What do you know about the Bible? Take the test to find out.

Started by Jagella, October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jagella

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Blackleaf

Quote from: Jagella on October 19, 2020, 05:27:50 PM
I should have  known better than to ask an idiot to take a test.

You recollection seems to be failing you. You didn't ask any one person to take the test. I'm just the only one who bothered taking it.

And, BTW, this idea isn't anything new. Studies have been done before, testing the Biblical knowledge of Christians and atheists, and they've found that atheists usually out perform Christians. Mostly because most Christians don't actually read their Bibles. They just go to church to have it spoon fed to them by a pastor who may or may not be taking it out of context and/or misinterpreting it. I wonder how well a Christian would score on your test.

I don't know if you used poor wording or trick questions on purpose, but it seems pretty suspicious.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 18, 2020, 11:00:58 PMI've never been good with numbers, dates, and that kinda thing.
To be fair, neither were the bible writers.  :P

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 19, 2020, 06:09:31 PM
To be fair, neither were the bible writers.  :P

Q: Did David's army consist of 30,000 warriors or 200,000 warriors?

A: Yes.

Q: Was Jesus born before or after the reign of Herod?

A: Correct.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

trdsf

Quote from: Cassia on October 19, 2020, 06:50:04 AM
LOL ! I remember when I was a Catholic, there was some sort of argument about Jonah. Did he spend three days and three nights in the belly of a whale or was it a fish?
I think the first time I saw panic in a priest's eyes was when I asked why Judas should have been sent to Hell for betraying Jesus, when without the betrayal, trial and crucifixion there would have been no Christianity â€" therefore Judas if he hadn't, the whole plan for redemption would have fallen apart, so why should he have been punished for doing what was necessary?  He genuinely eventually fell back on "it's a mystery".

I think I was ten or thereabouts.  I've been a problem for a while.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

The Last Temptation of Christ and there was a book in the 60s, The Passover Plot ... pretty much explain this.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on October 19, 2020, 06:22:07 PM
I think the first time I saw panic in a priest's eyes was when I asked why Judas should have been sent to Hell for betraying Jesus, when without the betrayal, trial and crucifixion there would have been no Christianity â€" therefore Judas if he hadn't, the whole plan for redemption would have fallen apart, so why should he have been punished for doing what was necessary?  He genuinely eventually fell back on "it's a mystery".

Plus, this was all a plan and Judas had no choice.  It was god's will that Judas do what he did--he could not have acted differently.  He should neither be lauded or punished--he had no choice.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cassia

Quote from: trdsf on October 19, 2020, 06:22:07 PM

And  take it one step more...I have heard Christians say they dislike/mistrust the entire Jewish race for the same reason.

Baruch

The Jews are like the ancient CIA, we made Pilate convict Jesus. bwahaha.   Actually Christians are supposed to be pro-Roman Gentiles, hence the controversy about observant Jewish Christians.

Christians are ... Church, not Jesus, not G-d.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, but confusion on their part and others, doesn't help.  The Church and Jesus never had anything to do with each other, regardless of Peter.  And Jesus made a clear distinction between himself and G-d (as a narrative character in religious novellas).

The content of the Gospel of Thomas is older than the Synoptic Gospels, and consistent with the gnosticism of Paul's genuine letters and the theology behind the Gospel of John.  It was in reaction to criticism of the gnostic Jesus, and the desire to broaden the Christian appeal, that the Synoptic Gospels were written, and the Gospel of John as a hybrid after that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jagella

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 18, 2020, 01:53:21 PM
You do realize, don't you, that the bible is a work of fiction.  Why would I care how long Noah was on the ark?  It is fictional.  It's like making up a trivia test based on Bugs Bunny or Pecos Bill or Paul Bunyan.  Who cares???????

Hmmmm..................think of the fun of figuring out where Bugs was born and things about his early life and adulthood.  We could interview Elmer Fudd to discern the facts of his birth and things he did as a little rabbit.

You're in a forum called "Christianity," and you don't care about knowing the Bible? That's really strange. Are you sure you're not trolling? What you're saying is really dumb.

Unbeliever

I decided long ago that knowing the Bible was the best way to argue with people who believe it to be God's word. I don't often do that, though, except here at the forum.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: Jagella on October 19, 2020, 08:01:51 PM
You're in a forum called "Christianity," and you don't care about knowing the Bible? That's really strange. Are you sure you're not trolling? What you're saying is really dumb.
And you are on an atheist site.  I assume you were looking in a mirror when you used the words 'really dumb.'  Yeah, I have read the bible from cover to cover and with the aid of several books used in teaching seminaries.  What that demonstrated is that there is no 'the bible', but many of them--hundreds.  That nobody has found the autograph of any of them.  That the bible can be made to say what you want it to--and like trump, can then say the exact opposite with the expectation of you believing both.  It is a collection of writings that offer, cruelty, slaughter of men, women, and children, how to be a dictator, and any number of other repugnant acts.  It is a fiction, my friend, plain and simple.  It has the validity of using the collected sayings of Bugs Bunny as a guide to your life.  (Actually, following Bugs will make one a kinder and gentler person.)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 19, 2020, 08:35:39 PM
And you are on an atheist site.  I assume you were looking in a mirror when you used the words 'really dumb.'  Yeah, I have read the bible from cover to cover and with the aid of several books used in teaching seminaries.  What that demonstrated is that there is no 'the bible', but many of them--hundreds.  That nobody has found the autograph of any of them.  That the bible can be made to say what you want it to--and like trump, can then say the exact opposite with the expectation of you believing both.  It is a collection of writings that offer, cruelty, slaughter of men, women, and children, how to be a dictator, and any number of other repugnant acts.  It is a fiction, my friend, plain and simple.  It has the validity of using the collected sayings of Bugs Bunny as a guide to your life.  (Actually, following Bugs will make one a kinder and gentler person.)

Daffy and Elmer would disagree ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 19, 2020, 08:14:24 PM
I decided long ago that knowing the Bible was the best way to argue with people who believe it to be God's word. I don't often do that, though, except here at the forum.

And as the San Francisco Jesus ... you would know that ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.