News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Who comes to your mind at first thought

Started by SoldierofFortune, November 03, 2020, 05:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoldierofFortune

when it comes to the best use of the English language?

Churchill and Russell can be shown among the masters of English.

What's your opinion?

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Sir Lawrence Olivier ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x26GN6rQbZI

I had an ancestor who served under King Henry V.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

David Attenborough is the first for me. I definitely agree on Stephen Fry. Pretty much the BBC English. Concerning American English, George Carlin of course. And that man Hugh Laurie. Wait...what? :p

The second thing is the dissapointment you feel when you actually visit the countries and hear the natives speaking.

The third thing is Brits trying to correct your 'American' accent, while Americans constantly asking why you have a British accent.     

The reality is you don't have any of those accents, or any accents and you just go on buthcering the language in every department trying hard to express yourself, esp. when drunk as people often are on vacations.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Draconic Aiur

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mr.Obvious

Good choice Bob. Dawkins had a way with words too, back when he was frequently speaking on stage. Helped me shed the shackles of religion in no small form.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 16, 2020, 07:17:47 PM
Good choice Bob. Dawkins had a way with words too, back when he was frequently speaking on stage. Helped me shed the shackles of religion in no small form.

A biologist is empirical, which is our only access to facts.  On the other hand, I don't trust Dr Dolittle ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

bob nelson

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 16, 2020, 07:17:47 PM
Me too, hitchens, dawkins, and stephen frye are (were) great speakers.

Unbeliever

No English equivalent to "fuck off"? I think it's in Shakespeare...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 01, 2020, 07:05:54 PM
No English equivalent to "fuck off"? I think it's in Shakespeare...
"Fuck off" is shakespearian in nature.

Baruch

They use the F word a lot in GB, but don't say "bloody" ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Probably just my personal experience but I've never heard profanity in the US as I've heard in Britain. I've overheard some next-level vulgarity sitting in pubs and they still manage to sound more sophisticated than Americans. 😊