News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Catholic Church "Miracles"

Started by Paolo, December 07, 2020, 12:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassia

I have an empty 5 gallon bucket out in the yard. Right now it holds all the valid evidence for any god or religious claim. From Isis to the god of the Jews, from Buddha  to Thor. Over 6,000 years of claims and still no evidence. Zero, Nada, Zilch. No scientific papers, no Noble prize, no dead people rising from the grave. Just a plastic bucket with some nitrogen gas, some O2, and a little bit of sand.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Paolo on January 08, 2021, 02:55:50 AM
I am not getting the joke, aside from the *obvious* Harry Potter reference.

We don't care about your wizards, man. No one has studied this phenomenon because it is uninteresting. We have better shit to do.

Paolo

Quote from: the_antithesis on January 08, 2021, 11:09:03 AM
We don't care about your wizards, man. No one has studied this phenomenon because it is uninteresting. We have better shit to do.

Just because it's uninteresting doesn't mean it's not valid, or untrue. By that rationale, God exists because that's the cooler thing. Unless you don't agree that an all-loving, omnipotent, benevolent Creator God is better than none at all. Which is feasibly, I guess, but has nothing FOR it. Skeptics should debate all issues. We act by reason and logic, not by emotion.

This post of yours was just stupid.
Oh noes...I think I’m dead....

SGOS

Quote from: Paolo on January 10, 2021, 03:00:07 AM
Just because it's uninteresting doesn't mean it's not valid, or untrue.
You have that backwards. It is uninteresting because it's not valid.  Not that they aren't interesting as curious fabrications.

edit:  Retracted an incorrect statement of my own.

Skeptics should debate all issues.
We are debating your issues right now.  Consider them shredded and discarded, but don't take it personally.  They were shredded long ago many times in this exact debate by many others with those like yourself who thought they had a brand new idea.  We have accommodated you.  The debate should be over now, because there is no more to say. You want to continue, but there is no more blood in the turnip.

We act by reason and logic, not by emotion.
False!  Emotion plays a huge role in human actions, and we are becoming more an more aware of this as neuro scientists and psychologists study human behavior.  Reason and logic are not the human default, but they can be nurtured.

This post of yours was just stupid.
Well, that's kind of interesting in a curious sort of way.

Paolo

Quote from: SGOS on January 10, 2021, 05:52:51 AMFalse!  Emotion plays a huge role in human actions, and we are becoming more an more aware of this as neuro scientists and psychologists study human behavior.  Reason and logic are not the human default, but they can be nurtured.

If you had read that properly in context, you would see that I was saying that *skeptics* act (or at least should act) by reason and logic, not people in general. That would be a phenomenally stupid statement.

Regardless...yeah, I think this thread has run its course now. Almost everyone gave their viewpoints, and for me that's enough. I have not even read some of the latest longer replies, simply to pure laziness/lack of time. I will continue to engage new replies, however, and if I happen to see something interesting as I read further, I will comment on it, sure.

But the mods have my permission to lock the thread if it's bothering the community!

Paolo

Quote from: aitm on January 08, 2021, 06:42:49 AM
You offer nothing new. Nothing. And you act like your presenting some type of “hidden treasure of knowledge” when in fact your simply gushing over the same nonsense we have heard all our lives. And you want us to spend time arguing against stupidity? No. Instead you will get ridicule, jokes (albeit some bad ones) and derision. That’s your issue, not ours. You want someone to listen to your gibberish? Go to one of the thousands of sites where ignorance and stupidity is hailed as intelligence.

And you should go to some website where proper reading comprehension is heavily frowned upon.

P.S.: Just saw this excuse for an answer.

Cassia

All over the world each day, ordained male priests chant a magic spell over a cracker. Council after council have compiled volumes of elegant prose about how this baked flour and wine are actually the flesh and blood of a dead man (who may have not even existed.) It is a glorious unexplainable miracle of transformation whereby the cracker still manages to look like a cracker, however the disgusting act of cannibalism is real and somehow brings one into the heaven that the first Christians 'borrowed' from the ancient Iranians.

My reaction upon being 'taught' this. "Sorry, you seem to have taken me for a fucking idiot". It is so easy. I only need Ockham's razor and consider the history of lies that the church has admitted to. Anyways if you kill a lamb and then get to eat it you, have not really sacrificed anything. Ancient nonsense to win over the pagans. God really does not have good magic. I have seen much better in Vegas.

Unbeliever

Yeah, I see better magic on Fool Us. "God" is just a sound people make when they really mean "I have no idea."
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

drunkenshoe

As far as I understand they are completely fine with that ritual...so I'm thinking maybe we should tell the myths about how the heathens drugged -as sober not knocked out- castrated and sacrificed and then ate their kings flesh yearly along with other animals AND that their tradition is actually a remnant of that. :lol:

I could draw them 'the ancient crosses' they were sacrificed on if they like, because they are actually certain kind if trees bent backwards, where those men -kings- are tied on in horrible ways. I forgot...probably blocked a lot of details. There is a reason why a certain style of tying is so ancient and horrifying but I couldn't find it in Eng. There is a word but when you look that up it says hogtie and although the term is a one on one translation it is not that.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

the_antithesis

Quote from: Paolo on January 10, 2021, 03:00:07 AMSkeptics should debate all issues.
Go fuck yourself.

You tell me what to do. I tell you what to do. I'd say we're even.

When you do what I told you to do, I'll consider doing what you told me to do.

Until then, I won't even consider it.

drunkenshoe

Paolo, see. You have given the right to say those things to people yourself with your attitude. You have been given more than enough for an invalid inquiry. You are not engaging with anything else and just post here once in couple of days to tell people off. At least, that's what you think you do.

Infact, this thread is some sort of Jerry day care. You are not here as an adult, a possible member. You are here because mods let you. It's not a territory to defend.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Cassia on January 14, 2021, 08:08:20 AM
All over the world each day, ordained male priests chant a magic spell over a cracker. Council after council have compiled volumes of elegant prose about how this baked flour and wine are actually the flesh and blood of a dead man (who may have not even existed.) It is a glorious unexplainable miracle of transformation whereby the cracker still manages to look like a cracker, however the disgusting act of cannibalism is real and somehow brings one into the heaven that the first Christians 'borrowed' from the ancient Iranians.

My reaction upon being 'taught' this. "Sorry, you seem to have taken me for a fucking idiot". It is so easy. I only need Ockham's razor and consider the history of lies that the church has admitted to. Anyways if you kill a lamb and then get to eat it you, have not really sacrificed anything. Ancient nonsense to win over the pagans. God really does not have good magic. I have seen much better in Vegas.

SGOS

Marginally related to this topic:

"If you were to go back just two hundred years and tell people what we knew, from the origins of the universe to the molecular basis of life, and how weird and unintuitive nature is at the atomic scale, they would think we were crazy. But if you showed them what we have created with that knowledge, they would think we were magicians.” â€"Venki Ramakrishnan, winner of the Nobel Prize in Chemistry
I just stumbled on this testimonial to a book called Ten Keys to Reality, and I thought it was worth posting.  There may be more of what we loosely call "magic" in scientific knowledge than there is in the Bible; Well, for many of us anyway.  And there's still enough left unexplained that we can let our imaginations wander and wonder.