News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New Planets

Started by Jmpty, June 26, 2013, 09:21:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelaeologus

I think I'll wait to engage in dialogue with someone smarter and more interesting. Seriously, how many posts could I have made in the first hour of my joining!?

Plu

Obviously more than zero, which is why it's strange that your post counter still says "0".

Colanth

Quote from: "spelaeologus"I think I'll wait to engage in dialogue with someone smarter and more interesting. Seriously, how many posts could I have made in the first hour of my joining!?
Pot, kettle?
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

aitm

Quote from: "spelaeologus"I think I'll wait to engage in dialogue with someone smarter and more interesting.?

really means:  "nobody paid any attention to my obviously brilliant post, wtf"
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

spelaeologus

Nope, just asking questions that I genuinely wanted answers to and I figured that there would be no better place than this forum, which is linked to RDs Center for Reason and Science... clearly I was wrong assuming that there were thinking people here. So you all win, I'm deleting my questions and I'll take them somewhere else. I can see why most of the world still calls us (atheists) haters.

Plu

Errrrr..... if you want questions about far away planets answered, you should probably try an astronomy or astrophysics forum. Or maybe a biology one. I dunno, I can't see your question anymore.

There's really no reason to think that anyone here would neccesarily be knowledgable on the subject or anything. The only thing we all have in common here is lack of belief and mostly an interest in science... that doesn't mean we have an expertise or anything.

Colanth

Quote from: "spelaeologus"Nope, just asking questions that I genuinely wanted answers to and I figured that there would be no better place than this forum, which is linked to RDs Center for Reason and Science... clearly I was wrong assuming that there were thinking people here. So you all win, I'm deleting my questions and I'll take them somewhere else. I can see why most of the world still calls us (atheists) haters.

As far as your original questions:
1) Could, not will.  Even if we rewound history and ran evolution again, this planet's life would probably look a lot different.

2a) Dinosaurs are no longer considered reptiles, they're Archosaurians, along with birds and crocs.  (They haven't been considered reptiles for at least 25 years.)
2b) Current thought is that most dinosaur lines were already going extinct before Chicxulub.
2c) Possibly a world with no Chicxulub would result in a sapient dinosaur-like species, but so what?  An evolved velociraptor in a suit would probably look pretty similar to an evolved tree shrew in a suit.

Oh, and yes, we do hate stupidity.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.