep looking for some striking accuracy.

So it is a 'he is so famous, it's definitely him' kind of generational thing?

Can't see the forest for the tress...  :wink:

You'd probably have to be a drag racing fan to know Prudhomme, but if I had to hazard a guess Zilla's tattoo and Prudhomme's snake probably date to the same general late 60s through the 70s timeframe.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on December 16, 2020, 01:54:20 PM
Can't see the forest for the tress...  :wink:

You'd probably have to be a drag racing fan to know Prudhomme, but if I had to hazard a guess Zilla's tattoo and Prudhomme's snake probably date to the same general late 60s through the 70s timeframe.

Yeah, I think so, lol. But that's what I meant, you answered it. 

bob nelson

Quote from: Shiranu on December 15, 2020, 05:29:36 PM
Can't say I have any anti-Christian artwork, the only non-geometric tattoo I have so far is "Om Mani Padme Hum" on my right arm.

I cant really think of any "atheist" tattoos I would want to get; not because I would feel ashamed or scared of one, just cant think of any that speak to me.

That's pretty cool though, can't say I've seen many tattoos that I would considered anti-Christian/theist. And 120+ hours is crazy, i think I'm still at just about 8-10.
When all of this covid crap is over, I can get my son to take some photos and show me how to put them up on this site if you guys wanna see my "collection".

bob nelson

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on December 16, 2020, 07:53:01 AM
That he was a big fan of Don "The Snake" Prudhomme?

Been a drag racing fan since I was a kid, recognized Prudhome's logo immediately.