News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

horror

Started by bob nelson, October 21, 2020, 07:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob nelson

Any body else a horror movie and horror fiction fan? I'm a admirer of H.P. LOVECRAFT, BRIAN LUMLEY, CHARLES L. GRANT, etc. I love the old classic horror flicks, especially any thing with BORIS KARLOFF & VINCENT PRICE. The original 1963 "the haunting" is the greatest horror movie ever. what's your favorite?

Baruch

Definitely Boris Karloff and Vincent Price, I am that old, but not as old as some here.  How about Abbott & Constello Meet Frankenstein (1948) ;-)  Watched a lot of B&W movies on Saturday as a kid, mostly pre 1950s.  I have seen the first modern Frankenstein (1931) and the first The Mummy (1932).  Always a syncophant for the Mummy (including the modern ones).  The newer stuff seems to be too close to sadism for me.

Lost an interest in classic horror by the time I went to college, but before that I ate up the real history of Transylvania/Wallachia and the occult of the Tarot.  Did you know that Prince Charles is a direct descendent of Dracula?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

It's hard to pick a favorite today.  It seems like horror was better when I was 10.  I would judge the quality of a horror movie by the number of months it kept me awake at night.  Recent horror doesn't do that to me, but it's probably my age.  There is one exception, a recent mostly under the radar movie called BONE TOMAHAWK gave me nightmares for a couple of nights, along with that yucky feeling of, "I shouldn't have watched that movie.  It may have damaged my brain."

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 22, 2020, 03:04:50 AM
It's hard to pick a favorite today.  It seems like horror was better when I was 10.  I would judge the quality of a horror movie by the number of months it kept me awake at night.  Recent horror doesn't do that to me, but it's probably my age.  There is one exception, a recent mostly under the radar movie called BONE TOMAHAWK gave me nightmares for a couple of nights, along with that yucky feeling of, "I shouldn't have watched that movie.  It may have damaged my brain."

That is why I won't watch the deSade stuff.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

I enjoy creepy, suspenseful thrillers but I don't typically like horror. I won't watch movies where people are being tortured, such as Saw or Hostel-- I don't want to vicariously experience that. Horror movies I have enjoyed include The Shining, Silence of the Lambs and Alien. Some television shows have freaked me out. There were a couple of X-files episodes that disturbed me, such as Squeeze where a guy can contort his body into tight spaces and eats people's livers, and Home which involves a homicidal inbred family. As a kid, my friends and I used to watch the creature features on television with movies like The Monolith Monsters, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, and Frankenstein.

Baruch

Even those I emotionally react badly to.  Never have seen Alien for that reason.  Saw a comic book version in a store window after it was out, that comic book scared me!  I think some people are adrenalin junkies, and they get high this way.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

I've lately realised that watching horror movies is fun when you do it with people. I have two reactions when watching by myself, either I get scared and don't go on or I fall asleep. Then I thought it wasn't like this before. I mean, I have witnessed the whole genre make a few leaps growing up and watching horror movies was a hobby I enjoyed besides all other movies when I was younger. I belong to the generation who couldn't get scared of The Blair Witch Project but got freaked out by The Ring at the same time.

Though the country I live in is going somewhere worse than Japanese or Korean horror right now, that might be the case. Breathe.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Unbeliever

The monster/supernatural movies aren't scary, but the ones about horrible people that can really exist scare the hell out of me. I don't like watching them, but some, like Misery, are really well done. I liked The Night Visitor, with Max von Sydow.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 22, 2020, 12:43:03 PM
The monster/supernatural movies aren't scary, but the ones about horrible people that can really exist scare the hell out of me. I don't like watching them, but some, like Misery, are really well done. I liked The Night Visitor, with Max von Sydow.

So you have ... seen Jesus in action (Max von Sydow) ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 22, 2020, 12:43:03 PM
The monster/supernatural movies aren't scary, but the ones about horrible people that can really exist scare the hell out of me.

That is what was so frightening about Cape Fear with Robert De Niro. It was completely believable and De Niro was scary as hell.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Baruch on October 22, 2020, 12:26:08 PM
Even those I emotionally react badly to.  Never have seen Alien for that reason.  Saw a comic book version in a store window after it was out, that comic book scared me!

I confess I haven't wanted to watch Game of Thrones because after reading the books I know how violent it is. Too much rape and torture.

bob nelson

I loved watching creature features on saturday afternoons, and later watched elvira,mistress of the dark on saturday nights. I forgot about the "old' horror comedies like abbott and costello meet frankenstein and vincent price in the comedy of terrors. If you like 'real" horror movies about things that are genuniely disturbing,then watch "the witch" and "hereditary". As far as literature is concerned, stephen king is overrated, his stories go on forever and always have cliche' endings. This is just my opinion, and I know the old saying, but I prefer brian lumley or charles l. grant. I think the 2 greatest american horror writers were edgar allen poe and h.p.lovecraft.

Mike Cl

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 22, 2020, 02:54:41 PM
That is what was so frightening about Cape Fear with Robert De Niro. It was completely believable and De Niro was scary as hell.
After my divorce and I was dating, I was 'forced' to see that movie.  I absolutely hated it!!!  It is all too believable, which is why I hate it.  Criminal Minds is a good TV series--but some of the episodes are unwatchable for me for the same reason.  I'm a lightweight when it comes to movies like those--and all the Texas Chainsaw type movies, as well.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

I never watched that chainsaw movie, knew I'd hate it.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

drunkenshoe

When Cape Fear was out, it was completely new because there had never been anything like it in the American main stream before. But in a world of directors like Haneke or Gaspar Noe, Kargl or Lars von Trier, Cape Fear is kindergarten. What was the name of that Japenese director from 60s? (Could be later, not sure.)

Haneke made an American version of Funny Games years later. Maybe you have seen it? Don't, if you thought Cape Fear was bad.

I had to watch about all that artsy horror shit while I was a student-res asst, because my prof kept up with the European contemporary stuff in full schedule. Yeah, you enjoy it when you are young, it is all really new/shocking...blah blah, also because you really witness a real change; an evolution, but now? Nope! For example, Lynch's Lost Highway scared the hell out of me when I saw it in the theatre 25 years ago. Again, new, the usage of ambiguity was scary dead on for me. I haven't seen it since. AAAAAA!

I wonder what do kids today think about them? I mean, it wouldn't look shocking or traumatic to them I guess. Culture has changed so much...

Traditional ones are OK. The worst one makes me uncomfortable for a couple of weeks at most. People were cheering about a movie called Hereditary, I didn't get what was so good about it. It was pretty ordinary.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp