Author Topic: New Planets  (Read 3539 times)

New Planets
« on: June 26, 2013, 09:21:05 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
???  ??

Re: New Planets
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 03:08:22 PM »
[youtube:2fmsha73]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gflU5hO0MZw[/youtube:2fmsha73]

I thought this was pretty neat. Pretty dense planet wise compared to here.

I have no idea how life would evolve on tidally locked planets. There is no day or night time, although I suppose if the animals/aliens/creatures lived underground or on the dark side then that would be similar to some life here.

Youd need a dynamic atmosphere to even out the temperature planet wide for that.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 04:09:44 PM »
Sweet. Thanks for the info  :-D

Offline Solitary

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 04:12:01 PM »
If another planet isn't dynamic and active it can't evolve or support life. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Offline SGOS

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 06:40:15 PM »
Quote from: "Jmpty"
So are the other two stars in the system relevant to anything happening here, or are they just kind of hanging there off in the distance as in the photographic representation?

Offline NeoLogic26

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 08:22:12 PM »
I would give up half of my remaining lifespan for a warp ship that could get me to these star systems with Earth-like planets. I want to explore them and the thought that they are out there and I will more than likely never see them is just depressing.

"For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 11:38:24 PM »
Today's discovery is very cool indeed.  They also just discovered some hot super earths within the last six hours.  I believe that there is certainly animal life around one in one million stars and maybe a civilization around one in one billion stars.  It is crazy for people to think that we are the only ones in this vast universe.  But then again, those people don't accept evolution either.

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 11:58:54 PM »
Interesting article on life evolving on tidally locked planets

???  ??

Offline dawiw

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 09:38:27 AM »

This planet is very near to the star and it's blue.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:33:12 AM by dawiw »
I remain unconvinced by any claims anyone has ever made about the existence or the power of a divine force operating in the universe."
-Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Offline Plu

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 09:41:37 AM »
I would give up half of my remaining lifespan for a warp ship that could get me to these star systems with Earth-like planets. I want to explore them

You realise that these planets are most likely just barren rocks, right? I mean; Venus and Mars are in the habitable zone, and look how habitable those are.

Offline PopeyesPappy

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 10:54:58 AM »
Quote from: "dawiw"
[ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ]

This planet is very near to the star and it's blue.
I saw this yesterday and thought it was very cool. The first planet outside our system that we have been able to determine the color. The raining liquid glass part was pretty interesting too.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Offline Colanth

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 08:15:39 PM »
Quote from: "Plu"
I would give up half of my remaining lifespan for a warp ship that could get me to these star systems with Earth-like planets. I want to explore them

You realise that these planets are most likely just barren rocks, right? I mean; Venus and Mars are in the habitable zone, and look how habitable those are.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

spelaeologus

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 10:17:15 PM »
No intelligence in here... disappointed...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 04:56:06 PM by spelaeologus »

Offline stromboli

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 10:25:33 PM »
Earth is just one example of how life evolved. And another ghost with 0 posts. WTF?

Offline Plu

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 03:36:35 AM »
Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "Plu"

Even if they do have bacterial life... it's still comparable to exploring Mars. One big, mostly barren piece of rock. While it might be fascinating to explore, you'd probably tire of them pretty quickly.

I'm also not sure whether it's feasible for things that do not need oxygen to be spawned like that, although I've  not really looked into the topic. Don't they still need certain circumstances to first appear? Like an atmosphere and electric discharges and such? (Granted I'm not very schooled in a-biogenesis unfortunately.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk