News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Generations come and go...

Started by SoldierofFortune, September 28, 2020, 09:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoldierofFortune

Last summer i swam in a little lake full of natural spring water.
It was freezing cold since its water comes from the melted ice from the mountains, or idk, it comes from under the Earth; and i was high on marijuana, this felt like more freezing to me.
The pool-like lake was near the Ephesus, once upon a time coastal Greek city-state.

Who knows who swam there before me, and before the 21nd century.
Going back to 2 milleniums ago, it is freezing and freaky-- odd, idk.

drunkenshoe

I remember swimming in a few caves, freezing. It's really freezing, lol. Cleopatra's Cove wasn't that bad though.

I get that feeling at a lot of places in our land...too ancient and too much character.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mike Cl

I have not swam in ancient waters.  But I got much the same feeling (minus the freezing) walking the land of the Anasazi Indians--ancient, awesome and puzzling.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Been to Ephesus ... so you have walked in my ancient footsteps (no, not that old).  Dad and I when I was a teen, we skinny dipped in a Colorado Rocky Mountain stream in summer, no reefers ... and been a soprano ever since ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

You guys also have Pacific Ocean. It is enough to shudder and feel smaller than an ant while gazing at it. That's what I felt when I saw it for the first time.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 29, 2020, 01:20:49 PM
You guys also have Pacific Ocean. It is enough to shudder and feel smaller than an ant while gazing at it. That's what I felt when I saw it for the first time.

Big ocean.  Rip tides tried to kill me when I was 22 ;-(  Mediterranean outside of dirty ports, is quite idillic.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

That is a cold swim.  Well, it is not a swim, really, but a wet--too many waves to really swim, but they do insure you get wet!  Oregon and Washington Pacific Ocean is cold, cold, cold.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 29, 2020, 05:11:46 PM
That is a cold swim.  Well, it is not a swim, really, but a wet--too many waves to really swim, but they do insure you get wet!  Oregon and Washington Pacific Ocean is cold, cold, cold.

Graveyard of ships because of Winter storms ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 29, 2020, 05:11:46 PM

I don't think I would dare to swim in any ocean, lol. Not just the cold, we have very cold parts in the Aegean too. Ocean is scary to me. Too big. There is nothing bigger than that on the planet, lol. Probably cultural though. People do swim in the Ocean.

Then there is Mediterranean...pffft salty bath water. But there are rocky shores where cold fresh water flows into the turqoise sea, now that's a treat under scorching sun.

Mike Cl

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 30, 2020, 04:38:22 AM
I don't think I would dare to swim in any ocean, lol. Not just the cold, we have very cold parts in the Aegean too. Ocean is scary to me. Too big. There is nothing bigger than that on the planet, lol. Probably cultural though. People do swim in the Ocean.

Then there is Mediterranean...pffft salty bath water. But there are rocky shores where cold fresh water flows into the turqoise sea, now that's a treat under scorching sun.
I got into the Pacific only as a child.  And then we mainly played run from the waves or let them knock us down in waist deep water.  Never any further out than that.  The Atlantic was almost hot feeling when we swam there.  We also have the Great Salt Lake and it really does keep one afloat with no effort.  And it was so salty that we had to shower off back in the hotel room we stayed in.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 30, 2020, 09:40:57 AM
I got into the Pacific only as a child.  And then we mainly played run from the waves or let them knock us down in waist deep water.  Never any further out than that.  The Atlantic was almost hot feeling when we swam there.  We also have the Great Salt Lake and it really does keep one afloat with no effort.  And it was so salty that we had to shower off back in the hotel room we stayed in.

Before I nearly drown at Mission Beach in San Diego, I nearly drown at Salton Sea.  Like the Great Salt Lake/Dead Sea.  Don't be cocky even in an inland sea/lake.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

I've crossed the Pacific numerous times. The first was in 1970 and I lost my birthday. I've traveled the length and width in warships, traveling mostly at 12  knots (13.2 mph). It's big.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 30, 2020, 07:10:24 PM
I've crossed the Pacific numerous times. The first was in 1970 and I lost my birthday. I've traveled the length and width in warships, traveling mostly at 12  knots (13.2 mph). It's big.

I thought you got a free date, when you crossed the date line ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 30, 2020, 09:40:57 AM

(I was thinking 'they have sea sized lakes' when writing that^, lol.) Mediterrenean is very salty too. And with that sun, it's hell for me, I have UV allergy. I have never swum in a lake. Not a proper one. In river and a couple of caves and that's near their openings, not inside.