News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Doma ruled unconstitutional

Started by Jmpty, June 26, 2013, 10:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian37

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "Solitary"Why is something that was obviously against "justice and liberty for all" ever against the law in the first place in a free secular society?
Baffling, isn't it?

Not really, evolutionary wise "liberty" is tribal, not individual. Groups want the freedom to be the alpha male.

That is the childish side of evolution. The good part is that secularism is the adult side of evolution that questions tribalism and forces "liberty" to truly be for all. Secularism is the compassionate side of evolution.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

SGOS

Quote from: "Brian37"
Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "Solitary"Why is something that was obviously against "justice and liberty for all" ever against the law in the first place in a free secular society?
Baffling, isn't it?

Not really, evolutionary wise "liberty" is tribal, not individual. Groups want the freedom to be the alpha male.

That is the childish side of evolution. The good part is that secularism is the adult side of evolution that questions tribalism and forces "liberty" to truly be for all. Secularism is the compassionate side of evolution.
I agree, but in a free secular society, taking 200 years to recognize the rights of a minority is not a great testimony.

stromboli

The fact that the most conservative SCOTUS in memory ruled against DOMA ought to be a clue. The xtians all think that they are there to defend the Bible, which they have done, but in fact their role is to define and defend the constitution. I'm actually thinking of going to church on Sunday to hear what people have to say. Ought to be interesting.

SGOS

Quote from: "stromboli"The fact that the most conservative SCOTUS in memory ruled against DOMA ought to be a clue. The xtians all think that they are there to defend the Bible, which they have done, but in fact their role is to define and defend the constitution. I'm actually thinking of going to church on Sunday to hear what people have to say. Ought to be interesting.
Please keep us updated on that. :-D

Titania

Quote from: "stromboli"The fact that the most conservative SCOTUS in memory ruled against DOMA ought to be a clue.
Disagree. The current SCOTUS is nowhere near as conservative on civil liberties as that of 1992, where there were eight repub-appointed Justices. As far as gay rights go, we have five reliable gay-friendly Justices (Ginsburg, Breyer, Kagan, Sotomayor and Kennedy) and four bigots. The current Supremes are only really conservative when it comes to corporate stuff. So this says nothing.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows." - Winston Smith, 1984