News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

James Randi dead at 92

Started by trdsf, October 21, 2020, 09:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Announced on his website.  I propose a toast to one of the great bullshit detectors of our age.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cassia

Quote from: trdsf on October 21, 2020, 09:36:52 PM
Announced on his website.  I propose a toast to one of the great bullshit detectors of our age.
Awe, damn. That spoon bending guy can go back to work now.

Baruch

He had a good run.  But in the Dilbert cartoon TV show, he was featured being sucked into a Black Hole generated by Dilbert's exercise machine along with a bunch of cultists he was trying to talk reason to.  Lots of famous people in Simpsons too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I always liked the way some magicians would stress that they were creating illusions, not magic.  Randi took it to the next level.  Penn and Teller are right up there too.  "Magic?  No, this is just skill."

drunkenshoe

Well, that's retirement. RIP. It's too bad they don't make them like him anymore.

I always think there is no middle ground with magicians. They're either philospher level great or douchebags for some reason.

E: Probably comes with the ground. They're natural sceptics and conmen, they know the life and people very well, can fool people very good, very easily. If you're really good at that it is big power and the rest is your personal morals. You can make shows and entertain people, you can be a real conman, open a church or be a politician...etc or become like Randi.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mr.Obvious

Y'all just wait, he's going to come back as a spirit and claim his own million dollar prize.

Sad to see him go.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 22, 2020, 02:53:56 AM
I always liked the way some magicians would stress that they were creating illusions, not magic.  Randi took it to the next level.  Penn and Teller are right up there too.  "Magic?  No, this is just skill."

And universal human psychology.  I love a good magician.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Randi was a big part of my education, he helped me develope my bullshit detector. I hope he had a good passing.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Sad news.  He was an incredible guy who really stuck it to phonies with his famous million dollar challenge.  He will be missed.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 22, 2020, 01:17:06 PM
Sad news.  He was an incredible guy who really stuck it to phonies with his famous million dollar challenge.  He will be missed.

We needed him to take the veil off of all the lying politicians!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.