British eight times more likely to be raped on holiday

Started by Jason78, June 26, 2013, 05:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason78

From today's Metro

QuoteBritish tourists are eight times more likely to be raped on holiday in Mediterranean resorts than at home, according to a study.

The 'terrifying' figures were obtained through a survey of tourists returning from trips. It revealed that one in ten women and one in 15 men had been sexually assaulted or harassed.

One in 60 British men and women (1.7 per cent) claimed to have been raped – more than eight times higher than the domestic rate.

Researchers from the European Institute of Studies on Prevention, which conducts research into violence, sexual behaviour, drunkenness and drug use, surveyed 6,502 German and British tourists returning home from Crete, Cyprus, Italy, Portugal and Spain.

Scary stuff for anyone thinking of holidaying abroad this year.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

surly74

QuoteResearchers from the European Institute of Studies on Prevention, which conducts research into violence, sexual behaviour, drunkenness and drug use, surveyed 6,502 German and British tourists returning home from Crete, Cyprus, Italy, Portugal and Spain.

when people go on vacation they tend to do things they typically don't do which can put them in bad situations. be smart people.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Youssuf Ramadan

Yeah, we Brits have a well-earned reputation for getting absolutely shitfaced when on holiday abroad.  I would imagine the vast majority of these cases are perpetrated by other holidaymakers.

Quote'I think it's incumbent on the authorities in these destinations to find out what's going on and to reduce the incidence of these sorts of crimes,' he added

I think it's incumbent on visitors to take some responsibility for their own behaviour and stop acting like assholes.

Jason78

Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"Yeah, we Brits have a well-earned reputation for getting absolutely shitfaced when on holiday abroad.  I would imagine the vast majority of these cases are perpetrated by other holidaymakers.

I strongly suspect that this is the case.  

Quote'Those who claimed to have suffered the most were tourists visiting Mallorca and Crete, young, British, gay or bisexual, frequent drinkers or attracted to bars where people get drunk, or cocaine consumers.'

There's no mention of demographics for the perpetrators though, which is probably much more difficult to get data on.

Edit:  Not all rapes are reported, and then not all suspects are caught.  So we're probably only seeing a fraction of the right numbers.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Hydra009

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "Jason78"Edit:  Not all rapes are reported, and then not all suspects are caught.  So we're probably only seeing a fraction of the right numbers.

Yeah, from what I've been told in many cases the local police are of the opinion that as soon as the victim is back home and out of the country then it is no longer their problem. So if this is the case then the local police may be less than interested in dealing with a reported rape in the first place.  I'm not saying that this is standard, but I've heard enough stories from different people that suggest this isn't that rare.

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"Yeah, we Brits have a well-earned reputation for getting absolutely shitfaced when on holiday abroad.  I would imagine the vast majority of these cases are perpetrated by other holidaymakers.

Quote'I think it's incumbent on the authorities in these destinations to find out what's going on and to reduce the incidence of these sorts of crimes,' he added

I think it's incumbent on visitors to take some responsibility for their own behaviour and stop acting like assholes.

That....sounds a bit like victim-blaming. Correct me if I'm wrong about what you meant, though.
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

Shiranu

Man, am I proud to be of Mediterranean heritage sometimes...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

surly74

Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"

That....sounds a bit like victim-blaming. Correct me if I'm wrong about what you meant, though.

i wouldn't take it as victim blaming but being responsible for yourself. Why does that go out the door? People aren't responsible for when they put themselves in bad situation?

Do you leave your car running when you go in shopping? What would happen if it was stolen? It's your property and no one has the right to your property but you did a piss poor job of protecting it by even simple means. lock the car and it doesn't get stolen. watching how much you drink or staying with a group of people are simple means.

enough of saying someone is blaming the victim for saying they should have been smarter. poor judgement goes both ways. on vacation and someone is drinking, that does not mean their responsibility is absolved. doesn't mean they deserve anything but being smart is a two way street.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

surly74

Quote from: "Shiranu"Man, am I proud to be of Mediterranean heritage sometimes...

yeah because now that i know you are i'm labelling you a potential rapist...c'mon man, you don't like it when a segment of people is painted with a broad brush...don't do it to yourself.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "surly74"i wouldn't take it as victim blaming but being responsible for yourself.

Exactly.  I'm a big believer in personal responsibility.  From the perpetrator's point of view, that includes not getting so hammered that you can't tell whether your prospective bedfellow is willing or not.  From the victim's point of view it also means being responsible enough to realise that you are in a place where you hardly know anyone and getting fucked-up drunk may put you in a risky situation.  Obviously not all attacks fall into these categories but it is possible to reduce your chances of being in the shit either way.

the_antithesis

Well, that settles it. If you Brits don't want to get raped, you should holiday here in the States where you're more likely to be murdered.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "the_antithesis"Well, that settles it. If you Brits don't want to get raped, you should holiday here in the States where you're more likely to be murdered.

Hmm... that's a tough one... :lol: