News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Who comes to your mind at first thought

Started by SoldierofFortune, November 03, 2020, 05:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on December 01, 2020, 10:59:33 PM
Probably just my personal experience but I've never heard profanity in the US as I've heard in Britain. I've overheard some next-level vulgarity sitting in pubs and they still manage to sound more sophisticated than Americans. 😊

Italians I hear, speak profanity with their arms and hands ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Probably just my personal experience but I've never heard profanity in the US as I've heard in Britain. I've overheard some next-level vulgarity sitting in pubs and they still manage to sound more sophisticated than Americans. 😊
Here in NJ, we don't use that much profanity; we just tell you things that make you wish you were dead... or never been born.

Profanity is mostly a middle-America and Alaska thing.

drunkenshoe

Oh I agree with you. Not the looking more sophisticated part though. It's the old fashioned pub decor; the dark heavy wooden bar, useless brass accesoires around anything suitable, dark atmosphere, everyone sitting on top of each in a small place without complaining gives you that 'exotic' but evolved Victorian impression. The pub thing is Irish in origin as far as I know. ?Not sure. Most Americans I know would die in there without the personal space.

Going back to profanity, yeah that's another language in its own right. LOL
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

In wild West saloons, I suspect you at least needed enough room to pull your gun out, unless it was already out and hidden under the table pointing at your card game partners ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.