Author Topic: horror  (Read 390 times)

Online Baruch

Re: horror
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2020, 10:33:48 AM »
"Cape Fear is a 1991 American psychological thriller film directed by Martin Scorsese as a remake of the 1962 film of the same name which was based on John D. MacDonald's 1957 novel, The Executioners." ... 1962 film stars Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum.  Both actors were in the remake 29 years later.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 10:37:00 AM by Baruch »
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ ła’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Offline drunkenshoe

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2020, 01:31:18 PM »
"Cape Fear is a 1991 American psychological thriller film directed by Martin Scorsese as a remake of the 1962 film of the same name which was based on John D. MacDonald's 1957 novel, The Executioners." ... 1962 film stars Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum.  Both actors were in the remake 29 years later.

I didn't know the old movie or I don't remember. Does it have the same realism?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Mike is right, Cape Fear is very disturbing because it could happen tomorrow, somewhere. The thing is, so could Funny Games. But while the former is a traditional crime movie with specific fetaures, even social issues, the criminal and the victims have a direct relationship an end, the latter is about where the lever is broken with the understanding of basic human violence.

I think because they have made so many movies and series, documentaries about serial killers, horrifying real cases of  this kind of crime, it is almost 'normalised' or at least we got used to it. But actually it is bullshit, it can never be normalised, noone can get used to it, there is nothing scarier than that kind of crimes. First, mostly they cannot be solved because there are no natural relations between the perpetrator and the victim and the real life is not like Criminal Minds.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 01:35:29 PM by drunkenshoe »
"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are good people and bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides." Havelock Vetinari

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2020, 01:44:42 PM »
Anyone remember a movie called Faces of Death? I've never seen it, too real for my taste.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Offline drunkenshoe

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2020, 02:31:05 PM »
Do you guys know the movie, Open House? This is a movie everyone hated in general. People didn't find it scary and also thought it was stupid, badly made...etc. We have discussed this with quite a few people.

But with all that, now I'm really sure that most people moronically think -although they agree on the great difference of the physical power between a teenager and an adult; male and female- it is very easy to hit another person and give damage. People think violence is very easy and comes naturally just like that when necessary. LOL

« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 02:50:20 PM by drunkenshoe »
"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are good people and bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides." Havelock Vetinari

Online Baruch

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2020, 04:22:27 PM »
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote ;-(  1967 movie starring Robert Blake ... eek!  In Cold Blood (TV mini-series) 1996.

Psycho was based (not) on a real psycho murder in the 1950s (that I saw a documentary on).  The actual story is so horrific, that the Hitchcock story is completely different from the crime that inspired it ;-((

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ ła’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Online Mr.Obvious

• Atheist Mantis
  • Jacuzzi Member
  • The rules are made up, and the points don't matter
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2020, 04:55:33 PM »
I'm taping the original 'the thing' right now. Never seen it before. Really stoked to watch it one of these days. Halloween, maybe?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, requesting 69 last night.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2020, 05:26:25 PM »
 If you go back and watch "hereditary" a second time knowing what's going to happen,you can look at all the subtle hints and clues that are in the background. The acting was superp,especially toni collett as the mother. should have been nominated for an oscar. The fact that it doesn't have a happy ending, their family was completely destroyed and there was no one left, doesn't fit the mold of most horror nowadays. I saw it a second time with my 2 younger sisters (we're all over 50),and I liked it even more. It freaked out both of them. Now we have grown-up up together, and they know how warped I am,and they still went to see it with me. Needless to say, that'll never happen again. I forgot to reccomend another excellent movie "midsommar",done by the same director as "hereditary". check it out.

Offline SGOS

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2020, 06:42:07 PM »
I'm taping the original 'the thing' right now. Never seen it before. Really stoked to watch it one of these days. Halloween, maybe?
I saw that at the theater when it was originally released.  I went with my friend who was a year older than me.  I was eight and I was familiar with westerns, war movies, and Jerry Lewis type comedy.  I had no concept of what a scary movie was.  My friend tried to explain the concept on the way to the theater, but I was still unprepared.  In retrospect, my parents should not have let me go.  It disturbed me deeply for weeks.  I remember looking at my friend during a scary part, and he was hiding behind the seat in front of him.  I asked him why he wasn't watching.  He said he didn't want to see it.  I learned years later that the monster was played by the lovable Mr. Dillon, Marshall of Dodge City, Kansas in Gunsmoke.

Online Baruch

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2020, 09:47:00 PM »
Midsommar was reviewed earlier in this thread, you can search for it.  I thought it was a unique idea (based on the previews only).  People in Scandinavia aren't the same as the People's Temple of Guyana.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ ła’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Offline drunkenshoe

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2020, 04:49:08 AM »
If you go back and watch "hereditary" a second time knowing what's going to happen,you can look at all the subtle hints and clues that are in the background. The acting was superp,especially toni collett as the mother. should have been nominated for an oscar. The fact that it doesn't have a happy ending, their family was completely destroyed and there was no one left, doesn't fit the mold of most horror nowadays. I saw it a second time with my 2 younger sisters (we're all over 50),and I liked it even more. It freaked out both of them. Now we have grown-up up together, and they know how warped I am,and they still went to see it with me. Needless to say, that'll never happen again. I forgot to reccomend another excellent movie "midsommar",done by the same director as "hereditary". check it out.

*Please use the spoiler button (Sp in the post menu) if you are going to talk about the details or esp. an end of a movie.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 04:57:57 AM by drunkenshoe »

Offline the_antithesis

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2020, 12:27:00 AM »

Offline SGOS

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2020, 05:58:33 AM »
Tree monsters get a raw deal.  They are not all bad all the time.  Sometimes we do good things.
Yours Truly,
Groot

Online Baruch

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2020, 03:26:21 PM »
B-movies encouraged a hive mind ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ ła’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.