News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Account Termination

Started by Anonymous, June 26, 2013, 06:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saul the not so great!

Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"I submit that we stop indulging people who want to delete their accounts.
Why? Is it really that hard to delete an account?

Savior2006

Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"I submit that we stop indulging people who want to delete their accounts.

They can just leave and stop posting.

But that wouldn't be nearly as dramatic. I've got the same account tag for the Splinter Cell forums  After Convictions, I (wait for it) stopped posting there. My account there isn't deleted, but why would it be when I've stopped posting there.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Plu

QuoteIs there any reason apart from a possible technical difficulty? It's only reasonable to request a delete button in the profile, no?

Breaking up all conversations you have ever been involved in and making all those threads impossible to follow for anyone who wants to read them. That's the reason none of these forums include the delete button in a user's profile.

Johan

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"It's only reasonable to request a delete button in the profile, no?
No. Providing a delete button in the user control panel of any internet forum is a horrible idea. Especially when that forum tends to focus on hot button topics such as this one does.

We have all heard the adage about there being no delete button on the internet. The reason knowing people want to spread that adage to the less knowing people is because your actions tend to change when you understand that they are likely permanent. I used the phrase tend to for a reason. Obviously not everyone does this all the time. People will always post rants and photos and videos that they probably shouldn't and will likely regret later. But the knowledge that once its out there, you can't delete it does effectively keep tons of potentially regretful things off the net and that's as it should be.

So on a forum such as this one where people tend to get into heated debates about sometimes controversial topics, giving users a 'delete all' button is a horrible idea because it removes the control valve of having consequences for your own actions.

I would say that there is probably nothing wrong with giving users a deactivate my account button which more or less allows users to ban themselves. But that button should NOT delete the users account or any posts and the button should make it clear to the user that it will not delete any posts.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

FlatEarth1024

They can just leave and stop posting.
I have to agree here.  It's real simple, folks.  Just hit the street, beat your feet, and keep walking.  We have enough to do around here without refunding the admission fee for every single person who gets buyer's remorse.  Just delete the site from your "Favorites" list and have a nice life.  It's really that simple.