News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Catholic Church "Miracles"

Started by Paolo, December 07, 2020, 12:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paolo

Quote from: aitm on January 22, 2021, 07:51:35 AM
Tsk tsk....wasting of the seed is one of gods “abominations”...but hey...so called Christians never really follow the babble anyhoo.

I am not Christian anymore, so this point is moot (although I was born and raised Catholic, hence it's one of the branches of Christendom that I am most fond of).
Oh noes...I think I’m dead....

Cassia

Quote from: Paolo on January 22, 2021, 08:13:36 AM
I am not Christian anymore, so this point is moot (although I was born and raised Catholic, hence it's one of the branches of Christendom that I am most fond of).
I also hold a certain fondness for Catholicism. I enjoyed the show and the ceremony of being in an old Cathedral. Even managed to preserve some fine memories..because at the time is was all I had to work with. Taught me that I am different that most.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Paolo on January 21, 2021, 06:51:52 PM
What, because I have a different opinion than the atheist fucktards here? Where's the freethinking of the "free thinkers"? Seems you guys are skeptics only by name. True skepticism does not know this place.

Skepticism isn't answering every kooky claim that comes across our path. That is very close to the Gish gallup, a dishonest formal debate technique where you make as many claims as you can as quickly as possible that it is impossible for your opponent to answer all of them, which can cause one to win a debate, but it is totally gaming the system without having a strong argument.

That's basically what we have here. You brought this "miracle" and most of us have never heard of it. We have no answer for this claim and we do not have to. Most of us have no expertise in the decomposition of the human body. Personally, I wish to know as little as possible about that by the time it's my turn to do it. We cannot answer this claim and it is so uncompelling, we do not want to. And we do not have to. We have better things to do. Which is literally anything else. This doesn't make us not skeptics because we still don't believe you. We just don't need to answer every kooky claim.

SGOS

Quote from: the_antithesis on January 22, 2021, 11:27:36 AM
Skepticism isn't answering every kooky claim that comes across our path. That is very close to the Gish gallup, a dishonest formal debate technique where you make as many claims as you can as quickly as possible that it is impossible for your opponent to answer all of them, which can cause one to win a debate, but it is totally gaming the system without having a strong argument.

That's basically what we have here. You brought this "miracle" and most of us have never heard of it. We have no answer for this claim and we do not have to. Most of us have no expertise in the decomposition of the human body. Personally, I wish to know as little as possible about that by the time it's my turn to do it. We cannot answer this claim and it is so uncompelling, we do not want to. And we do not have to. We have better things to do. Which is literally anything else. This doesn't make us not skeptics because we still don't believe you. We just don't need to answer every kooky claim.
To paraphrase, skeptics try to keep open minds, but not so open that their brains fall out.

Cassia

To me it really doesn't matter if the christ/man corporally existed or not. Even if he did exist and upon his death on a cross, if the sun did in fact go dark and corpses of 'saints' emerged from the ground (without any independent mention/recording of these incredulous events) am I supposed to assume now there is a specific god? Miracles are not very scientific. Maybe Satan did all of that or Thor, just to fuck with us....who's to know?

Paolo

Quote from: the_antithesis on January 22, 2021, 11:27:36 AMWe have better things to do.

That is literally the LAMEST ''argument'' one could possibly give. ''I will not engage you, because I will have sex with my girlfriend tonight'' (just an example, by the way). How about actually PROVING that I am wrong or incorrect? What does it MATTER to the discussion that you have better things to do? Maybe you should not have signed up for a debate forum in the first place, then? Also, can we say non-sequitur?

Yeah, you are a pseudo-skeptic.

Paolo

Addendum: just imagine if the editors of, say, Talk.Origins had said: ''We won't refute any of these creationist arguments, we will go to the South Beach for the weekend''; and thus there would be no website and no one could use TO as a resource for debunking creationist garbage. What a waste would that have been for the skeptical community. Yet it is this stupidity that you claim is an honest intellectual stance.                 

Mike Cl

Paolo, you keep saying this forum is only full of unskepitical skeptics who don't want to engage you in fruitful dialogue--yet you refuse to engage in a discussion about the historicity of jesus.  Are you ever going to attempt an answer to my question????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Entropy:  the measure of disorganization of theist logic as it breaks down during a debate.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Paolo on January 23, 2021, 04:19:54 AMHow about actually PROVING that I am wrong or incorrect?

No. You and your evidence do not deserve it.

QuoteWhat does it MATTER to the discussion that you have better things to do?

That the topic you have presented is not worth discussing.

We can't discuss much, anyway, because the horcrux is under glass in Italy and there's a pandemic going on. What do you expect anyone on a random internet forum to say or do? We've never heard of thing before. We have no opinion other than as miracles go, it's pretty stupid and disgusting. What does it prove? God's infinite love that he let's one small part of a man to not decompose quite right?

You know what, I lost my keys earlier this week and it turns out they were in my left pocket instead of my right pocket and that's a miracle. Prove me wrong.

That's what you sound like.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Paolo on January 23, 2021, 04:28:06 AM
Addendum: just imagine if the editors of, say, Talk.Origins ...       

I do not know or care what that is. They can do what they wish.

Paolo

@the_antithesis Since you don't know or care about anything pertaining to these topics, do you even have any reason to ''adhere'' to an ideology like atheism? Could you please list the reasons for your position? Have you done ANY reading whatsoever?

Not that I even care, of course!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Paolo on January 24, 2021, 07:15:51 AM
@the_antithesis Since you don't know or care about anything pertaining to these topics, do you even have any reason to ''adhere'' to an ideology like atheism? Could you please list the reasons for your position? Have you done ANY reading whatsoever?

Not that I even care, of course!
It has been said the third time is a charm.  So, for the 3rd time--I say Jesus was/is fictional.  You say he was real--Why?

And atheism is not an 'ideology', but the lack of such.  All my atheism indicates is that I think all gods are fictional.  All gods.  That's it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cassia

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 24, 2021, 08:40:22 AM
It has been said the third time is a charm.  So, for the 3rd time--I say Jesus was/is fictional.  You say he was real--Why?

And atheism is not an 'ideology', but the lack of such.  All my atheism indicates is that I think all gods are fictional.  All gods.  That's it.
Yep, atheism is an unfortunate term coined only because of preconditioning toward religion. There is no '-ism' to unbelief.  Nonbelief in gods is just a side effect that occurs when one operates on facts. And flipping the coin, there is no "believing" in evolution. It is the only fact-based (due to massive cross-discipline body of evidence) proposition that explains biodiversity. Even highly "learned" apologists for religion rarely understand these important distinctions.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Paolo on January 24, 2021, 07:15:51 AM
Could you please list the reasons for your position?

What's a god?