News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Catholic Church "Miracles"

Started by Paolo, December 07, 2020, 12:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paolo

Direct question: among others, has anybody ever 'disproved' the intact tongue of St. Anthony back in Italy? Has any atheist/skeptic ever tried to?
Oh noes...I think I’m dead....

Mr.Obvious

What would qualify as 'disproving'?
Why would anyone bother?
The fuck are people worshipping a tongue for?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Isn't the onus on whoever's making supernatural claims to establish that this "phenomenon" is credible, well-documented, and worth investigation first?

Cause, I gotta tell you, it's waaay easier to make a claim than to disprove it.  Check this out: I heard from a friend of a friend's gardener's friend that a red yeti lives in the north pole.  Do you have any idea how easy that is to say versus how hard it is to investigate?  (i.e. personally flying to the north pole)

Also, I gotta ask why didn't they get a million dollars from James Randi?  Seems like easy money for someone with something legitimately supernatural on their hands.

Baruch

Signs aren't miracles.  Unless you missed the stop sign, in which case if a policeman happened to be on the scene to ticket you, it is a miracle ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cassia

Being kept in a church, the tongue of St. Anthony probably has Covid 19 and can't taste anything anymore.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Paolo on December 07, 2020, 12:58:43 PM
Direct question: among others, has anybody ever 'disproved' the intact tongue of St. Anthony back in Italy? Has any atheist/skeptic ever tried to?
Is there any organization on Earth that has a bigger collection of idols than the Catholic Church??

Leviticus 26:1
‘You shall not make for yourselves idols, nor shall you set up for yourselves an image or a sacred pillar, nor shall you place a figured stone in your land to bow down to it; for I am the Lord your God.

As usual, christainty is the philosophy of hypocrisy.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cassia

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 07, 2020, 06:20:33 PM
Is there any organization on Earth that has a bigger collection of idols than the Catholic Church??

‘You shall not make for yourselves idols, nor shall you set up for yourselves an image or a sacred pillar, nor shall you place a figured stone in your land to bow down to it; for I am the Lord your God.

Years after I gave up belief in such nonsense, a friend asked me to attend mass with her. I was down with experiencing it from the other side. It was all I could do to suppress myself from laughing out loud several times. They came around with the $basket, I gave them my pack of gum.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 07, 2020, 06:20:33 PM

Iconoclasm disagrees (see Quakers).  Also this is why there is Islam.  Allah Akbar!

Cassia - gave them a pack of gum ... typical Republican ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"Group Overseeing $10 Trillion, Called "Guardians for Inclusive Capitalism", Signs Partnership With The Vatican" ... funny involving the Vatican, now that Pope Francis is a confirmed communist ;-) ... smells of BCCI, CIA, Carlyle Group, Bush family from 1980.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Simon Moon

Quote from: Paolo on December 07, 2020, 12:58:43 PM

That is not how this logic, evidence, and rationality thing works.

It is not up to skeptics to 'disprove' any such claim, it is up to those making the claim to provide their case (demonstrable and falsifiable evidence, and reasoned argument) for their claim.

Until those making the claim that this 'relic' is indeed: tongue tissue, ancient, was dug up after a body decomposed, belonged  to 'St Anthony', and, the only way it could have survived intact for so long is a 'miracle', I have no justification to accept the claim.

NEXT...

And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Baruch

As a skeptic, I claim your icon is of a cartoon guy, not a real guy.  My icon is a real scene of a real place.  It is up to you to prove that you aren't a cartoon (AI) ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Paolo

Quote from: Simon Moon on December 10, 2020, 03:31:07 PM
That is not how this logic, evidence, and rationality thing works.

It is not up to skeptics to 'disprove' any such claim, it is up to those making the claim to provide their case (demonstrable and falsifiable evidence, and reasoned argument) for their claim.

Until those making the claim that this 'relic' is indeed: tongue tissue, ancient, was dug up after a body decomposed, belonged  to 'St Anthony', and, the only way it could have survived intact for so long is a 'miracle', I have no justification to accept the claim.

NEXT...

BUT I've heard the Catholic Church just doesn't accept any claim of miracles, the 'experts', among them probably scientists, of the Church, evaluate those claims, and have very detailed and rigorous standards for their acceptance. It's only THEN, after extensive investigation, that the Church claims: ''It was, indeed, a miracle''.

Sounds like a skeptical procedure to me...
Oh noes...I think I’m dead....

Hydra009

Nothing says credibility more than grading your own project.

aitm

Quote from: Paolo on December 12, 2020, 03:11:03 PM
BUT I've heard the Catholic Church just doesn't accept any claim of miracles, the 'experts', among them probably scientists, of the Church, evaluate those claims, and have very detailed and rigorous standards for their acceptance. It's only THEN, after extensive investigation, that the Church claims: ''It was, indeed, a miracle''.

Ones gotta keep the cash flowing to pay for all those layabout priests. A little “miracle” now and then, is mana heaven sent.....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Quote from: Paolo on December 12, 2020, 03:11:03 PM

Did you even bother to read what you posted??  Your post mainly consists of conjecture and little else. '... I've heard the catholic church.....'; '...probably scientists...'; Those statements are clearly just your wishful believing (not thinking for you have no evidence of doing that--think).

The church 'scientists' have a detailed and rigorous set of standards?  Really!?  what are they? How do you know the church does 'extensive investigations????  What do you think a 'scientist' is?  In your belief system is it somebody the chruch gives that title to????  A scientist is one who studies a topic using the scientific method--which means when a scientist proclaims that a theory is correct, he makes that data available to his peers so they can test it and see it is correct.  I know the church does not do that.  And you would not know a 'skeptical procedure' if you met one. 

Once again, your 'proof' is simply wishful believing.  And like the good little shepple you are, you simply swallow and wallow in all that the chruch tells you to swallow.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?