What do you know about the Bible? Take the test to find out.

Started by Jagella, October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jagella

A big issue I've encountered in Christian apologetics is the practice of apologists of accusing skeptics of ignorance of the Bible. So let's see if apologists are correct. I've compiled a short quiz to see how much you know. Please answer the questions to the best of your ability without looking up the answers, and please do not look at any other posted answers until you've posted your own final answers. Note that none of these questions are meant to be "trick" questions, and I've made an effort to avoid sectarian disputes regarding Biblical interpretation and passages that are cryptic or ambiguous.

Good luck! If you know the answers, then you know as much as I do about the Bible.

1. Who proclaimed the universality of his message by writing: "I have become all things to all men"?
2. Name the four gospels.
3. What are the first five books of the Bible collectively referred to as?
4. After the death of Moses, who took over for him?
5. Who wrote the Book of Revelation?
6. The phrase "the valley of the shadow of death" appears in which Psalm?
7. "God helps those who help themselves" appears in the Bible. True or false?
8. The New Testament describes Christ as "a man of sorrows acquainted with grief." True or false?
9. Pharoah refused to let the Hebrews go because of his own pride and stubbornness. True or false?
10. Who was the first king of Israel?
11. The New Testament was originally written in Hebrew. True or False?
12. Who was sold into slavery by his brothers?
13. Joseph was told by an angel who appeared to him by day that Mary was pregnant by the Holy Spirit. True or False?
14. Who had Jesus buried in his tomb?
15. The kings of Israel were messiahs. True or false?
16. Paul mentions a "James, the brother of Jesus." True or false?
17. Which king of Israel prior to his being anointed was almost killed by another king of Israel?
18. Jesus granted his apostles the power to retain the sins of others. True or false?
19. Noah and his family spent a total of forty days and nights on the ark. True or false?
20. The Acts of the Apostles describes the circumstances under which Saul's name was changed to Paul and why his name was changed. True or false?

Mike Cl

You do realize, don't you, that the bible is a work of fiction.  Why would I care how long Noah was on the ark?  It is fictional.  It's like making up a trivia test based on Bugs Bunny or Pecos Bill or Paul Bunyan.  Who cares???????

Hmmmm..................think of the fun of figuring out where Bugs was born and things about his early life and adulthood.  We could interview Elmer Fudd to discern the facts of his birth and things he did as a little rabbit.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Long list.  I read the Bible in the original languages, as ancient literature.  Literature isn't a true/false or even multiple choice test.  Some people prefer Dracula by Bram Stoker (Happy Halloween).  You can avoid Christians perhaps (communion), by wearing garlic ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM1. Who proclaimed the universality of his message by writing: "I have become all things to all men"?

I believe that was Paul (formerly Saul). He's basically saying that he is trying to be relatable.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM2. Name the four gospels.

Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM3. What are the first five books of the Bible collectively referred to as?

The Torah.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM4. After the death of Moses, who took over for him?

Aaron.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM5. Who wrote the Book of Revelation?

I don't believe there's a consensus on that. I believe his name was John, but which John it is is up to debate, I believe.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM6. The phrase "the valley of the shadow of death" appears in which Psalm?

I don't fucking know. lol. I always hated memorizing the locations of verses.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM7. "God helps those who help themselves" appears in the Bible. True or false?

False.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM8. The New Testament describes Christ as "a man of sorrows acquainted with grief." True or false?

I believe so. IIRC, it's referencing an Old Testament verse.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM9. Pharoah refused to let the Hebrews go because of his own pride and stubbornness. True or false?

Ha. Most Christians can read the verse and still get it wrong. False. The pharaoh refused to let the Hebrews go because God hardened his heart. So much for free will, huh?

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM10. Who was the first king of Israel?

Ah, shit. What was his name? Was it Saul? I think it was Saul. He didn't last long before David took over.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM11. The New Testament was originally written in Hebrew. True or False?

Depends on which books you're talking about. I believe they were written in three different languages. Mainly Greek. So I guess false.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM12. Who was sold into slavery by his brothers?

Joseph. They were jealous he was the favorite child, and he was having dreams about ruling over the rest of them. He was kind of a dick.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM13. Joseph was told by an angel who appeared to him by day that Mary was pregnant by the Holy Spirit. True or False?

By day? No. It was in a dream.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM14. Who had Jesus buried in his tomb?

Goddamn it. What was his name? He kind of just showed up out of nowhere to offer the tomb. Kinda sus, actually. Almost like the author realized they needed to get a homeless man into a tomb but neglected to introduce this character earlier. I'll be kicking myself later for forgetting his name.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM15. The kings of Israel were messiahs. True or false?

Uhh. False? Never heard it suggested that they were before.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM16. Paul mentions a "James, the brother of Jesus." True or false?

Can't remember if Paul specifically mentions him, but he was definitely in the New Testament. It's debated how literal that title was. Many assume (wrongly) that Jesus was an only child, but I kinda doubt his literal brother actually wrote the book of James. I'll say it's true.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM17. Which king of Israel prior to his being anointed was almost killed by another king of Israel?

David. He almost got impaled. He was getting too popular, so Saul was getting jelly.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM18. Jesus granted his apostles the power to retain the sins of others. True or false?

What? This sounds like some D&D shit. False.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM19. Noah and his family spent a total of forty days and nights on the ark. True or false?

False. That's a common misconception. But the Bible was very confusing with how it number its days, so...

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM20. The Acts of the Apostles describes the circumstances under which Saul's name was changed to Paul and why his name was changed. True or false?

True. But I think that was described in two different places, with slightly different details.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 18, 2020, 07:18:17 PMWhat? This sounds like some D&D shit.
Hey now, Christianity is nothing like D&D.  You just have a divine spellcaster who can cast create food, transmute water into wine, cast waterwalk, attacked some merchant NPCs because he was mad, cursed a plant for some reason, got betrayed by a someone in his party, got put on trial, and got raised from the dead without explanation.

Okay, so it's a lot like D&D.

Jagella

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 18, 2020, 07:18:17 PM
QuoteAfter the death of Moses, who took over for him?

Aaron.

The correct answer is Joshua. Aaron worked for Moses while Moses yet lived.

QuoteThe phrase "the valley of the shadow of death" appears in which Psalm?

I don't fucking know. lol. I always hated memorizing the locations of verses.

The correct answer is Psalm 23. I thought it was a famous Psalm.

QuoteThe New Testament describes Christ as "a man of sorrows acquainted with grief." True or false?

I believe so.

It was taken from Isaiah 53.

QuoteWho had Jesus buried in his tomb?

Goddamn it. What was his name?

It was Joseph of Arimathea.

QuoteThe kings of Israel were messiahs. True or false?

Uhh. False? Never heard it suggested that they were before.

True. The kings of Israel were anointed hence they were messiahs. Messiah means "anointed one."

QuotePaul mentions a "James, the brother of Jesus." True or false?

Can't remember if Paul specifically mentions him...

Paul never mentions a brother of Jesus. He does refer to a "James, the brother of the Lord."

QuoteJesus granted his apostles the power to retain the sins of others. True or false?

What? This sounds like some D&D shit. False.

It's true!

QuoteThe Acts of the Apostles describes the circumstances under which Saul's name was changed to Paul and why his name was changed. True or false?

True.

False. Acts changes the name without a reason why.

Your final score is 12/20 = 60%

Blackleaf

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 09:58:35 PMThe correct answer is Psalm 23. I thought it was a famous Psalm.

It is, and I know the verse. I've never been good with numbers, dates, and that kinda thing. History was the one subject I struggled with in school for that reason.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 09:58:35 PMIt was taken from Isaiah 53.

You sneaky bastard. Isaiah 53 was refenced multiple times in the New Testament. You picked the one verse they skipped.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 09:58:35 PMIt was Joseph of Arimathea.

Ah. I should have gone with my gut. I was thinking Joseph, but I was like, "Nah. That's his dad's name." I had that Arimathea part in my head too.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 09:58:35 PMPaul never mentions a brother of Jesus. He does refer to a "James, the brother of the Lord."

Oh, come on. Who do you think the "Lord" is he was referring to? I thought you said no trick questions.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 09:58:35 PMIt's true!

Where?

Edit: Oh, FFS. I Googled it.

"If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained." (John 20:23)

Why didn't you just say "forgive sins" instead of "retain sins?" That makes it sound like they're taking their sins upon themselves. The important part is that they can forgive sins, or choose not to (retaining being the latter). Another trick question I would have gotten right, if you weren't trying to be sneaky. BTW, the word "retain" is only used in some translations. The NIV words it better:

"If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 09:58:35 PMFalse. Acts changes the name without a reason why.

Umm. Excuse me? Acts 9 would like a word. It describes the Road to Damascus, his conversion story. That was the reason he changed his name.

Quote from: Jagella on October 18, 2020, 09:58:35 PMYour final score is 12/20 = 60%

15/20 (75%), adjusting for bullshit.
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cassia

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 19, 2020, 04:57:17 AM
The whole thread...lol.
LOL ! I remember when I was a Catholic, there was some sort of argument about Jonah. Did he spend three days and three nights in the belly of a whale or was it a fish?

Baruch

Quote from: Cassia on October 19, 2020, 06:50:04 AM
LOL ! I remember when I was a Catholic, there was some sort of argument about Jonah. Did he spend three days and three nights in the belly of a whale or was it a fish?

Behemoth and Leviathan are mythical creatures.  One could deduce that Leviathan is implied.  Part of extra-Biblical literature.  Leviathan is the main course at the messianic banquet at the end times, not the sentient steer at The Café At The End Of The Universe, with the delayed messiah.  Though this is derivative of Canaanite and Babylonian stories.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote6. The phrase "the valley of the shadow of death" appears in which Psalm?
I can't remember where or why I had to memorize this Psalm, probably in my Lutheran confirmation.  It may have been part of our weekly ritual to say it in church, but at one time, I knew the 23rd Psalm like the psalm of my hand (yuk, yuk).  I think it's the most famous Psalm.  The 23rd?  What?!  You mean there are other Psalms?  I never read them, but why did we memorize the one that's fucking down at number 23 on the list?  I tried reciting it just now, and I couldn't remember the first sentence, just fragments of the whole that are disconnected.  Oh wait! The first sentence is the test question: "Yea that I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil."  It's coming back now.  <Curses!>  I don't want that in my head again.

Baruch

Read all of the Psalms in the original Hebrew ;-)  Psalm 23 is a Christian favorite, because of martyrdom.  Psalm 1 is good vs evil ... so that should be an atheist favorite ;-)

@Jagella ... on this OP, the ignorance of Church and Synagogue people about religion, per religion (not materialism) is a constant source of despair.  Human beings are mostly ignorant, stupid and foolish.  Materialists think they have escaped that condition, but they are deluded by Satan ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

I used to have memorized the order of every book in the Bible. I had to study it for Confirmation back when I was Lutheran. But my brain let that useless information go right away. Why bother, when your Bible has tabs labeling every book of the Bible for you? It's not like it's hard to find them. I used to memorize Bible verses too, but the only one I still have completely memorized is John 3:16. I've always (and this is still true) been more interested in the content of the scriptures than where to find them. What does it say? What does it mean? What is the cultural significance? What apologetics do people employ to ignore what the scriptures actually say? That's the stuff that interests me. If I need to find something specific, that's what BibleGateway.com is for.
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cassia on October 19, 2020, 06:50:04 AM

Well, unless I'm mistaken, whales are physically incapable of swallowing a person due to the filters they have in their mouths, designed to catch krill. So that should take whales off of the table. As for surviving in the belly of a fish for that long? I dunno. I think you'd start dissolving after a while, and I don't know how many fish are even capable of swallowing a person whole. So it's clearly a silly, made up story.

What I find really interesting is how out of character God is in that story, considering it was in the Old Testament. Jonah's God actually seems to care about the lives of people, and even animals. Even in the New Testament, God would kill you if you sold your house and pretended to give 100% of it to the church, when you actually kept a little of it.
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Well, fraud should be punished by death ... per Communism.  Jesus was the first communist/hippie ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.